Cardinal team report from Kent Sommers

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals | Jones Competing For Starting OLB - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:10:01 -0700

Kent Somers, of the Arizona Republic, reports for the Sporting News that Arizona Cardinals LB Greg Jones is competing to start at an outside linebacker position this summer.

Cardinals | Johnson To Receive Significant Playing Time - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:08:24 -0700

Kent Somers, of the Arizona Republic, reports for the Sporting News that Arizona Cardinals rookie WR Bryant Johnson is expected to receive a lot of playing time this season.

Cardinals | Fisher Competing For Starting OLB - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:07:54 -0700

Kent Somers, of the Arizona Republic, reports for the Sporting News that Arizona Cardinals Levar Fisher is competing to start at an outside linebacker position this summer.

Cardinals | Gilmore Expected To Start? - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:07:05 -0700

Kent Somers, of the Arizona Republic, reports for the Sporting News that Arizona Cardinals WR Bryan Gilmore is expected to start opposite WR Jason McAddley in 2003.

Cardinals | Looking To Add Fullback - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:01:56 -0700

Kent Somers, of the Arizona Republic, reports for the Sporting News that Arizona Cardinals are looking to add a fullback before training camp after the release of FB Dennis McKinley.

Cardinals | Boldin To Receive Significant Playing Time - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:59:08 -0700

Kent Somers, of the Arizona Republic, reports for the Sporting News that Arizona Cardinals rookie WR Anquan Boldin is expected to receive a lot of playing time this season.

Cardinals | Woods Competing For Starting OLB - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:58:52 -0700

Kent Somers, of the Arizona Republic, reports for the Sporting News that Arizona Cardinals LB LeVar Woods is competing to start at an outside linebacker position this summer.

Cardinals | Thompson Only Definite Starter - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:58:26 -0700

Kent Somers, of the Arizona Republic, reports for the Sporting News that Arizona Cardinals LB Raynoch Thompson appears to be the only definite starter at linebacker for the upcoming season.

OP
OP
40yearfan

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand they've called Anna Nicole Smith in for a try--out.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by EndZone
Watch Scooby beat out Anderson for the 3rd back...but Anderson will make the team with us only keeping 1 FB.

I ribbed EZ about this one yesterday but, this is what Jureki was reporting yesterday. The Cards may be happy enough to go into camp with Hodgins and PJ Comella. They could go into the season with one FB and use Steve Bush when needed. That way they could keep Smith, Shipp, Scobey, and the winner of the Travis Prentis-Damian Anderson battle. We usually keep a roster of 3 RBs and 2 FBs. This would give us 4 RBs, 1 FB and 1 FB/TE.

mdsisquo

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by earthsci
I ribbed EZ about this one yesterday but, this is what Jureki was reporting yesterday. The Cards may be happy enough to go into camp with Hodgins and PJ Comella. They could go into the season with one FB and use Steve Bush when needed. That way they could keep Smith, Shipp, Scobey, and the winner of the Travis Prentis-Damian Anderson battle. We usually keep a roster of 3 RBs and 2 FBs. This would give us 4 RBs, 1 FB and 1 FB/TE.

I agree, and I think this is a very good idea. I would have to lose someone like Anderson if Scobey beats him out. And even though Scobey has not played a down in the NFL, i would not want to lose him if anderson would to beat him out. Since Bush can play FB/TE he can actually save us a roster spot anyway.

BTW, I think our RB's will be in this order.

Smith
Shipp
Scobey
Anderson

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I, too, agree. I like the idea of the 4 running backs and 1 fullback.

The only place I might not agree with is Scobey beating out Prentice. I like all of them, and I think Johnny Roland does too.
He's referred to them as his "stable of stallions". ...........
What a nice "problem" to have!
I think it may boil down to who can the Cards also keep on the practice squad. It's going to be a tough decision.
Is Scobey still eligible for practice squad? I think he would have one of the better chances of sliding though wavers.
Comellia would definitely seem to be headed for the practice squad (If he doesn't get cut, which I doubt).
I just have a gut feeling Travis Prentice may yet become a nice addition here. Reports, so far, seem to indicate he is playing well.

Does Bush play special teams? Seems to me, I remember seeing him, and he does a decent job. I like the options he brings to the field when he plays FB. I'm excited about seeing ALL these guys play. Boy!!!! I'd love to be able to watch training camp this year!!!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tangodnzr
I, too, agree. I like the idea of the 4 running backs and 1 fullback.

The only place I might not agree with is Scobey beating out Prentice. I like all of them, and I think Johnny Roland does too.
He's referred to them as his "stable of stallions". ...........
What a nice "problem" to have!
I think it may boil down to who can the Cards also keep on the practice squad. It's going to be a tough decision.
Is Scobey still eligible for practice squad? I think he would have one of the better chances of sliding though wavers.
Comellia would definitely seem to be headed for the practice squad (If he doesn't get cut, which I doubt).
I just have a gut feeling Travis Prentice may yet become a nice addition here. Reports, so far, seem to indicate he is playing well.

Does Bush play special teams? Seems to me, I remember seeing him, and he does a decent job. I like the options he brings to the field when he plays FB. I'm excited about seeing ALL these guys play. Boy!!!! I'd love to be able to watch training camp this year!!!
Wouldnt that be cool if the put the practises on local TV for us junkies to watch?

Unless your not a local that is...

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I left Phoenix 2 years ago, and am now doing advanced reconnaisance for Iraqi subversives in Idaho. (target practicing on a few skin heads too...they have a "place" next to my Aunt and Uncle's farm in Coer D'Alene. )

If I was still in Phoenix, I'd be sleeping in the pines at Flag. if I had to, to see camp.

I'm still crossing my fingers, hoping Dish netork work will carry Sunday ticket by the time season starts. Out here in the Idaho boonies, Direct TV still can't even be bought at any price. :(

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm still crossing my fingers, hoping Dish netork work will carry Sunday ticket by the time season starts.
Don't hold your breath. DirecTV re-upped its exclusive Sunday Ticket contract with the NFL for approx. another 5 years.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Someone mentioned here on the boards a while back, that the pending sale of Direc TV to Dish Network was OK'd by congress afterall.

So my hope is that if Dish Network takes over Direct TV, then they will offer the package as well. That's what I had been told by the salesman at Radio Shack when I bought my dish last year.

If not, I'm dead in the water for being able to see many Cards games this year. :(

In that case, I'll just have to picture Shipp running amok in my mind, as I sit glued to the radio broadcast and the NFL.com gamesite screen listing play by play.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Someone mentioned here on the boards a while back, that the pending sale of Direc TV to Dish Network was OK'd by congress afterall.
Right info about a merger. Wrong mergee.

Hearings are currently underway which appear to favor approval of the buy-out of DirecTV by Rupert Murdoch (i.e. FOX network, NY Post etc.).

Of key concern (but likely to be ignored by the current administration) is the concentration of power - and potential threat to news diversity - that might result from a programmer with a political agenda also being a major national distributor of signal.

The DISH deal previously looked good, but fell through. And it is extremely unlikely that either DISH or an emerging Cablevision satellite endeavor will be either (a) gobbled up by Murdoch or (b) allowed to cut a separate deal with the NFL that would circumnavigate the current contract they have with DirecTV