DET 35 ARI 23 Grades

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Rushing Offense: F

One has to wonder whether Harold Goodwin is as over-rated as his veteran offensive linemen. With one of the best RBs in the NFL to block for, this offensive line laid an absolute egg in the running game.

Passing Offense: F

Very reminiscent of Carson Palmer's performance in the 2015 NFC Championship game when he hurried his throws and was picked off left and right. This has become an alarming pattern for Palmer since that game. When your veteran QB turns the ball over as carelessly as he did and with a 10-0 lead, it affects the confidence of the whole football team and it gives the opponents ample belief that this is their day.

Ball Security: F

During BA's tenure as head coach, the Cardinals are 26-2 when they win the battle of turnovers. For some strange reason, BA cannot seem to impress the critical importance of protecting the ball to his veteran QB and in this game also to his star RB, who fumbled twice, the 2nd of which led to a scoop and run TD that let to 26 unanswered points for the Lions. Part of the disconnect between Arians and his QB and RB may be tied to Arians' high risk spread offense which more often than not provides minimal protection for the QB. However, the familiar excuses of Palmer not having enough time in the pocket and his WRs running the wrong routes aren't going to cut it any more. Time to fix it or nix it.

Rushing Defense: A-

The Cardinals defensive line did an excellent job of walling off the play side and taking away the cutbacks.

Passing Defense: D

The Cardinals pretty much deserved an A for their pass defense until the Lions last drive of the first half, following Phil Dawson's shank doink off the goal posts from 32 yards. From that point on, Matthew Stafford got into a groove (more on how this happened in the coaching section) and had repeatedly open targets in Golden Tate, TJ Jones and rookie Kenny Golladay (2 TDs). Patrick Peterson held Marvin Jones in check, but did commit a holding penalty on a 3rd down and did surrender a TD to Jones off a Stafford scramble.

Pass Rush: F

As Harry presciently forecasted, pressuring Stafford would be a key to this game. Unfortunately, the Cardinals were not up to the task. Chandler Jones recorded a coverage sack, but was not a factor otherwise. Markus Golden was uncharacteristically quiet. And the interior pass rushers were stuck in mud and could not collapse the pocket, not could they disengage to tackle Stafford when he bolted the pocket. One has to question why the Cardinals kept 9 defensive linemen last year and not a single one of them has shown inside pass rushing ability. Highly talked about rusher Olsen Pierre was invisible in this game, as was every other DT. Clearly, this team thus far has had no answer to the loss of Calais Campbell who recorded 4 sacks for 1-0 Jacksonville yesterday. Robert Nkemdiche, the brightest hope, remains sidelined by a calf strain.

Punting: A-

Andy Lee was excellent in his Cardinals' debut. The coverage was not as swift as necessary, but Elijhaa Penny was the first man to the ball on every cover team.

Kickoffs: A-

Phil Dawson got good hang time and the cover team was good, helped in part by some shaky decisions by the Lions' kickoff returners. Again, Penny was the primary tackler. Rudy Ford nailed one too. Dawson's on-side kick was kicked perfectly --- to bad the kickoff gunners looked unprepared.

Kicking Game: D

It's very difficult to understand how a veteran like Phil Dawson can clank a 32 yarder (despite a perfect snap and hold) and thus perpetuate the Cardinals' kicking woes. That led to the defense once again giving up points right before the half, and it created a 6 point swing. Dawson was good otherwise, but the 32 yard miss was as bad as each one of Carson Palmers "palmovers."

Encouraging Performances:

LB Haason Reddick---he was on RB Ameer Abdullah like glue. Timed and stuck his tackles well. Added much needed aggression to the pass rush when called on.

RB Kerwynn Williams---ran hard and delivered on the TD run.

LB Josh Bynes---like Justin Bethel, good first half.

P Andy Lee---superb.

ST Elijhaa Penny---was consistently there to make stops.

Coaching: F

Winning in the NFL is all about making adjustments. Last year the Cardinals lost many close games because critical adjustments were not made. This game was taken over my Matthew Stafford, with the help of OC Jim Bob Cooter's preparation and adjustments. Stafford opted to go without a huddle so he could read the defensive alignments and predict where the blitzes were coming from. What he did was use a couple of hard counts to see which LBers and Ss would jump. He caught Tyrann Mathieu jumping a couple of times and audibled plays away from the blitzes with adjusted protections. Even worse, on the Cardinals' part, on one play where it was clear that Mathieu was blitzing from Stafford's blind side, for some inexplicable reason Bettcher called a loop stunt (DE/DT exchange) to Stafford's strong side...which meant Badger was rushing in from behind while on the other side Golden was crashing down inside, while Chandler Jones was looping...which meant a wide open escape route for Stafford to his right where he created a wide open passing lane and converted the 3rd down, thanks to a nice catch from TJ Jones.

On the flip side...did we ever see Carson Palmer use a hard count or make key audibles on the line? The only hard count we've seen in two years was from Drew Stanton in the Falcon pre-season game which gave him a free play that he threw the TD to John Brown on. Why is it that Palmer does not try at all to keep the defense off balance? The pass rushers are teeing off. One of the biggest plays of the game took place at the start of the 4th quarter. the Cardinals had the ball near mid-field and were faced with a 3rd and 4. Perfect time for a hard count, right? The offense had the whole quarter break to discuss the play. Also, if they were going to use the spread (0 backfield), why not at least chip the blind side DE to John Wetzel's side? You know, just to make sure Palmer gets an extra second or two? Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

Also, how is it that James Bettcher has Antoine Bethea playing centerfield? Bethea played well in underneath coverage...but he lacks the range and speed to play FS. There is no way the Cardinals should have given up that TD bomb to Golladay. Plus, Mathieu on Tate wasn't working. Throw some confusion in there. Put Peterson on Tate and bracket Marvin Jones with Bethel and Branch. Do something. Adjust.

This probably won't happen but i would love to see BA let the youth and/or 2nd stringers on the team vie for playing time behind the struggling veteran starters: light a fire under their butts.

Palmer---Gabbert
Iupati---Boone
Shipley---Munyer or Boehm
Veldheer---John
Bethel---Williams
Bethea---Baker
Branch---Ford

It looks that the youth on this team needs to be turned to much sooner rather than later. Man, so many of the Cardinals' veterans looked sluggish, error-prone, out of shape and unmotivated.

Personnel:

With David Johnson out, Kerwynn Williams becomes the starter, which is good, Williams deserves it and he runs hard. In my opinion, instead of re-signing Chris Johnson, it would be best to re-sign WR Jeremy Ross so he can take over the kickoff and punt return duties from Williams. The Cardinals need help at WR in the slot, so that's an added plus. Ellington and Penny could be the backups...and when and if the time comes, it would be great to see the Cardinals promote James Summers, who can be an asset as a situational RB and good STs player.

That would be the move: waive LB Scooby Wright and sign him back to the PS and re-sign WR Jeremy Ross.

if you want to add Chris Johnson too, the problem is which player to waive. Now that D.J. Humphries is injured, if he can return in a few weeks, they shouldn't put him on the IR, which means that keeping John Wetzel, Ulrich John and Will Holden turned out to be a blessing. It looks like TE Jermaine Gresham may miss some time as well. Perhaps the Cardinals can make do with Niklas and Momah for a week or two. But, again, what players would the team waive if they were to add another TE, like a Gary Barnidge, for example?

T Will Holden?
WR Brittan Golden?
DT Xavier Williams?
CB Tramon Williams?

See---that's a tough decision. What do you think?

Last edited:

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Who starts at rb does not matter when you rush 12 times and throw 48 with the lead - same crap I've been screaming ad nauseum- nothing absolutely nothing is wrong with Carson palmer except he is asked to out perform NFL defenses - while the game plan and the play caller ignorantly and stupidly remains one dimensional, greedy and passes like their hair is on fire.

Every incomplete pass is 0 yards, as close to negative yardage as each moment can get.
Every pass is at higher risk of penalty , fumble or interception.
NFL defenses know cards will pass and are disrespected by ba's arrogance - defenses get paid too! Why would the adjust to a pitiful run game and make it easier for play action to succeed.

Cards are fundamentally mucked up, and my blame is on BA- and his boss Steve keim for not supervising him.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Who starts at rb does not matter when you rush 12 times and throw 48 with the lead - same crap I've been screaming ad nauseum- nothing absolutely nothing is wrong with Carson palmer except he is asked to out perform NFL defenses - while the game plan and the play caller ignorantly and stupidly remains one dimensional, greedy and passes like their hair is on fire.

Every incomplete pass is 0 yards, as close to negative yardage as each moment can get.
NFL defenses know cards will pass and are disrespected by ba's arrogance - defenses get paid too! Why would the adjust to a pitiful run game and make it easier for play action to succeed.

