chances are Finley is NOT coming here

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
from ESPN insider:

Jul 31 - According to the Dallas Morning News, the Knicks appear to be interested in Michael Finley and might explore swapping Penny Hardaway or Tim Thomas for the shooting guard. Hardaway and Thomas are both in the last year of their contracts and match Finley's salary this season.

-----------------------
Penny makes $15.7M with 1 year left, Thomas makes $14 with 1 year left. Either gets the job done.

Then, Cuban uses the amnesty (if he chooses) on Keith Van Horn, and saves $15.7M there. Thus, he saves the SAME amount of money, the Knicks upgrade (even though they have a ton of sg's, they'd just be swapping with Penny, and that's GOT to be good), and Finley is sent packing to the east coast. you guys don't really think Cuban would just give finley away, do you?

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Why would Isiah take on a longer contract if he has two expiring contracts. They are looking to cut payroll after next year. I seriously doubt they trade for him....But this is Isiah we are talking about.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
playstation said:
you guys don't really think Cuban would just give finley away, do you?

Why not? That is what he would be doing if he waived him under the amnesty rule.

I would be suprised if he can find anyone to take Finley's salary but somehow NY makes perfect sense.

EDIT:

I just re-read that. You don't think he will waive him (give him away)?

If he doesn't find someone to trade for him he has 51,000,000 reasons to give him away. :shrug:

Last edited:

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Why would Isiah take on a longer contract if he has two expiring contracts. They are looking to cut payroll after next year. I seriously doubt they trade for him....But this is Isiah we are talking about.

i totally agree with you. it makes absolutely no sense UNLESS larry brown really really really really really wants him

OP
OP
playstation

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
wait, so it makes no sense for NY to continue keeping their payroll high? especially for a MASSIVE upgrade over Penny or Tim? when have i ever read that the knicks want to lower payroll? oh, right...NEVER!

SunsPride

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Knicks aren't worried about Payroll. They are so far over the cap I don't think it matters.

jed

Reaction score
I actually hope Finley gets traded, rather than made an amnesty player. That way, we won't be temped to make a bad situation worse by signing him to "replace" JJ.

I think we're better off letting JJax and Bell man the spot. They're better-suited for our system anyway. And we don't need Finley and the sort of minutes he'd command keeping them on the bench.

We could still use a little more three-point shooting on the roster, though.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Is Wesley Person still in this country???? :)

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I still don't think Cuban wants anyone in return for Finley's contract. As much as it pains him, he just wants to get rid of him, not get anything in return. It doesn't make sense for NY to do it either.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I would think that Cuban, for all the respect he has for Finley, won't trade him anywhere that he doesn't want to go. :shrug:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
playstation said:
Penny makes $15.7M with 1 year left, Thomas makes $14 with 1 year left. Either gets the job done.

Then, Cuban uses the amnesty (if he chooses) on Keith Van Horn, and saves $15.7M there. Thus, he saves the SAME amount of money, the Knicks upgrade (even though they have a ton of sg's, they'd just be swapping with Penny, and that's GOT to be good), and Finley is sent packing to the east coast. you guys don't really think Cuban would just give finley away, do you?

This makes sense for the Dallas Mavericks. I'm sure they would jump at it in a heartbeat. Now you have to consider whether it makes sense for the New York Knicks. Normally you wouldn't even bother since Isaiah Thomas hasn't done anything that makes sense in a while. However this will cost New York a lot of money.

New York is over the luxury tax, so not only will they be paying the $35 million remaining on Michael Finley's contract after next season. They'll be paying another $35 million in luxury tax. I'm sorry. There's no way even Dolan signs off on that one. it would be the equivalent of trading Thomas or Hardaway for Finley this year then signing him as a free agent for $35 million per season. I don't think so.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
playstation

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2121672&num=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Stein
Houston and Finley, according to NBA front-office sources, both possess considerable spread provisions in their contracts that would result in drawn-out payment schedules from the Knicks and Mavericks after being let go.

In Finley's case, specifically, sources say the $51-plus million he's owed by Dallas over the next three seasons would be paid in annual increments of less than $5 million if he's waived by the Aug. 15 amnesty deadline. Houston's contract apparently includes a similar spread provision.

Translation?

Signing with a new team for a minimum contract in the sub-$2 million area, as Phoenix hopes to do with Finley, might not be so comfortable for either player. The fact that Finley wouldn't be able to collect his $51-plus million from the Mavs as originally scheduled over the next three seasons gives hope to a team like the Denver Nuggets, who are prepared to offer Finley their full $5 million mid-level exception.

-----------------------------
he's not getting waived anyways, but if by some miracle he does, he still is not looking to come here.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that there's a chance he won't be waived, but I certainly believe that chances are better that he is waived. Now I do think there's a very good chance that if he's waived he will sign somewhere other than Phoenix. That wouldn't surprise me at all, especially in light of these new salary revelations.

Joe Mama

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could walk behind Isaiah for a week. The way he's allowed to throw around money, I could probably accumulate by annual salary by Wednesday and vacation money by Friday from what falls on the ground.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
playstation said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2121672&num=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Stein
Houston and Finley, according to NBA front-office sources, both possess considerable spread provisions in their contracts that would result in drawn-out payment schedules from the Knicks and Mavericks after being let go.

In Finley's case, specifically, sources say the $51-plus million he's owed by Dallas over the next three seasons would be paid in annual increments of less than $5 million if he's waived by the Aug. 15 amnesty deadline. Houston's contract apparently includes a similar spread provision.

Translation?

Signing with a new team for a minimum contract in the sub-$2 million area, as Phoenix hopes to do with Finley, might not be so comfortable for either player. The fact that Finley wouldn't be able to collect his $51-plus million from the Mavs as originally scheduled over the next three seasons gives hope to a team like the Denver Nuggets, who are prepared to offer Finley their full $5 million mid-level exception.

-----------------------------
he's not getting waived anyways, but if by some miracle he does, he still is not looking to come here.

Eh, I don't buy it. In some ways it's actually preferable to get the money spread out over say 10 years. And it's not like he needs the cash; an NBA player guaranteed 51 million bones over ten years plus whatever he makes in salary is a pretty good credit risk.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Dan H said:
Eh, I don't buy it. In some ways it's actually preferable to get the money spread out over say 10 years. And it's not like he needs the cash; an NBA player guaranteed 51 million bones over ten years plus whatever he makes in salary is a pretty good credit risk.

It isn't preferable at all.

51 million today is better than 51 million spread out over 10 years every day of the week.

If you ignore the inflation and the fact that dollar won't be worth as much in 10 years, you still have the fact that he could put that money into a low risk investment at the very least to make more money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan