David Stern whines and acts like a child

Roca Dolla

BIRD CITY!
Reaction score
NBA referees are prepared to be locked out for the start of the season after negotiations with the league on a new contract broke down this week and Commissioner David Stern ended the latest bargaining session.

No further talks are scheduled -- and when they do resume, it'll be without the commissioner.

Referees spokesman Lamell McMorris accused Stern of acting childish and not negotiating in good faith, so Stern removed himself from the process.

Stern said Thursday he told McMorris that, "In fact, if it was going to get personal -- which apparently he's decided to make it by calling news media and leveling a series of inaccurate allegations -- that I would absent myself from the negotiations, which I have."

"Hopefully we'll make a deal with the referees, or we won't, but it won't be on the basis of personality, it'll be on the basis of economics."

"The problem is, David Stern does not negotiate. He tells you what's going to happen, and then when you don't do it, and do something differently, he whines and acts like a child," McMorris said. "That's not how you negotiate. Not with adults."

Stern said the NBA would be well-represented even without him, but didn't leave much hope that a resolution would come soon.

"On the basis of the last series of proposals, it doesn't appear that there's any point at this time to further negotiations, but obviously it still remains our goal to start this season with our existing referees working," Stern said.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Whoever advised the referees to try to rally public sympathy behind them was woefully misguided. NBA fans hate their referees and think they should all be canned. Stern isn't popular either, but Stern's incompetence isn't displayed on a nightly basis. McMorris has adopted a terrible negotiating strategy, and his clients will pay for it.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'm not surprised Stern would act like this. Although he is a very intelligent man, he is also very immature, classless and immoral and has proven so throughout his tenor as commissioner. I can go over the list but its just way too damn long.

I don't care much for the referees either, but I do feel sorry that they have to deal with him to get a new CBA in tact.

Its going to be interesting how the scab officials perform. Hard to fathom they can be any worse than the others, but then again, they are definitely Stern's cronies now.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The biggest problem with NBA refs is consistency. You never know what will be called at any given time depending on the players involved. I'd rather have scabs that may not be as good but at least call the game the same the entire 48min.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
The sooner Stern is replaced by Jerry Colangelo the better for the NBA.

buttsR4rebounding

Registered
Reaction score
The sooner Stern is replaced by Jerry Colangelo the better for the NBA.

PLEASE...Colangelo plays his favorites just like Stern. The NBA has become a huge international draw. The number of fans that watch it worldwide has mushroomed under Stern. It has more viewers than the NFL by a wide margin. Stern isn't going anywhere in the near future.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
PLEASE...Colangelo plays his favorites just like Stern. The NBA has become a huge international draw. The number of fans that watch it worldwide has mushroomed under Stern. It has more viewers than the NFL by a wide margin. Stern isn't going anywhere in the near future.

The Lakers, Celtics and Spurs will cry in unison the day Stern resigns.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
The officials hold the biggest bargaining chip, ace up the sleeve, compromising photos... however you want to describe it. I wonder when they will pull it out and set it on the table.

In case you don't know what it is, you haven't been paying attention. Here is a hint: Tim Donaghy.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The officials hold the biggest bargaining chip, ace up the sleeve, compromising photos... however you want to describe it. I wonder when they will pull it out and set it on the table.

In case you don't know what it is, you haven't been paying attention. Here is a hint: Tim Donaghy.

Good observation. I find it hard to believe Donaghy was the lone assassin. That is nearly as bad as Specter's magic bullet theory. I always thought Stern would eventually get taken down. He has peed too many people off. Maybe the new Russian owner issue will sink Stern's ship. The refs have long been the whipping boy of the NBA. Stern packages and markets the NBA in his own model and that includes the refs.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I can see why there is some hatred towards Stern, however you guys are totally ignoring the fact that the NBA has oversome serious problems since he took over and expanded globally into the world's #2 sport behind soccer.

Say what you want about Stern, but he has been amazing for the league and game of baseketball in general. I have a 85 page thesis to support my claims if you want any more information ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05