D-backs' trip Down Under highlights '14 schedule

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The D-backs will make history when they open the 2014 season with a pair of regular-season games in Sydney, Australia, against the Dodgers.

The games on March 22 and 23, which will be played at the historic Sydney Cricket Ground, will be the first Major League regular-season games played in Australia.

The D-backs and Dodgers will have the spotlight all to themselves, as the rest of baseball will still be playing Spring Training games.

"Last time I was there was 1985 on my honeymoon, so it will be on a little different terms this time," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said. "Hopefully we'll get in a couple of good baseball games that the people there will enjoy. It's exciting and it will be cool to go back there. It's a neat country, it really is."

In a sense, the D-backs will have two Opening Days next year.

The D-backs will return to Arizona following the two games and finish up its Cactus League schedule before resuming regular-season play with a March 31 game against the Giants at Chase Field. After the four-game series with San Francisco, the D-backs head to Denver and San Francisco.

Both of the games in Sydney will be considered home games for the D-backs, so they will play just 79 games at Chase Field in 2014. Giving up a pair of home games was a tough thing to do, but the D-backs felt it was worth it given the opportunity to play internationally.

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130910&content_id=60089280&c_id=ari

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Interleague Play, the Astros (June 9-10), Indians (June 24-25), Tigers (July 21-23) and Royals (Aug. 5-7) will visit Chase Field.

Losing two Dodger home games, plus a crappy interleague home schedule - I hope MLB is paying the DBACKS millions to go to Australia

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
In Interleague Play, the Astros (June 9-10), Indians (June 24-25), Tigers (July 21-23) and Royals (Aug. 5-7) will visit Chase Field.

Losing two Dodger home games, plus a crappy interleague home schedule - I hope MLB is paying the DBACKS millions to go to Australia

YUCK!!!

:barf:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Both of the games in Sydney will be considered home games for the D-backs, so they will play just 79 games at Chase Field in 2014. Giving up a pair of home games was a tough thing to do, but the D-backs felt it was worth it given the opportunity to play internationally.
'Any idea why they didn't split the 2-games series as one home game for each team? The rich get richer. Or, in this case, the poor get poorer.

Maybe if there is an earthquake in L.A. canceling a D'backs/Dodgers game next season, it could be made up during a later series at Chase Field. Yeah, right!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
'Any idea why they didn't split the 2-games series as one home game for each team? The rich get richer. Or, in this case, the poor get poorer.

Maybe if there is an earthquake in L.A. canceling a D'backs/Dodgers game next season, it could be made up during a later series at Chase Field. Yeah, right!

This has Towers and Hall written all over it. Just dumb giving up two home games. The Dodgers probably threw money in the Diamondbacks faces and they accepted it.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has Towers and Hall written all over it. Just dumb giving up two home games. The Dodgers probably threw money in the Diamondbacks faces and they accepted it.

Yup, that totally something a GM would do. :rolleyes:

By the way, I have a good friend who works for the D-Backs on the tech side and travels a lot with them. They were told it had more to do with the Dodgers (and Fox) throwing a fit over losing a home game.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, that totally something a GM would do. :rolleyes:

By the way, I have a good friend who works for the D-Backs on the tech side and travels a lot with them. They were told it had more to do with the Dodgers (and Fox) throwing a fit over losing a home game.

So are the Dodgers, Fox and MLB compensating the Dbacks?

What about the City of Phoenix and lost tax revenue?

All the vendors?? Business surrounding the stadium?

Stadium staff just lost two paydays.

GADDABOUT - someone from the media should be asking these questions.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So are the Dodgers, Fox and MLB compensating the Dbacks?

What about the City of Phoenix and lost tax revenue?

All the vendors?? Business surrounding the stadium?

Stadium staff just lost two paydays.

GADDABOUT - someone from the media should be asking these questions.

I have no clue and I doubt he does enough to even ask.