Cards are fundamentally mucked up, and my blame is on BA- and his boss Steve keim for not supervising him.

There is no question that BA has always had a pass oriented offense. I was asked to answer some questions about the Cardinals on a podcast from Green Bay this past week, and one of the questions I was asked was whether David Johnson could achieve his 1,000 rushing and receiving goal, and my answer was that this year he would probably have a better chance getting the 1,000 receiving because it is clear to me that the Cardinals' offensive line is not very athletic and they are very limited by what they can do in the running game.

Steve Keim is still trying to adjust his scouting to BA's schemes. As we can see by recent drafts---Keim is struggling to find players who can mesh with BA, his staff and the schemes.

The only way, imo, the Cardinals can effectively run the football with their current o-line is to run a power scheme with an I formation. But, here again, BA refuses to use a fullback. So, we are going to continue to see our RBs get hit several times a game by the first penetrator This is where BA's schemes, imo, leave the QB a sitting duck in the spread and the RB a sitting duck in the running game without a FB to take out the first penetrator or a blocking back to help the QB.

Note: this is why Bill Cowher would never have wanted BA as his OC. In fact, Cowher was disgruntled with Whisenhunt for being pass happy and de-emphasizing the running game.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Fitz was targeted 13 times and came away with only 6 catches. I can't recall a time when he produced that low of a catch to target ratio... And I blame Palmer and our o-line for it. Many of those targets should've never been thrown to Fitz as he simply wasn't open. Others were just piss poor throws from Palmer.
All I can say is that ratio better be an outlier and not the new norm. Ideally Fitz should see about 10 targets a game with 8 receptions. That would signal a much more efficient and balanced offense.
Let's hope this is truly Palmer's last season...He has gotten slower and less accurate. A true liability now and behind this o-line, well, we are in for a very frustrating season to say the least...

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Fitz was targeted 13 times and came away with only 6 catches. I can't recall a time when he produced that low of a catch to target ratio... And I blame Palmer and our o-line for it. Many of those targets should've never been thrown to Fitz as he simply wasn't open. Others were just piss poor throws from Palmer.
All I can say is that ratio better be an outlier and not the new norm. Ideally Fitz should see about 10 targets a game with 8 receptions. That would signal a much more efficient and balanced offense.
Let's hope this is truly Palmer's last season...He has gotten slower and less accurate. A true liability now and behind this o-line, well, we are in for a very frustrating season to say the least...

Very good points. Too bad Palmer just overthrew Fitz on the fade route. Fitz has to make DBs think twice about leveraging him underneath his routes as they are gambling that Palmer won't throw it to Fitz over the top.

Also, on that 3rd and 18, Fitz was open up the seam on a ball that should have been thrown on time, but Palmer was late and the safety got there to break it up. The timing of the offense is way out of sync.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Very good points. Too bad Palmer just overthrew Fitz on the fade route. Fitz has to make DBs think twice about leveraging him underneath his routes as they are gambling that Palmer won't throw it to Fitz over the top.

Also, on that 3rd and 18, Fitz was open up the seam on a ball that should have been thrown on time, but Palmer was late and the safety got there to break it up. The timing of the offense is way out of sync.

One of the biggest take always for me was that I felt like I was watching a team that had little to no preseason work! I totally believe the little to zero playing time players like Palmer, Fitz, John Brown, Iupati, Veldheer, David Johnson and Humphries, etc... showed up big time... They all looked totally disconnected. Is the Lions defense THAT good?? Ugggghhh....

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
One of the biggest take always for me was that I felt like I was watching a team that had little to no preseason work! I totally believe the little to zero playing time players like Palmer, Fitz, John Brown, Iupati, Veldheer, David Johnson and Humphries, etc... showed up big time... They all looked totally disconnected. Is the Lions defense THAT good?? Ugggghhh....

The irony was that with the exception of Fitz and David Johnson, BA played the first team offense more this pre-season than last year. Palmer had twice the snaps he did in 2016. DJH missed the Falcons' game with Wetzel in his place. But all the rest worked together and they played well that night.

One has to wonder about conditioning, too. Did not look like the Cardinals were well conditioned. And that, as you well know, leads to a number of mental and physical mistakes.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I felt the same thing. Totally out of rhythm the entire game.

I thought the Lions pass rush wasn't that good. It was more on Palmer freaking out and over/under throwing receivers than anything else.

