Dbacks fire pitching staff

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The blame always has to be laid at someone's feet.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was certain Fetters was gone.

Tough on Strom because he is the reason that our young pitchers improved so much, his knowledge. He was the one who corrected Pfaadt last year with his mechanics and where he starts on the mound.

But the veteran pitches all had down years. It was really odd.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Torrey won't go anywhere until the team starts finishing at the bottom of the division for a year or two... The guys seem to like him, too. Is what it is.

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
Can Torrey fire himself? It's his questionable decisions with the rotation and bullpen that sunk the team.
He should simply resign for the good of the team. He is everyone's buddy, but that doesn't win championships. Mishandling and mismanaging the pitchers will certainly result in missed postseason opportunities - even if the offense is top of the league/majors. If the entire pitching staff was fired, Lovullo should go as well.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Torrey won't go anywhere until the team starts finishing at the bottom of the division for a year or two... The guys seem to like him, too. Is what it is.

I am not even sure then. It will only happen if Hazen is going out as well and I doubt that happens in the next 5 years after the world series appearance AND him turning down mega money from the Red Sox.

82 is right, it is not even worth complaining about.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should simply resign for the good of the team. He is everyone's buddy, but that doesn't win championships. Mishandling and mismanaging the pitchers will certainly result in missed postseason opportunities - even if the offense is top of the league/majors. If the entire pitching staff was fired, Lovullo should go as well.

Your complaint is really with Hazen. Hazen made it absolutely clear on 98.7 when doing their exit interviews.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Torrey makes some decisions that drive me crazy, but he certainly had a good feel for the team down the stretch of last year and for most of this season... but I have no explanation for what happened the last 5 weeks.

At the end of August he was probably the front runner for manager of the year. With all the injuries we'd had all over the roster and Carroll having a disaster of a season, us being only a few games back of the Dodgers and well up in the wild card was shocking. Equally shocking was the team totally falling apart right when we got (mostly) healthy.