Cards may offer job to Fassel on Monday

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Read the second to last paragraph or the whole story if you like.

Redskins Ready to Talk to Rhodes

Seahawks' Season Over for Coach
By Mark Maske and Leonard Shapiro
Washington Post Staff Writers
Monday, January 5, 2004; Page D09

Washington Redskins officials hope to interview Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes for their head-coaching vacancy in the next day or two.

The Redskins planned to get in touch with Rhodes late last night or today, after he returned to Seattle. The Seahawks' season ended with an overtime loss in Green Bay in the first round of the NFC playoffs.

Rhodes declined to comment after the game. A Seahawks source said that Rhodes was uncertain if he wanted to interview with the Redskins, but added that members of the organization probably would urge him to seek the job. The Seahawks already have granted the Redskins' request to interview Rhodes.

Rhodes has expressed satisfaction with being a defensive coordinator since head-coaching stints with the Philadelphia Eagles and the Packers ended bitterly. He was fired by Green Bay after only one season. When he served as the Redskins' defensive coordinator in the 2000 season, he said he was content being an assistant.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder offered Rhodes the head-coaching job after firing Norv Turner with three games remaining in that season. But Rhodes refused, saying that taking the job would have been disloyal to Turner. He left the Redskins in a dispute with incoming coach Marty Schottenheimer and served as Denver's defensive coordinator before moving on to Seattle. He remains a favorite of Snyder's, but the owner probably would have to persuade him to seek the job.

Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, the Redskins' vice president of football operations, remained on the West Coast after interviewing former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel and former Minnesota Vikings coach Dennis Green in San Francisco in recent days. Green spent about 12 hours with Snyder and Cerrato over a two-day span. Green interviewed with the Arizona Cardinals last week and is scheduled to meet with Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis today.

"I thought [the Redskins interview] went well,'' Green said in a telephone interview yesterday. "I met with [Snyder] Friday and Saturday, and we had a great exchange of ideas. There was no offer made. I'm going to Oakland [today] to talk to them.''

Sources said the Redskins were convinced after meeting with Green that they could work out a system with him for making player-related decisions if they want him to be their coach. Green has said in the past that he would want the final say on player moves, but Snyder and Cerrato do not seem prepared to step out of the process. Green had only kind words about the franchise yesterday.

"I think Washington is a great organization," Green said. "They have the ability to get unrestricted free agents. You look at their top 25 players, there are a lot of number one and number two draft choices. It does appeal to me and because it's the nation's capital, you've got 80,000 people in the stadium and everyone in Washington Redskins country loves the Redskins. They're number one in everything that can take place outside the game -- their revenue, their marketing, their ticket sales. If you can get good on the field, you've got everything you could possibly want.''

Fassel is scheduled to interview with the Buffalo Bills on Tuesday and perhaps Wednesday. He interviewed with Arizona last week, and NFL sources said the Cardinals were mulling over making an offer as early as today. There is some sentiment around the league that Fassel is the favorite to be offered the Redskins job, and offers from other teams perhaps would force a resolution of the matter late this week.

The Redskins plan to reevaluate their options around midweek, sources said. Team officials put Fassel, Green and Rhodes at or near the top of their list just after Steve Spurrier resigned Tuesday, but said they would consider other candidates. New England Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel could be next in line if the Redskins expand their search to other assistant coaches around the league.

Shapiro reported from Green Bay, Wis.

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
GOOD!!!!!

I think we need to have a coach in place by wed or thurs..I would like it earlier ( say press conf on monday afternoon )

Fassel is my first choice, but Green would be ok too.. we need to jump on them quick.. I dont want Saban and interveiwing him might cost s a chance at Fassel/Green.

If either of them are gone them Romeo and then Smith.. after that.. we in for a long three years...

Go Cards

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fassel had indicated that he wanted to decide no later than this week, and since he canceled his interview in Chicago...I guess it will come down between the Cardinals, Redskins, and Bills....

This is how I see it shaping up....

Cardinals-Fassel

Redskins-Green or Rhodes

Raiders-Shell or Carthon (they could benefit with his expertise with younger QBs)

Giants-Coughlin

Falcons-Lovie Smith

Bills-Weis

Bears-Crennel or Jim Mora Jr.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious why so many of you are so confident that Fasell will end up here? Especially with this organizations history of getting what they want? Plus the overall history of the team? Which that alone should make them at a disadvanyage to the other teams that are recruiting!

