Cards Drop Third Straight in Detroit

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
In a continued effort to spark the offense, the Cardinals started their third different quarterback of the season against the Lions, but finished with the game with the same results, another loss.

In his first NFL start rookie quarterback John Navarre threw four interceptions, but it is hard to pinpoint this loss on just the quarterback.

“It wasn’t a one-man loss,” summed up Head Coach Dennis Green. “Just like it is never a one-man win.”

In Sunday’s 26-12 loss to the Detroit Lions, the Cardinals run defense was again also exposed. Heading into the game, linebacker James Darling described running back Kevin Jones as a future Pro Bowler, and Green had warned that the defense would be facing the fastest back they had seen so far this season.

Despite the preparation for the talents of Detroit’s rookie back, Jones racked up 196 yards on the ground on 26 carries, missing the Lions all-time rookie rushing record by one yard.

“We missed some tackles and he got loose,” linebacker Karlos Dansby stated. “I think we had him, we just didn’t make a few tackles when we needed to make them and the kind of defensive style we play, if we don’t make those tackles, that’s how big plays happen. There is a small room for error. We knew he was a great back, and in the second level he’s very explosive and he’s also a very hard hitter.”

The Cards took the board first with a 42-yard field goal by Neil Rackers. Rookie Larry Croom, also making his first start, rolled off two nice runs to start the game and set Rackers up for the field goal.

Detroit scored next with a 17-yard touchdown strike from Joey Harrington to Tai Streets, but a 47-yard return on the ensuing kickoff by Bryant Johnson set up another Rackers’ field goal from
33 yards out.

Following a Lions two-yard touchdown run by Jones, the Cards closed to within two after Navarre completed a pass to tight end Freddie Jones who broke tackles to score on a 35-yard touchdown. A two-point conversion attempt would have tied the game, but Navarre’s fade pass to Larry Fitzgerald was incomplete.

A drive to take the lead in the final seconds before the half went also for naught when Navarre got picked along the sidelines by cornerback Dre Bly.

“That play I didn’t have my check down,” recalled Navarre. “I was trying to protect the ball and throw it away and I double clutched it and threw it off my back foot and didn’t get enough on it to get it out of bounds and in this league there are good enough players that they are not going to miss those when you slip up. I was trying to get rid of that ball. That was another error, a physical mistake I have to correct.”

The Cards haven’t fared well on the road this year, winning only one game against Miami, but with the playoffs still in the picture and trailing only 14-12, they were still in this game heading into the third quarter. Instead the Cards endured a miserable second half.

“We came out 12-14 and we didn’t put any points on the board in the second half,” said a dissatisfied Anquan Boldin. “We are giving away games.”

Navarre threw three picks in the second half, and although the defense kept the Lions out of the endzone even when working with short fields, kicker Jason Hanson was four of four to put the game out of reach for Arizona.

“I made young mistakes, that is not an excuse, I don’t think I played young,” said Navarre of his first start. “I pride myself on working hard and being focused and making the right decisions. I pressed myself to try and make the big play when indeed there were check downs and things underneath that were there. I tried to make a play and make something happen and I’ve learned throughout my experience that is not what you have to do, you have to get through that and not make those mistakes and I made those.”

The question is whether or not Navarre will have a chance to correct those mistakes. Green didn't firmly affirm Navarre as next week's starter, but gave an indication that the rookie would indeed get another shot.

“We’ll take a look at that, the one thing we know that every guy has had a chance and this is John’s chance so I’d imagine John would start next week against San Francisco and play better than he did today.”

Playoffs?

The best the Cards could finish would be 8-8, but Green wouldn’t rule the Cardinals out of the playoff picture, pointing out that both St. Louis and Seattle have tough schedules to play.

Green stated that he felt the Carolina Panthers, who have won the last five games, are in the driver’s seat for the wild card spot.

“At this point, we are not worrying about winning four games, we are worried about winning one game right now,” concluded Green.

Despite a three-game losing streak, optimism prevails for Anquan Boldin.

“I don’t think it slipped away because we still have to play some of those teams, we have Tampa, St. Louis, and Seattle so we are still in the picture but we can’t keep giving games away.”

Injuries

Green indicated that Darnell Dockett struggled with his injured groin and had to go in and out of the rotation. James Darling suffered a leg/ankle injury but did finish the game. Green also indicated that John Navarre had possibly fractured or cracked his ring finger in first quarter.

“I jammed my finger a little bit,” said Navarre. “I was throwing the ball fine (though). There was some pain but it didn’t affect my throwing and definitely not my decision making.”

Bryant Johnson Returning Kicks

Wide receiver Bryant Johnson took over kickoff duties instead of Josh Scobey, and had a big 47-yard return that led to a Cardinals field goal.

“We are just trying to get more in there,” said Green of the return game. “We weren’t totally pleased last week and we are trying to see if we can gain some yards in there and try to work to make some big plays.”

Officiating continues to haunt the Cards

Midway thru the second quarter, Joey Harrington hit Roy Williams over the middle. Williams broke free for a 45-yard gain before safety Adrian Wilson brought him down at the Cards 4-yardline. As Wilson made the play, Williams fumbled the ball which was recovered by Arizona in the endzone and should have been ruled as a touchback. The Cards attempted to challenge the play, but the play was not up for review since the officials had whistled the play dead and called Williams down by contact. Two plays later, the Lions scored their second touchdown of the day with a 2-yard run by Kevin Jones.

“I think anybody saw it, it wasn’t even close and that was unfortunate because they got points out of it,” Green stated.

Starting Line-up Changes

Rookie running back Larry Croom did get the starting nod with Emmitt Smith unable to go due to his big toe injury. Croom had 18 carries for 49 yards, with a long run of 20 yards.

“I feel overall I could have played better,” Croom observed. “Hopefully, I’ll see the film and see the mistakes I made and try to capitalize on those and come back next week and do better.”

Also returning to the starting line-up was right guard Cameron Spikes, who lost his starting job to Jeremy Bridges after the win over New Orleans in early October. Spikes had been rotating in for Bridges over the last few weeks.

Turnovers

The Cardinals gave up the ball four times with four interceptions, and only came up with one defensive turnover with cornerback David Macklin’s pick before halftime at the Cards 2-yardline to prevent a Lions score.

Chrissy Mauck, azcardinals.com

http://azcardinals.com/news/news_details.html?iid=2458

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05