Coaching blunder?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Why did Dunleavy put Ewing, a rookie, who hadn't even played entire game and scarcely during the series to defend Bell on such a crucial play?

Would a vetern have defended Bell differently and perhaps made it harder?

Just curious. Thoughts?

Drop D

Striving for the Penultimate
Reaction score
OK, I'll handle this one......................um, yes! :D

Now if Bell misses, pure genius!

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Ewing has size and quickness....not necessarily a bad guy to have in there. Besides, it's not like he gave up an open look that Bell hit. It was about as well defended as it could be, and if Ewing had fouled him there's a good chance it would have meant 3 FT's.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az1965 said:
Why did Dunleavy put Ewing, a rookie, who hadn't even played entire game and scarcely during the series to defend Bell on such a crucial play?

Would a vetern have defended Bell differently and perhaps made it harder?

Just curious. Thoughts?

Dunleavy out thinks himself in all critical situations. He's always trying to be clever, even when the most obvious solution is the best one. He was thinking -- I'm sure -- that fresh legs meant better defense.

Djaughe

Reaction score
Ewing should have positioned himself better by setting himself between Bell and the 3-point area.

But hey...it was still an incredible shot.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
He made a nice move. Ewing didn't make a mistake, Raja was just too clutch. That was Ewing with a hand in Raja's face right? Or was that someone else?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nasser22 said:
He made a nice move. Ewing didn't make a mistake, Raja was just too clutch. That was Ewing with a hand in Raja's face right? Or was that someone else?

Actually, Ewing did make a mistake. If Raja catches the ball on the baseline, no big deal. Foul him. But you absolutely do not let him catch the ball behind the 3-point line. Raja got away with a little push off, but Ewing should have been overplaying him from that angle, anyway. If you're up by three with 1.1 seconds left, you don't really care if Bell catches the ball in 2-point land. He dribbles, you foul him, game over.

JAndrews

Rookie
Reaction score
I was thinking about this decision after the made basket. I dont know, after hearing Bell state, he didnt look until after the ball left his hands and that the shot just felt good makes me think it would have went anyway. However, I think putting a player in who has not played, with 1.1 seconds left and having him have to guard bell well bad decision. Hindsight. I would have left it to Ross or even caveman Kamen, come on put all your players on the 3 point line and just stand there.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Actually, Ewing did make a mistake. If Raja catches the ball on the baseline, no big deal. Foul him. But you absolutely do not let him catch the ball behind the 3-point line. Raja got away with a little push off, but Ewing should have been overplaying him from that angle, anyway. If you're up by three with 1.1 seconds left, you don't really care if Bell catches the ball in 2-point land. He dribbles, you foul him, game over.
I'm not really a fan of fouling in that situation. It's too risky and there's a bigger chance that Raja misses a 3 with a hand in his face than missing a free throw. I'm just glad he did make that shot.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually Bell got away with a push off to get separation - a veteran move against a rookie. Ewing was not in posiiton to foul. None the less, Ewing had good position without fouling in the act of shooting.

On the other hand, Dunleavy failing to tell Cassell that he did not have a full eight seconds to birng the ball up -- priceless. :thumbup:

HooverDam

Reaction score
The reason Dunleavy did it was to avoid getting screwed on a switch. He had all his perimeter players on the floor. The Suns run picks A LOT, and he didnt want to get a switched into a bad match up.

About Ewings defense, it was ok, but not great. There is VERY little room on the court in the corner, why not place the BACK of your feet on the 3pt line, completely fill that area w/ your body. Dont let Bell get position. If they pass it into Bell and he drives to the hole- who cares? Let him dunk. Knowing the Suns needed a 3, the Clippers all shouldve been standing right on the 3pt line.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
Ewing should have positioned himself better by setting himself between Bell and the 3-point area.
Ewing did put himself between Bell and the 3-point line. That was the brilliance of the play D'Antoni drew up.

IMO Dunleavy put in Ewing because he was expecting Bell's man to have to fight through a bunch of picks. So, Ewing came into that play looking for picks. He positioned himself between Raja and the potential screeners, and looked to keep himself between Raja and his 'destination', presumably behind the 3pt line at the top of the key.

I'm positive Ewing was never expecting Raja to get open without any help. Look at the elements required from Raja that play--the little push to get open, then catch the ball, turn and shoot in one motion, all while drifting towards the endline and keeping his feet between the sideline and the 3pt line. That's a Ray Allen-type play, not something you'd expect from a spot-up shooter.

