Cards v Raiders pre season trivia

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The August 23rd game against Oakland will be the Cards 10th preseason contest against the Raiders since 1996.

Oddly enough the Cards had played Oakland only once in preseason before 1996.

It was the Cardinals first game ever played in Arizona.

33 years ago last Thursday. August 7th 1976 when 33,216 turned out for the exhibition game played in Tempe Arizona.

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
Thats pretty cool. I'll be at this game too...How have you guys looked so far?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The August 23rd game against Oakland will be the Cards 10th preseason contest against the Raiders since 1996.

Oddly enough the Cards had played Oakland only once in preseason before 1996.

It was the Cardinals first game ever played in Arizona.

33 years ago last Thursday. August 7th 1976 when 33,216 turned out for the exhibition game played in Tempe Arizona.

So that game was in arizona?

I actually watched the game on tv I always remember it because the way it started. Terry Metcalf was my favorite player, he was in for if memory serves one play, a halfback option pass completed to Mel Gray, I think for a TD but don't quote me.

Later in the same game they ran the exact same play with Wayne Morris throwing it, Wr was wide open, ball badly underthrown, the announcer commented that he didn't think the Raiders would be eager to play the cards again saying coaches hate teams that run trick plays in exhibitions.

and apparently that was true since it sounds like it was 20 years before they played us again.

OP
OP
Duckjake

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So that game was in arizona?

I actually watched the game on tv I always remember it because the way it started. Terry Metcalf was my favorite player, he was in for if memory serves one play, a halfback option pass completed to Mel Gray, I think for a TD but don't quote me.

Later in the same game they ran the exact same play with Wayne Morris throwing it, Wr was wide open, ball badly underthrown, the announcer commented that he didn't think the Raiders would be eager to play the cards again saying coaches hate teams that run trick plays in exhibitions.

and apparently that was true since it sounds like it was 20 years before they played us again.

Oakland won that game btw 20-9. The next game 9 days later was vs San Diego in Tokyo!

Other interesting exhibition games:

First game in Dallas: Vs the Boston Yanks Sept 19th 1947
First game in Denver: Vs Redskins in 1948
First game in St.Louis Vs Eagles in 1954
First game in Seattle: Vs San Francisco 1957

In 1952 the Cards played a team from Camp Polk LA beating them 66-7.

The Cards have played in Lubbock, San Antonio, and Amarillo Texas, Hershey PA and Norman Oklahoma,Spokane WA and Portland OR, Norfolk and Richmond VA, Charleston SC and Shreveport LA, Chattanooga and Memphis TN and Omaha NE, and several other cities other than league.

The Cards have played twice in my hometown, AUSTIN, TX. Vs Green Bay in 1957 and Baltimore Colts in 1958. I didn't know that until today. Too bad my Dad's not alive, I could ask him about it.

The Cards had played an exhibition game in St.Louis in 5 of the 6 years before moving there in 1960. Bill should have known better. Their preseason record pre St.Louis was 1-4.

young tone

Reaction score
Got any niner thoughts?

yeah that Im not expecting too much from us this year. I like our D and I can see us being a pretty good D but our O still looks like it has its problems. From what I've read and seen from the preseason game last week, is that all 3 QB's dont look good.

I seen Hill and he looked bad, it might be the fact that Martz offense doesnt suit him well. And the other fact that he is a career journeyman backup that had a few good quarters and cashed in after the season.

O'Sullivan looked real bad imho. He had some decent throws but he made a horrendous INT, gave up a fumble, and made a stupid backwards lateral when the pocket was collapsing. He might know the offense more now but his play showed why he is another career jouneyman backup.

Smith looked the best of the three but didnt look all that good either. He made a couple throws that were behind the receiver but after a few throws, he got comfortable and made his throws. Moved around in the pocket well and released the ball quicker. Still not quick enough but he has made progress for sure imho.

O'Sullivan (JTO) is still getting all the first team reps again this week and most likely be named the starter for week 1 as well. Plus we got Nolan too this year so Im not expecting much.

Josh Morgan looking good so far. He had a real good game last week and has been lightning it up at practice too. Looks like he might emerge and be the number 3 or 4th guy this year. My guess is that the 4 receivers might look like this come week 1:

#1 Bruce
#2 Johnson
#3 Battle (could be Morgan if he keeps it up)
#4 Morgan

Thats my four so far. Its not a great list but much better that having D. Jackson out there being the number 1. If Jason Hill doesnt get any better, he might be the odd man out. So is Lelie since he cant stay healthy.

Our O line has to get better. I seen the Raiders line just blow us away on the line of scrimmage. Even our young lineman Staley looked bad last week. But I just hope its just the first preseason game you know.

Just my thoughts so far on the Niner camp....

BTW, was Johnson always hurt with you guys? He hasnt played and he'll sit out again this Saturday with Bruce. What should I expect from him? I havent watched him play yet

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, young tone.

No, Bryant Johnson does not have a history of injuries. Quite the opposite. Good guy. Hard worker. Average speed and has a long history of dropping the big ones. Known as "skillet hands" to some on this board.

Bryant Johnson is okay as a #3 WR. Nothing more.

You sound negative but the Niners seem to find ways to screw us up.

young tone

Reaction score
Thanks, young tone.

No, Bryant Johnson does not have a history of injuries. Quite the opposite. Good guy. Hard worker. Average speed and has a long history of dropping the big ones. Known as "skillet hands" to some on this board.

Bryant Johnson is okay as a #3 WR. Nothing more.

You sound negative but the Niners seem to find ways to screw us up.

I dont want to sound too negative because I am excited to see some football, but I just find Nolan a frustrating coach to have.

But hey Im just a fan you know, hopefully Nolan can turn this team around with Martz this year, Im just not expecting it to be better like I did last year...

Well we signed Johnson for one year. I know he'll want his big payday so he's going to go out there to try to earn it. I just hope he pans out because our receiving corps have been horrendous since losing TO.

Yeah we got the two wins against you guys last year but the Cards were a better team. I havent check you guys out yet but I'll be there at the Raider-Cardinal game for my uncles B-Day (big Raider fan). How you guys look so far? Any predictions?

Anybody coming to Candlestick for week 1? I was there last year on MNF, I'm trying to go this year too

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
young tone you are ok in my book.

As far as BJ is concerned, there wasn't room for him behind our 2 horses. He is a good one but has dropped some clutch passes. I wish him the best, but was hoping he'd go to Buffalo where he would be a thorn for just one game.

One of my good friends is a 9er fan, so I watch them closely.

young tone

Reaction score
young tone you are ok in my book.

As far as BJ is concerned, there wasn't room for him behind our 2 horses. He is a good one but has dropped some clutch passes. I wish him the best, but was hoping he'd go to Buffalo where he would be a thorn for just one game.

One of my good friends is a 9er fan, so I watch them closely.

Thanks bro! We might have a rivalry now since we are in the same division but we both have something in common: We hate the Dallas Cowboys :thumbup:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05