D-backs lock up Young for six years

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com...t_id=2501142&vkey=news_ari&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari

D-backs lock up Young for six years
Club, outfielder agree to multiyear contract through 2013
By Steve Gilbert / MLB.com

PHOENIX -- The D-backs have reached an agreement with outfielder Chris Young on a six-year deal that is expected to be announced Tuesday.
Negotiations on the deal began during Spring Training, but when a deal was not initially reached, the club renewed Young's contract for 2008 for around $400,000. Talks between the two sides heated up again soon after, and while a deal was reached toward the end of spring, there were still some final details to be worked out.
The contract is believed to be close to the one signed recently by Rockies shortstop Troy Tuluwitzki, which was for six years and $30 million.
The deal would keep Young in a D-backs uniform through 2013 and would cover all his arbitration years in addition to his first year of free agency.
Young became the first rookie in Major League history to collect 30 homers and 25 stolen bases last season when he hit 32 homers and stole 27 bases. His nine leadoff home runs were the fifth-most in a single season. Acquired by the D-backs from the White Sox after the 2005 season, Young has three home runs this season.

Awesome news for the the dbacks and CY. It's good to see the club proactive with this and getting him locked up for reasonable dough over the next 6.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it. Bold, proactive move by management. Now pray Young's batting average starts rising.

OP
OP
Big D

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
ESPN is reporting it as a five year extension. Nice to have him locked up thru 2013.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3334498

Yea it would be a 5 yr extention since he was already signed for 2008 I guess. I think the dbacks website article is just saying he is now locked up for 6 years which are the 2008-2013 seasons. Bottom line is he's going to be here through '13 at a price tag that isn't all that difficult to swallow. Personally I think CY is going to be a better player than Tulo.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Josh Byrnes is the best thing to happen to this organization in a long time. Hopefully he doesnt start Jones'ing for a Yankees type job down the road because he is behind 99% of the success we currently have in place.

Now if they could some how keep Upton from EVER becoming a free agent they should erect a statue of Byrnes on the corner of Jefferson.

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
I saw this on the D-Backs site... great move locking him up for another 6 years and hopefully he continues to get even better.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Fantastic! I didn't think this deal was going to get done. Let's lock everyone up through 2013! :)

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is TRULY a great day for the Dbacks...

I mean we are literally the epitome of "just keep the core together", and Young is as important of a piece as any...

Young, Upton, Reynolds, Jackson, Drew, Webb, Haren, and Owings...

Fringers like Snyder, Hudson, and dare I say Brynes would be GREAT to keep, but certainly not an the expense of ANY of our core guys....

Good job on the Young signing, now focus on Upton....

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is also a team option for 2014, which is where the five vs. six years comes from.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With no one left to extend for awhile I wonder if we could get a deal done with Hudson. I like Bonifacio but I feel we need to keep Hudson.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
I really love ESPN... not only do they believe that the Red Sox and Yankees are the only two teams in baseball... but after more than a year, they still have not learned how to correctly link Chris Young's profile with articles about him. Whenever one clicks on CY's name, it always leads to this.

I kid, I kid... but seriously... they always link CY with the Chris Young from San Diego