D'Antoni put a lot of trust in Raja there, but he got a great shot as a result. What Dunleavy got was something he wasn't expecting. :)

Djaughe

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Ewing did put himself between Bell and the 3-point line. That was the brilliance of the play D'Antoni drew up......D'Antoni put a lot of trust in Raja there, but he got a great shot as a result.

lol...I can't tell if yer being sarcastic...didn't D'Antoni informed folks at the press conference that the play he called turned into a "disaster" and that it was all Raja Bell?

sidenote: What a great picture from suns.com

Attachments

• 06playoffs_r2g5_bell3.jpg
    06playoffs_r2g5_bell3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 89

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember the play correctly, it was not a coaching blunder, but Ewing did make a mistake. Bell did not catch the ball at the 3 point line, he was about 3 feet in front of it. If Ewing would have fouled Bell as soon as he caught the ball, they would have only shot 2 free throws instead of a contested 3.

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
dreamcastrocks said:
If I remember the play correctly, it was not a coaching blunder, but Ewing did make a mistake. Bell did not catch the ball at the 3 point line, he was about 3 feet in front of it. If Ewing would have fouled Bell as soon as he caught the ball, they would have only shot 2 free throws instead of a contested 3.
You do not remember correctly, if he was 3 feet in front of the line how did he shoot a 3 pointer with out dribbling. He caught the ball while pivoting on his right foot which was outside the 3 point line. There was no bad coaching move or bad defensive play, Raja simpily made a great clutch shot, I wouldn't of expected Raja or shawn to guard any other player any better then he was guarded, if raja doesn't push off and get the seperation he probably gets to the ball or fouls him on the catch. big mouth sam can talk all he wants but he wouldn't of stopped raja on that play! some people seam to think that if you stand on the thee point line then you get the job done, well you don't have to go to one spot your allowed to go to any spot on the line
, if you over play one way whats to stop the guy from going to the other side of the court and getting a back screen,it sounds easy to defend ,but its not really that simple!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the game Tivo'd so now I will have to go back and watch it tonight. I remember Raja catching the ball in front of the 3 point line, stepping back, and then turning around and shooting.

Djaughe

Reaction score
dreamcastrocks said:
I have the game Tivo'd so now I will have to go back and watch it tonight. I remember Raja catching the ball in front of the 3 point line, stepping back, and then turning around and shooting.

Please share with us where Ewing was in all of this. We all agree where he was at the end...but I'm curious where he positioned himself during the inbounds.

nowagimp

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Ewing did put himself between Bell and the 3-point line. That was the brilliance of the play D'Antoni drew up.

IMO Dunleavy put in Ewing because he was expecting Bell's man to have to fight through a bunch of picks. So, Ewing came into that play looking for picks. He positioned himself between Raja and the potential screeners, and looked to keep himself between Raja and his 'destination', presumably behind the 3pt line at the top of the key.

I'm positive Ewing was never expecting Raja to get open without any help. Look at the elements required from Raja that play--the little push to get open, then catch the ball, turn and shoot in one motion, all while drifting towards the endline and keeping his feet between the sideline and the 3pt line. That's a Ray Allen-type play, not something you'd expect from a spot-up shooter.

D'Antoni put a lot of trust in Raja there, but he got a great shot as a result. What Dunleavy got was something he wasn't expecting. :)

Nice analysis F-Dog, the play was more complicated than most have made it out to be. Dunleavy also said that Ewing was one of the best on the ball defenders on the team. That play had no margin for error. And that kind of push off is used all the time by vets at the end of the game cause they know the refs wont call it. Billups is a master of that kind of space making push off.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, I was incorrect. It did look to me that Raja caught the ball right at, or near the 3 point line. I just rewatched the play at NBA.com.

He was running to the 3 point line, but by the time that he caught the ball, he was already positioned so that all needed to do was turn, fire, and shoot.

Ewing played as good of defense as you could have hoped on a play like that. I cannot stream viddeo very well here at work, but there appeared to be a clear passing lane between the in bounds passer and Bell. However, he was positioned right at the 3 point line. When Bell caught the ball, he shifted over to be in front of Bell. His arms were straight up and his feet were just behind the 3 point line after he caught the ball though.

http://www.nba.com/video/

there is a video there. Others may be able to see it better than I did, but I now agree that there was not a blunder there.

Last edited: