DirecTV versus Cable?

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
I currently have Comcast cable in Northern California. That means I'm only guaranteed to see 3 Cardinal games this year (SF twice, and the Monday night game. Oakland usually doesn't sell out, but I hope to be there in person for the Cards.).

Of course, the solution is to get DirecTV. But I'm a little reluctant to do that. I've heard so many bad things about DirecTV (intermittent reception, poor customer service, overly compressed HD channels), that I'm not sure if I want to give up the other channels I get through Comcast.

Any here have thoughts on DirecTV? Are the people who post the negative thoughts on DBSTalk.com just a very vocal minority?

FWIW, I don't have HD yet. Hope to get it before the end of the season.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I love Direct TV (don't have HD, tho). Cust service has always been excellent. The only time the signal went down was during last weeks monsoon storm - first time in 4 years.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
have never once, ever, had a problem with DTV and getting a good signal - that was with 10 + years in upstate NY with all sorts of storms and a couple years down here with the monsoon

customer service has always been great for me - however, my parents switched to dish because DTV was unwilling to offer some perks to their long term subscribers - seems like they have gotten better with this though, with the formation of the retentions department

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 games, there are 3 national games plus the 2 49er games.

If you can get directv and can afford it I'd do it. I'm stuck with Dish Network because I rent a townhouse and that's what it comes with.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with Directv for 3+ years. The only time the reception is bad is during very severe thunderstorms. Even then, once it clears up it comes right back, whereas cable could be out for hours or more.

Customer service has always been top notch for me as well.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Direct TV has been great for us, Tivo helps as well.

I hear DTV is now offering it's own DVR which sucks like the one you get with cable. I really hate corporate branding

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm holding on to my Tivo until they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cable is horrible. I went to satellite TV eight years ago and love it. Had DISH first, then switched to Direct last year. I'd take either over cable everytime. The main thing for Direct TV is the NFL ticket, of course. But, I just dropped NFL ticket because it's not worth it to me with going to every Cards home game and watching every Cards road game.

OP
OP
gusmahler

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
5 games, there are 3 national games plus the 2 49er games.

What are the 3 national games? The Bears on Monday Night. NFL.com says the 12/31 Chargers game is national. Are you counting the preseason game?

Cardsmasochist

Full Throttle!!
Reaction score
gusmahler said:
What are the 3 national games? The Bears on Monday Night. NFL.com says the 12/31 Chargers game is national. Are you counting the preseason game?

There are a couple of Cardinals Sunday night games on ABC

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started with Primestar. They got bought out by Direct TV. I never had a problem with either and would never go back to cable even if someone gave it to me free.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gusmahler said:

From an earlier thread here.

Monday Night, October 16th vs. Bears
Sunday, November 12th vs. Dallas
Sunday, December 31st vs. Chargers

OP
OP
gusmahler

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
From an earlier thread here.

Monday Night, October 16th vs. Bears
Sunday, November 12th vs. Dallas
Sunday, December 31st vs. Chargers

I know this is getting OT, but Nov 12 is during the "flex" schedule period. I thought they didn't determine which game would be moved until 12 days before the game? (That's what the NFL.com site says).

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
I started with Primestar. They got bought out by Direct TV. I never had a problem with either and would never go back to cable even if someone gave it to me free.

WORD.

And after one year they give you superfan if you threaten to cancel your sunday ticket package. :)

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How much a month do you guys with Direct TV pay a month? Is it a lot more than cable?

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
DirecTV customer service has always been great for me, and TIVO is unbelievable!

If I lose receptions during a heavy storm, it usually clears within a few minutes. Mind you, it has to be a pretty severe storm.

This is my 4th year with the NFL Ticket, and I've only missed one game, due to Huricane Isabelle. If I had a generator, I would could have watched that game as well. (By the way, I had DirecTV service once power was restored, but it took Charter Cable three weeks to restore reception.)

Go Cards!!!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
How much a month do you guys with Direct TV pay a month? Is it a lot more than cable?
It's hard to compare apples to apples because of the special packages like Sunday Ticket, College FB Game Plan, Total Sports Pkg and MLB Home Plate.

But I made the comparison a year or two ago and found that, for basic service plus HBO and Showtime, DirecTV cost a few dollars per month less than cable.

The other thing about DirecTV is that, whereas cable as an inclination not to add new channels right away, DirecTV adds them as soon as they're available. The only programming disadvantage of DirecTV is that it doesn't cover local cable news channels (a nice thing to have in a corridor state like NJ that gets its network TV from NYC and Philly).

With regard to "problems" - yeah, when there's a heavy rainstorm, you'll know about it 5-minutes in advance because your tv image will lock up with DirecTV. But then all you have to do is switch your remote to "regular tv" to get local channels from your regular antenna (or, as we do, get our broadband from our local cable company and pay $1 extra per month to get basic cable service as a fallback in case of extended heavy rain or snow).

But other than that, we've had no problems and DirecTV customer service has been excellent.

DakotaCardsFan

Making time travel possible
Reaction score
I've had DTV for 4 years now....

... and I'm happy with the broadcast quality, etc. As for customer service, I haven't really had an issue with them. However, tech support is another matter entirely.

I got a Tivo receiver 18 months ago and within 6 months it crapped out. They sent a free replacement (provided I agreed to another year of service) and that lasted for another 7 months before it too went south. They replaced it with one of their own dvr receivers (again, only if I agree to another year or service) and it has lasted almost 5 months now. While customer service is fine, technical support is horrid. You must listen and step through their VRU which takes a good 5 - 10 minutes as it helps you "trouble shoot" your problem before you can actually talk to anyone. At which point they will walk you through the same flowchart that you just followed with the vru before they transfer you to the real tech support holding queue. Eventually, a real live tech support rep will typically tell you to "Try doing this or that, restart your receiver and then call back in if it still isn't working." At which point, you start the whole process over.

Sorry this kind of turned into a venting session, but I've been without local channels for over a month because I haven't had the time to sit on the phone for over an hour to try and get the problem resolved. Still, if you want the Sunday Ticket, it's the only game in town.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had directv for four years and love it. I've only lost the signal twice, both during super crazy thunderstorms. It didn't take long for the signal to return.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had DirecTV for years. It blows doors of analog cable, much clearer and crisper picture. Can't compare it to digital cable since I've never had that.

I've never had 1 second of outage in the 6+ years I have had it. Can't comment on the customer service since I have never had to call them up.

I used to have the NFL Sunday ticket and it was fun, but really made no sense since I go to the local games, and the Cards are televised locally when they are on the road. Invaluable, I am sure, for out-of-towners, though.

The only nitpick I can think of is it takes 1-4 seconds for a new channel to tune in when you flip. This sounds like nothing (well because it is nothing) but if you are trying to rapidly flip between games it kind of bugs you.

It used to be cheaper than cable. It was 39.99 for a 100+ channel basic package for years. Then it creeped up to 41.99 and now it is 44.99. Still pretty comparable to digital cable if not cheaper.

Codeofhammurabi

Cards Fan Since 1971
Reaction score
I love Direct TV, and have had great service when I have had problems. I wouldn't be afraid to switch at all.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gusmahler said:
I currently have Comcast cable in Northern California. That means I'm only guaranteed to see 3 Cardinal games this year (SF twice, and the Monday night game. Oakland usually doesn't sell out, but I hope to be there in person for the Cards.).

Of course, the solution is to get DirecTV. But I'm a little reluctant to do that. I've heard so many bad things about DirecTV (intermittent reception, poor customer service, overly compressed HD channels), that I'm not sure if I want to give up the other channels I get through Comcast.

Any here have thoughts on DirecTV? Are the people who post the negative thoughts on DBSTalk.com just a very vocal minority?

FWIW, I don't have HD yet. Hope to get it before the end of the season.

Get it now. Get Tivo. It'll cost you around $49 bucks for 1 unit. It's $5 a month for every additional unit per month. You'll never miss another game and you'll wonder just how the hell you ever lived without Tivo.