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Just curious why so many of you are so confident that Fasell will end up here? Especially with this organizations history of getting what they want? Plus the overall history of the team? Which that alone should make them at a disadvanyage to the other teams that are recruiting!

I must admit that I didnt begin to exclusively root/follow the Cardinals until this past year, but what we've seen over the past few months are major strides that they've taken....True, people still debate on them trading down in last year's draft, but over-all their draft was solid and they got all their choices signed on time with methods they never used before......Plus, they did extend those contracts, etc.....

The problem is that some haven't grasp that this isn't the "same Cardinals" with Mike Bidwill and Graves being able to gain more clout over William than anyone else has ever managed to do, and perhaps it will take some time to fully realize that.....

I know we all base a lot on the past, but I hate this expression I'm about to use..."We're in the now"....Let's accept that it's improving and will continue doing so beyond.....

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just because they offer the job to Fassel, doesn't mean he takes it

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
Just because they offer the job to Fassel, doesn't mean he takes it

I know, however, I still wonder if they would have fired McGinnis as quickly as they did w/out being assured of either Fassel or Green as their next coach? If they already conducted some preliminary discussions with their agents in advance (which was reported that they did), there had to be more than just a "casual" mutual interest...... Either one had to express a commitment to succeed McGinnis, because they wouldnt resorted to this just to settle for an unproven inexperienced coach..

True, if McGinnis was retained, he would have been in a "lame-duck" situation, but something beyond that and the Cardinals over-all subpar peformance had to trigger everything....

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Personally I feel that Green could assemble a better staff and would be the better candidate for the job.

I have a gut feeling Fassel ends up in Washington...

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
Personally I feel that Green could assemble a better staff and would be the better candidate for the job.

I have a gut feeling Fassel ends up in Washington...

To tell you the truth, I'd be happy either way....It's just that I'm still not completely sold on Green willing to defer to both
Bidwill and Graves, that he ultimately would want a lot more authority over personnel decisions.... I just have this feeling that at first he'll be content w/no control, then suddenly become more "power hungry" as time goes on.....If that happens, he would lose that "power struggle" and be forced out of here.... If he is hired, I just hope he proves me otherwise.....

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by KingLouieLouie
I know, however, I still wonder if they would have fired McGinnis as quickly as they did w/out being assured of either Fassel or Green as their next coach? If they already conducted some preliminary discussions with their agents in advance (which was reported that they did), there had to be more than just a "casual" mutual interest...... Either one had to express a commitment to succeed McGinnis, because they wouldnt resorted to this just to settle for an unproven inexperienced coach..

True, if McGinnis was retained, he would have been in a "lame-duck" situation, but something beyond that and the Cardinals over-all subpar peformance had to trigger everything....

McGinnis would have been fired, even if it meant we had to temporarily hire Bidwill's gardener. I'm sold on Fassel & would be OK with Green also. This is far from a slam-dunk as their are nice opportunities out there. That is not to take away from the Cardinal job. Beautiful climate, new stadium, young team with a MOTOR, new way of doing business (finally). Green did a wonderful job of succinctly emphasizing those points. A dark horse here could be Tom Coughlin. I know a lot of you guys are afraid of him, but this guy would bring this franchise back in a heartbeat. He would also bring the BEST staff, so even if he burns the team out in 4 yrs, we'd have outstanding coordinators to promote. I personally think he'll be much better the second time around. Keep in mind that Vermeil had the same reputation as Coughlin when he was younger. Mark my words, Coughlin will be the steal of this litter.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score

Because whereas Green stated that Washington was #1 in everything off the feild, we are the most attractive on the field.

3 #1 draft picks on the o-line

2 #1 draft picks on the d-line

the #3 pick in this years draft

a good RB

Anquan Boldin

New Stadium

a good LB core

and tons of cap room

It would be very easy for a coach with good player development/motivation skills to turn this club around, and become the "the guy" who turned it around in AZ. Just look at how much publicity that generated for Marvin Lewis, and they didn't even make the playoffs.

I would say that we are probably very attractive to potential head coaches. The cap room and the draft pick alone gives them a great opportunity to re-make this team how they see fit.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry to nitpick, but the above Subject title suggests that this "will" happen. (Got me all excited).

