Charlie Casserly thinks a Mike McCoy/Alex Smith combo works in Arizona

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last night on NFL Network, Charlie Casserly said he has heard that Mike McCoy was really close to getting a head coaching job last year and is very highly thought of throughout the league. He said Arizona has made it clear they want an upgrade on the offensive side of the ball and someone who can work with an improve the quarterback situation. In Casserly's opinion, McCoy fits perfectly in Arizona and he also said that Alex Smith would work very well with McCoy.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Last night on NFL Network, Charlie Casserly said he has heard that Mike McCoy was really close to getting a head coaching job last year and is very highly thought of throughout the league. He said Arizona has made it clear they want an upgrade on the offensive side of the ball and someone who can work with an improve the quarterback situation. In Casserly's opinion, McCoy fits perfectly in Arizona and he also said that Alex Smith would work very well with McCoy.
the guy wont be our QB coach or our OC, I don't think he'll be directly working with him at all

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
the guy wont be our QB coach or our OC, I don't think he'll be directly working with him at all

You honestly think a head coach with a background as a QB coach and OC will never work directly with his QB? You think for example, Harbaugh doesn't work directly with his QB? Really?

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
Hey I'm good with McCoy or Horton.....just want to seal the deal with one of em and not lose both of them.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Using that line of thought, couldn't the Cardinals hire Horton and then go get Turner and Smith?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I am n the Alex Smith band wagon. A solid upgrade at QB for us.

McCoy interests me.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Casserly is well respected.

I wonder why no current team seems to have considered him for GM.

As for McCoy and/or Alex Smith - Seems good on paper. Dunno how the chemistry would work out in real life. Interesting.

I say this with a built-in bias against Smith - he always seemed a bit immature and smirky to me (but that's from a vantage point in front of my TV set 3,000 miles away).

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

McCoy interests me.

+1

Nothing wrong with Alex Smith.

6'3" and 217lbs. Game Manager. Athletic enough to extend a play. Could care less about stats, just wants to win.

Alex Smith is so much better then what we have now it is a joke.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
+1

Nothing wrong with Alex Smith.

6'3" and 217lbs. Game Manager. Athletic enough to extend a play. Could care less about stats, just wants to win.

Alex Smith is so much better then what we have now it is a joke.

We have pleanty of other needs. But Alex Smith imo is the one move I hope we make. We gave Kolb 2 years to prove he is the guy. Time to wash our hands with Kolb and get a sure upgrade at the most important position.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's seems evident, Mr. Bidwill expects the new H-C to make something out of the Kolb investment and Horton, for one, has said he sees Kolb as part of his future.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Casserly is well respected.

I wonder why no current team seems to have considered him for GM.

As for McCoy and/or Alex Smith - Seems good on paper. Dunno how the chemistry would work out in real life. Interesting.

I say this with a built-in bias against Smith - he always seemed a bit immature and smirky to me (but that's from a vantage point in front of my TV set 3,000 miles away).

Would be thrilled to have Casserly as GM.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Hey I'm good with McCoy or Horton.....just want to seal the deal with one of em and not lose both of them.
If we want McCoy we will have to wait before the team could even announce it. Could be a month before he is available for hire.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the Silence is Deafening

Shouldn't there have been the obligatory press release out of Denver that he plane landed, they talked with McCoy, the plane has left Denver and is headed somewhere?

Out of the 30 or so most recent threads on this board, the only one to have McCoy's name in the title was this one.

When things are this quiet, something must be going on.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score

McCoy interests me.

I agree totally. He is a winner and knows how to conservatively control the game. He would be better than anyone else we could get via trade, FA, or the draft. We would not have that worry to deal with and could focus on improving our line and running game. That is the only scenario I can think of that makes us an instant contender. I am too old to sit through any more losing seasons and waiting to totally rebuild our team in a few years.

Then we trade Kolb to K.C. for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Reid would do that maybe.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
All I know is that I would really be pumped if Casserly was our GM. He has a strong opinion with conviction and overall a good judge of players :)

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All things being equal, I almost always prefer an OC to a DC in hiring a HC. With the problems the Cardinals have on the offensive side of the ball, I would most definitely go with McCoy over Horton. Is Horton a bad choice? No, but I'd prefer McCoy. Icing on the cake would be if we could somehow keep Horton as DC.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All I know is that I would really be pumped if Casserly was our GM. He has a strong opinion with conviction and overall a good judge of players :)
Back in the day (when I had a strong relationship with a local sportswriter who was nice enough to publish my annual list of All Name and No Name draft prospects - Wonderful Mons still being an all time favorite), he gave me a heads up about the Redskins departing from their tradition of loading their scouting departments with ex-football jocks and, instead, replacing them with bright, analytical, nerdy types.

Casserly was one of those Wunderkind,, and helped to revolutionize personnel evaluation League wide. He probably is enjoying his TV gig too much to go back to a real job, but I bet he'd be good.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Casserly has that tough minded character about himself which I feel a organization should reflect. When he drafted Mario Williams over Bush and Young, despite the overall pressure by the media and the fans to do otherwise, defined to me what a good GM is. He knew he was right and did not second doubt himself...even when it seemed he was the minority in his personal judgement of personnel.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
That's how bad our QB has been, we now think Alex Smith is the answer. Why is guy who was castoff by a division rival going to be solution to our QB needs? He'd be stopgap at best.