Cardinals to open roof for 49ers

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals to open roof for 49ers
by Kent Somers - Nov. 5, 2008 11:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

The roof at the University of Phoenix Stadium is expected to be open for Monday night's game against the 49ers, according to the Cardinals.

It would be the first time this season the roof would be open and the eighth time since the stadium opened in 2006.

The Cardinals have five home games remaining and it's likely the roof will be open for all of the them.

The team's policy, which is flexible, is that the roof will be closed for games in August through October. After that the roof is open for day games if the forecasted high temperature is no higher than 75 degrees and the chance of rain is 20 percent or less. For evening games, the roof will be open if the forecasted temperate is no more than 85 degrees and the chance of rain is 20 percent or less.

The NFL's policy for retractable roofs is that the home team must decide the status of the roof 90 minutes prior to kickoff. If the game is started with the roof closed, it can't be opened during the game. If it starts with the roof open, it can be closed only if hazardous conditions develop or if it begins to rain. The roof won't be closed for rain after the five-minute mark of the fourth quarter.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Curt Schilling will not be pleased.

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
That what a friend told me the real reason the roof is closed because warner is alot better in a dome..win win win dome us lose Carolina outside win again in st louis ..I would keep it closed..Thats just Me ..

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
That what a friend told me the real reason the roof is closed because warner is alot better in a dome..win win win dome us lose Carolina outside win again in st louis ..I would keep it closed..Thats just Me ..

I keep hearing that it was the people in the expensive seats on the east side that complained the sun would get in their eyes in the 3rd qtr. Boo hoo ... get some Maui Jims!

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
Alot of people at my work(Customers that had season tickets) actually wrote letters to the cardinals that they got sun burned when the roof was open.But if I remember you signed a letter of the roof being open when you got your tickets switched from sun devil to our new place...

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Alot of people at my work(Customers that had season tickets) actually wrote letters to the cardinals that they got sun burned when the roof was open..

Could not have been worse than the sunburns I got at SDS - and that was wearing an SPF 60!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would have been less expensive to build an unopening dome with a retractable field.

UOP was built with a roof so we could open it on a night like Monday.

Open .. open ... open !!! :fans:

cardfan

Registered
Reaction score
It is louder when the roof is closed. If we want full home team advantage, we should keep the roof closed IMHO.

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
It is louder when the roof is closed. If we want full home team advantage, we should keep the roof closed IMHO.

I dont think you guys will have that problem. You guys are 5-3, atop of the division, playing a rival on Monday Night with Williams ceremony at halftime. Its going to be loud there regardless if the roof is open or not ...

I never seen the stadium in person but looks beautiful from pics I seen and when the Niners go down there. Has anybody been there with the roof open and is it better close or open?

Everybody going Monday Night, have fun :shades:

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
We need to keep the roof open for the obligitory Monday Night blimp camera-shot.

cardsloco

Registered
Reaction score
I dont think you guys will have that problem. You guys are 5-3, atop of the division, playing a rival on Monday Night with Williams ceremony at halftime. Its going to be loud there regardless if the roof is open or not ...

I never seen the stadium in person but looks beautiful from pics I seen and when the Niners go down there. Has anybody been there with the roof open and is it better close or open?

Everybody going Monday Night, have fun :shades:
It is better with the roof open, and Warner won three of four last year with it open. Though it doesn't make it an outdoor stadium it is nice with the outside air coming in.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having the roof open or closed is not going to make a difference in the outcome of the game.

Now, on the other hand, everything hinges on which jersey and t-shirt combination I wear on Monday.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
What's the point of having a retractable roof if you're never going to open it?

Open, says me.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I'm sure if I was going to games I'd want it open, but for the noise factor, I like it closed. It is noticably louder on tv when the roof is closed. Any home field advantage that comes from noise is welcome in my book. The noise escapes when the roof is open so it's not as loud.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams like Denver and Kansas City don't have any problem with noise "escaping" to deter their home field advantage.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having the roof open or closed is not going to make a difference in the outcome of the game.

Now, on the other hand, everything hinges on which jersey and t-shirt combination I wear on Monday.

hehe. Now we know who to blame if we lose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05