Disrespect

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
I've never started a thread before, but I got pissed off this morning.

The AR's headline was 'Golden proves who's 'nastier', and second head is 'Cardinals' sack artist is team's best pass rusher.'

I hated the decision to let him go several years ago, and was glad he returned to . But 'best pass rusher' is a pretty hasty and disrespectful label--clearly aiming to diss Chandler Jones.

Dana Scott probably doesn't write the headlines, and thank the stars showed more qualified judgment in the article: 'best pass rusher this season, on the numbers.' True in most respects. His sack #s, compared to CJ's, are 9 to 6, per games are 1 to .7, plus his FF are 4 to 2, solo tackles are 18 to 11. Admittedly, CJ has more QB hits, 16 to 13, and equal TFL in two less games played. But Golden deserves high praise, higher than I expected to give him.

But 'team's best pass rusher' implies superiority in an optimal mix of skill, speed, strength, and toughness, plus conditions like double-teams, and half a season is just too data to justify stripping the crown from arguably the NFL's number one over the last 5 years or so.

For perspective, we might help compose an article on 'the team's best passer'--and that's also this year, on the numbers--win % 100 vs. a measly 88, completion % 85 vs. 73, Y/A 9.6 vs. 8.9, and of course TD/Int ratio of, for Murray 17/7 vs. McCoy's fraction = infinity! All reflected in McCoy's highly superior QB rating of 119 vs. 110.

Better hurry, though, before next week fouls the whole story up. [But I don't mean disrespect to Scott, here--he's paid to puff up the focus of his story, neglecting almost everything else.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Best past rusher is talking about this season's best pass rusher, not their career stats.

As you point off going by the stats Golden has been clearly the best this season, so I don't really understand why you are pissed.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marcus Golden…I wanted to keep Reddick. Too many times I watch Golden bite on play action as he abandoned his contain assignment. But he has changed all that.

This guy bleeds Cardinal red. He is truly the definition of junkyard dog.
Not sure how you can say that. He did leave for more money only to come back.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how you can say that. He did leave for more money only to come back.
He basically said in his interview that it was the biggest mistake ever leaving. That he is right where he wants to be and he even took less money to stay this time. I think he bleeds red regardless of chasing the money last time.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He basically said in his interview that it was the biggest mistake ever leaving. That he is right where he wants to be and he even took less money to stay this time. I think he bleeds red regardless of chasing the money last time.

Sure, admitting that it was a mistake is good and all that. If you leave to make more money, how can you 'bleed red?' What he did before is pretty much the opposite.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, admitting that it was a mistake is good and all that. If you leave to make more money, how can you 'bleed red?' What he did before is pretty much the opposite.
Sometimes it takes leaving to truly appreciate what you had. I don’t think it lessens his love of the big red. :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it takes leaving to truly appreciate what you had. I don’t think it lessens his love of the big red. :)
Agree to disagree. :)