Croom ready to make most of opportunity

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
By Dan Zeiger, Tribune

Larry Croom’s professional football career started under the quietest of circumstances, signing with the Cardinals as an undrafted free agent and leaving training camp as the fourth-string running back.
That lack of fanfare continued as the season progressed, as Croom’s rise up Arizona’s depth chart commanded little attention. Then, Emmitt Smith sprained his left big toe last week, making Croom an unknown no more.

Smith is questionable for Sunday’s game at Detroit, and if he is unable to play, Cardinals coach Dennis Green has tabbed the 5-foot-10, 205-pound Croom for his first NFL start.

“It’s still a dream,” said Croom, a former University of Arizona player who spent his last two collegiate seasons at Nevada-Las Vegas. “I’m afraid that someone might throw water on my face, and I’d wake up any minute. It’s a great opportunity.”

Injuries have played a big part in giving Croom, who had 25 yards on 10 carries in relief of Smith against the New York Jets last week, this chance. But so has his physical skills and ability to seize initiative.

“You recognize him as a quick, shifty player,” Green said. “His shiftiness is evident each time he touches the ball.”

Preseason No. 2 back Marcel Shipp broke his left fibula in the Cardinals’ training-camp intrasquad scrimmage. The team acquired Troy Hambrick, who suffered a season-ending torn foot ligament.

All the while, Croom impressed the Arizona coaches with his elusiveness and preparation. He passed Josh Scobey on the depth chart, putting him in position to start if Smith cannot.

“He has done a good job of being prepared,” running backs coach Kirby Wilson said. “Every week, on the tests of the game plan, he is really sharp. The last couple weeks, he’s been 100 percent sharp, so I know that he is really in tune.”

If Croom starts, he will be one of four rookies on offense for the Cardinals against Detroit. The others are quarterback John Navarre, making his first NFL start, center Alex Stepanovich and receiver Larry Fitzgerald.

“Everyone’s going to have to be on the same page for the offense to work,” Croom said. “We’ve had good practices this week, so now we have to build on that.”

In 2000, Croom was a redshirt freshman at Arizona, finishing third on the team in rushing with 257 yards. After that season, Dick Tomey resigned as coach and was replaced by John Mackovic.

Croom was listed first on the Wildcats’ depth chart after spring practice but was told he would be sharing playing time with two other backs. Also, Mackovic publicly stated a desire to throw the ball often.

“That couldn’t add up to a lot of work, with three backs and throwing the ball a lot,” Croom said. “I wanted more than three carries a game.”

That desire sent him to UNLV, where he ran for 1,537 yards in two years. While there, he learned from three highly regarded running-game minds — head coach John Robinson, offensive coordinator Bruce Snyder and backs coach John Jackson.

“They taught me to trust my instincts, recognize defenses and understand the game and discipline myself,” Croom said.

After the draft, Croom received free-agent interest from about 10 teams.

“Arizona was a good choice, good opportunity to make the team,” Croom said. “I went with my gut instinct, and it worked out.”

And on Sunday, the running back whose career began quietly could get his first opportunity to make noise.

“Because of his body stature and build, you’d think he was a power back,” Wilson said. “During the (free-agent) evaluation process, we observed that he had some avoidability, and he has proven us right.”

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=32535

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Seventh round pick starting at QB, and an undrafted rookie at RB. Ouch.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
There have been some pretty good players who have been UDFA's and low draft picks. I think the entire O-line of the Patriots is made up of UDFA's and low draft picks. And they are pretty good. :)

We will find out what Croom and John have tommorrow.

Personally, I'm not worried about where they where drafted. I'm more concerned that our starting RB and QB don't even have a full year in the NFL under their belt.

I'm hoping and praying, that atleast one of these guys can get it done Sunday!!!