Gist of the actual report was that things were reported or rumored to be taking place that logically "suggests" that the Cards "conceivably might make Fassel such an offer today.

Misleading subject titles are beginning to creep back onto this bulletin board (i.e. substituting conjecture for fact).

I'm a big believer in 1st amendment rights and all that, but please guys: Every time I see something that looks like a news report but isn't, I can actually see my aorta popping out of my mouth.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Sorry to nitpick, but the above Subject title suggests that this "will" happen. (Got me all excited).

Gist of the actual report was that things were reported or rumored to be taking place that logically "suggests" that the Cards "conceivably might make Fassel such an offer today.

Misleading subject titles are beginning to creep back onto this bulletin board (i.e. substituting conjecture for fact).

I'm a big believer in 1st amendment rights and all that, but please guys: Every time I see something that looks like a news report but isn't, I can actually see my aorta popping out of my mouth.

Well, the title does say "may" offer job to Fassel.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Re: GOOD!!!!!

Originally posted by jrjbritt
I think we need to have a coach in place by wed or thurs..I would like it earlier ( say press conf on monday afternoon )

Fassel is my first choice, but Green would be ok too.. we need to jump on them quick.. I dont want Saban and interveiwing him might cost s a chance at Fassel/Green.

If either of them are gone them Romeo and then Smith.. after that.. we in for a long three years...

Go Cards

I agree we need to have an offer on the table promptly and also a date that the offer must be accepted/declined by. We cannot make an offer and have our candidiate shopping around for a week looking for a better deal while the remainder of the good coaches are taken. I read we are going for 2nd interviews. Why? Seems if we were smart and spent two days with a guy we should know if he was the man or not.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Personally I am not sure at all that the guy we want will end up here. We are still one of the worst choices for any coach looking at our history. The new guy if he is wanted by others will have to be convinced that something has changed here besides the talk.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

With McGinnins record and the fans depleting daily they had to fire him regardless of who they hire. We have the worst attendance in the NFL and it actually got worse again this year. First thing you do with an injury is STOP THE BLEEDING.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by john h
With McGinnins record and the fans depleting daily they had to fire him regardless of who they hire. We have the worst attendance in the NFL and it actually got worse again this year. First thing you do with an injury is STOP THE BLEEDING.

I completely agree, but here's my theory.....

I start off w/what happened with the Lions just after the '02 season... On 12/31/02, the Lions conducted a press conference in which Matt Millen claimed that Marty Mornhinweg would be back for the '03, despite how inept of a coach he was and everyone was calling for his throat.... Once the 49'ers were eliminated from the play-offs, and "Mooch" became available, the Lions ownership/front-office immediately changed their tune and as we know the rest is history.....

Reason why I brought this up is because there just had to be something more substantial than either just Fassel or Green expressing a mere interest in the job, but actually was going to commit to be the next Cardinals head-coach....

So, if it was indeed Fassel, they had to still adhere to the minority hiring guildelines.... I heard how Fassel went on other interviews for "good-will", and I would believe that is not to burn bridges with any organizations if he is in need of a job in the future.... It somewhat adds up and I hope it will be announced that he's the Cardinals next coach by Friday......

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by PACardsFan
McGinnis would have been fired, even if it meant we had to temporarily hire Bidwill's gardener. I'm sold on Fassel & would be OK with Green also. This is far from a slam-dunk as their are nice opportunities out there. That is not to take away from the Cardinal job. Beautiful climate, new stadium, young team with a MOTOR, new way of doing business (finally). Green did a wonderful job of succinctly emphasizing those points. A dark horse here could be Tom Coughlin. I know a lot of you guys are afraid of him, but this guy would bring this franchise back in a heartbeat. He would also bring the BEST staff, so even if he burns the team out in 4 yrs, we'd have outstanding coordinators to promote. I personally think he'll be much better the second time around. Keep in mind that Vermeil had the same reputation as Coughlin when he was younger. Mark my words, Coughlin will be the steal of this litter.

I agree with everything you said, but the Cardinals should pursue Coughlin....It's just he's a major discplinarian and would be too tedious for what was the youngest team in the league the last few seasons....He would just discourage the younger players from putting in a 100% effort....I'm not saying hire someone who is similar to McGinnis in someone who coaches with "kid gloves" either, but no way they should completely go to the other extreme either.....

