Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny (IMAX/Netflix)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Crouching Tiger' Sequel to Hit Netflix and Imax Simultaneously in Groundbreaking Deal

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/crouching-tiger-sequel-hit-netflix-736611

In a dramatic rebuke of the traditional theatrical release, Netflix and The Weinstein Co. have signed a deal to release the sequel to Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon simultaneously on Netflix and in select Imax theaters around the world.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Green Legend will make its debut Aug. 28, 2015.

“The moviegoing experience is evolving quickly and profoundly, and Netflix is unquestionably at the forefront of that movement,” said TWC co-chairman Harvey Weinstein in a statement. “We are tremendously excited to be continuing our great relationship with Netflix and bringing to fans all over the world the latest chapter in this amazing and intriguing story.”

Netflix said Crouching Tiger 2 will be the first of several major films to be given a day-and-date release on Netflix and in some Imax theaters.

The company's chief content officer, Ted Sarandos, has long wanted to release movies day-and-date on Netflix and in theaters, something most exhibitors are unlikely to ever allow, meaning Crouching Tiger 2 may not play in Imax locations controlled by some of the major chains in the U.S. Indeed, Imax is making a bold move by partnering with Netflix.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AMC Joins Opposition To ‘Crouching Tiger 2′; IMAX Chief Urges Theaters To Reconsider

http://deadline.com/2014/09/amc-ent...-crouching-tiger-imax-richard-gelfond-843682/

The No. 2 chain, AMC Entertainment, just joined other major exhibitors that say they won’t offer Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Green Legend on their IMAX screens next year when it simultaneously debuts on Netflix. “We license just the technology from IMAX,” AMC says. “Only AMC and [its parent company] Wanda decide what programming plays in our respective theatres. No one has approached us to license this made-for-video sequel in the U.S. or China, so one must assume the screens IMAX committed are in science centers and aquariums.”

The No. 1 exhibition chain, Regal, said this morning that it won’t show the movie. Carmike joined the fray, saying it’s “committed to an exclusive theatrical release” and therefore is “opposed to showing day and date releases at our entertainment complexes.” Cinemark also nixed the film. And Europe’s Cineworld, the continent’s top IMAX operator, joined the opposition: “We bring our customers the IMAX experience as the complete opposite of home entertainment, which can be found on all sorts of smaller, every-day screens like the TV or smartphones and devices. We believe that the theatrical experience and IMAX, as one of its cornerstones, should be kept apart from home entertainment”.

That could gum up plans to introduce additional films simultaneously on IMAX and Netflix. The companies plan for “several” more, but only if the August 28, 2015 experiment “works,” IMAX CEO Richard Gelfond tells me. “We didn’t define what ‘works’ means. But we’ll all know if it worked or not.”

:grabs:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Netflix originals, Amazone Prime originals, DirecTV having exclusive rights to the NFL...ya know, I'm really sick and tired of the drive for companies to get 'exclusive' content to try to force consumers to purchase their product just to see one thing. I hope this deal absolutely falls apart on Netflix and IMAX.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But you don't have a problem with most movies being shown exclusively on theater screens for the first 7-8 months then exclusively on HBO

And you really must pay the Disney company with their movies

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Netflix originals, Amazone Prime originals, DirecTV having exclusive rights to the NFL...ya know, I'm really sick and tired of the drive for companies to get 'exclusive' content to try to force consumers to purchase their product just to see one thing. I hope this deal absolutely falls apart on Netflix and IMAX.

I think there's an incredible difference in the models you're complaining about. Netflix, Amazon Prime and others are buying or developing product for their platforms. Direct TV is buying the NFL for their platform and then paying a premium so that no one else can have it. One is good for the consumer and one isn't.

What Direct TV is doing stinks, just like it stinks when Starz TV buys the exclusive rights for a movie. In the end we are paying for it and all I want is my movies and my football, I don't feel better knowing my neighbor can't get it. And I feel like a sucker realizing I'm paying extra for the privilege of denying it to my neighbor.

Steve

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny

Release Date: December 31, 2015 (Netflix and IMAX)
Studio: The Weinstein Company
Director: Yuen Wo-Ping
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for martial arts violence and brief partial nudity)
Screenwriter: John Fusco
Genre: Action, Fantasy, Adventure

Starring: Michelle Yeoh, Donnie Yen, Harry Shum Jr, Jason Scott Lee, Roger Yuan, Eugenia Yuan, Natasha Liu Bordizzo

Plot Summary: Donnie Yen starring as Silent Wolf and Michelle Yeoh reprises her role as Yu Shu Lien. The screenplay is based on "Iron Knight, Silver Vase" by Wang Du Lu, book 5 in the "Crane-Iron Pentalogy" series, on which the original "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" was based.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually released on 2/26/2016.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny

Release Date: February 26, 2016 (Netflix and IMAX)
Studio: The Weinstein Company
Director: Yuen Wo-Ping
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for martial arts violence and brief partial nudity)
Screenwriter: John Fusco
Genre: Action, Fantasy, Adventure

Starring: Michelle Yeoh, Donnie Yen, Harry Shum Jr, Jason Scott Lee, Roger Yuan, Eugenia Yuan, Natasha Liu Bordizzo

Plot Summary: Donnie Yen starring as Silent Wolf and Michelle Yeoh reprises her role as Yu Shu Lien. The screenplay is based on "Iron Knight, Silver Vase" by Wang Du Lu, book 5 in the "Crane-Iron Pentalogy" series, on which the original "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" was based.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Very similar in tone to the first movie, but ultimately forgettable. Very strange to have this movie completely in English. Some of the acting and line delivery was laughable. I kept thinking that these are the dubbing artists for Chinese movies who were cast in the movie. Surreal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22