The Lions packed the box and dared Palmer to throw over top. An in sync Palmer scores 40 points on that strategy.

Stafford adeptly sidestepped the blitz and looked calm and collected.

I think the strategy of resting Palmer has made him rusty.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Our line was terrible and we couldn't get any yards running the ball. If they do not fear the pass and stack the box, you cannot run. We were reasonably balanced before the game got out of control.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know this sounds trivial but I don't recall our pass rushers getting their hands up to block passing lanes.

Underrated aspect of defense.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reddick did look good but has to wrap up when he gets to the QB. Missed a sure sack by not wrapping up. He is quick though and I wish they sent him more.

THESMEL

Reaction score
Our line was terrible and we couldn't get any yards running the ball. If they do not fear the pass and stack the box, you cannot run. We were reasonably balanced before the game got out of control.

Respect you man but DJ having 11 runs before injury and only wr jaron Brown got the 1 other rush attempt - again only the 08 SB loss (10) and the 09 saints playoff loss(10) had fewer rush attempts than Sunday's game. Not cards, NFL not college, high school, pee wee -none - no football I have ever seen has 10-12 rush attempts in an entire game. The play caller is completely to blame. If that dont change nothing else matters

Levi brown didn't have a chance when the opposing defense was in blood in the water mode the whole game and neither does this oline,

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Respect you man but DJ having 11 runs before injury and only wr jaron Brown got the 1 other rush attempt - again only the 08 SB loss (10) and the 09 saints playoff loss(10) had fewer rush attempts than Sunday's game. Not cards, NFL not college, high school, pee wee -none - no football I have ever seen has 10-12 rush attempts in an entire game. The play caller is completely to blame. If that dont change nothing else matters

I consider swings and screens to be runs too.

Either way, 11 carries at that point I have no problem with. If we would have scored the two red zone chances that we didnt, there would have been a LOT of running to close out the game. Teams who run a lot usually have a lead.

THESMEL

Reaction score
I don't a pass is a pass and an incompletion is 0 yards and at higher risk for penalty and turnover - but really it's the pressure on oline, qb and defense that multiplies over the course of time. Really find me a game with 12 rushes and if you can , did they win?

THESMEL

Reaction score
There is no question that BA has always had a pass oriented offense. I was asked to answer some questions about the Cardinals on a podcast from Green Bay this past week, and one of the questions I was asked was whether David Johnson could achieve his 1,000 rushing and receiving goal, and my answer was that this year he would probably have a better chance getting the 1,000 receiving because it is clear to me that the Cardinals' offensive line is not very athletic and they are very limited by what they can do in the running game.

Steve Keim is still trying to adjust his scouting to BA's schemes. As we can see by recent drafts---Keim is struggling to find players who can mesh with BA, his staff and the schemes.

The only way, imo, the Cardinals can effectively run the football with their current o-line is to run a power scheme with an I formation. But, here again, BA refuses to use a fullback. So, we are going to continue to see our RBs get hit several times a game by the first penetrator This is where BA's schemes, imo, leave the QB a sitting duck in the spread and the RB a sitting duck in the running game without a FB to take out the first penetrator or a blocking back to help the QB.

Note: this is why Bill Cowher would never have wanted BA as his OC. In fact, Cowher was disgruntled with Whisenhunt for being pass happy and de-emphasizing the running game.

As I remember whis the running most play caller in the NFL when we hired him then adjusted to the passing most playcaller in the NFL for several seasons - SB season bell cow was edge last game and playoffs - then 10 carries in SB loss - beanie was bell cow on one leg in 09 - had a 3 score lead rushing beanie and playaction against the packers in the playoffs- then 10 rushes in the saints playoff blowout loss - first was 80 yard Td by tht !

As far as keim goes he needs to tell BA to run more - because it is hurting the team- who else is going to do it? He gets paid to supervise BA - and BA game plan and play calling is the problem, instead of trying to find personnel with a death wish to get along with BA -

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't a pass is a pass and an incompletion is 0 yards and at higher risk for penalty and turnover - but really it's the pressure on oline, qb and defense that multiplies over the course of time. Really find me a game with 12 rushes and if you can , did they win?
we had 18 rushes in this game

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I saw great effort from penny on special teams plays but I noted he was outrun by redfern after the dropped punt in the end zone
Redfern had like 3 torn ligaments in the end of that play
Being slower then a punter is a bad sign for a rb