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said, but the Cardinals should pursue Coughlin....It's just he's a major discplinarian and would be too tedious for what was the youngest team in the league the last few seasons....He would just discourage the younger players from putting in a 100% effort....I'm not saying hire someone who is similar to McGinnis in someone who coaches with "kid gloves" either, but no way they should completely go to the other extreme either.....

I think the fact that they are so young is exactly why we SHOULD hire Coughlin, for the simple fact that they don't know any better. Bust there ass, teach them some discipline, show them what it takes to win in the NFL.

It wasn't until Coughlin had been around five or six years that his players, who were now veterans, began to get pissed about his hard line approach.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CaliforniaCard
I think the fact that they are so young is exactly why we SHOULD hire Coughlin, for the simple fact that they don't know any better. Bust there ass, teach them some discipline, show them what it takes to win in the NFL.

It wasn't until Coughlin had been around five or six years that his players, who were now veterans, began to get pissed about his hard line approach.

The fact that Coughlin approach gets tiresome after awhile alone should prevent him being hired to what is the youngest team in the league....

True, they need someone who knows how to get the most out of his players, but not someone who seems like an obsessive compulsive who is too detailed oriented....Not only reiterating what I said earlier on how it would dissuade the players from putting in 100% effort, but ifthe veterans did indeed "become pissed" about his hardline approach, it would also deter them from attracting the better FAs on the market....

Getting someone who is well respected and a winning track record of either Green or Fassel would get the players headed in the right direction....A winning one......

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From the Bills' Official Website

By Gregg Pastore, buffalobills.com
January 6, 2004

Ex-New York Giants coach Jim Fassel visited One Bills Drive Tuesday for an interview with President and General Manager Tom Donahoe.

Fassel, who guided the New York Giants to the Super Bowl in 2000, compiled a 60-56-1 record with three playoff appearances in seven seasons with the Giants.

Under Fassle's guidance, the Giants became the 15th team in NFL history to finish in first place in their divison after finishing in last place (96-97).
Ex-New York Giants coach Jim Fassel visited One Bills Drive Tuesday for an interview with President and General Manager Tom Donahoe.

Fassel, who guided the New York Giants to the Super Bowl in 2000, compiled a 60-56-1 record with three playoff appearances in seven seasons with the Giants.

Under Fassel, this past season began with promise for the Giants as they opened with a 23-13 victory over the St. Louis Rams, a team that went on to win the NFC West with a 12-4 record.

But several close losses and some significant injuries throughout the year contributed to a 4-12 finish and prompted Senior Vice President and General Manager Ernie Accorsi to release the Giants' third-winningest coach in the 79-year history of the team. Only Steve Owen (153) and Bill Parcells (77) coached the Giants to more victories.

"I am honored to have coached for seven years," Fassel said following the team's final game. "A lot of guys don't last that long in a lot of jobs. I am fortunate. To be a head coach in the National Football League you have to feel very fortunate."

Fassel entered the 2003 season as one of just five coaches to remain with the same team for seven consecutive years. The others are Denver's Mike Shanahan, Tennessee's Jeff Fisher, Pittsburgh's Bill Cowher and Atlanta's Dan Reeves.

The former quarterback at Fullerton College was named the 16th head coach in Giants history on January 15 1997. He entered the NFL in 1991 as the Giants' quarterbacks coach and the following year he was promoted to offensive coordinator. Following his service with the Giants, Fassel spent two campaigns as assistant head coach/offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos in 1993 and 1994 before spending the 1995 season as quarterbacks coach for the Oakland Raiders and the 1996 season as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Arizona Cardinals.

Labeled a "quarterback guru", Fassel was credited with recruiting and coaching Broncos quarterback John Elway at Stanford. He later coached Elway to his finest season as a pro in 1993, when the Broncos quarterback earned the AFC Player of the Year and Most Valuable Player honors. That year, Denver's offense ranked third in the AFC and fifth in the NFL and scored 373 points to rank first in the conference and third in the league. Fassel also tutored Kent Graham into a solid player and helped rejuvenate veteran Boomer Esiason and Kerry Collins.

Fassel has also interviewed with the Washington Redskins and the Arizona Cardinals for their respective head coaching positions.

On Monday, Donahoe met with Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray and former Chicago Bears head coach Dick Jauron. New England Patriots coordinators Romeo Crennel (defensive) and Charlie Weis (offensive), and St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator Lovie Smith have also interviewed with the Bills.