Don't Fall For It!

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Dbacks are either unwilling or unable to do anything to make this team better. IMO they knew this months ago and are in a financially conservative wait and see mode.

They've tried to get us all excited with these new unis and pathetic lowball offers to big name free agents but I'm not falling for it. THERE IS NOTHING TO BE EXCITED ABOUT!

Sure they have a lot of potentially talented young players but none of them are going to help win this year. The Dbacks are content to sit and wait which is fine but I'm not going to get excited about it.

As much as I'd like to be I am not excited about this team.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
The Dbacks are either unwilling or unable to do anything to make this team better. IMO they knew this months ago and are in a financially conservative wait and see mode.

They've tried to get us all excited with these new unis and pathetic lowball offers to big name free agents but I'm not falling for it. THERE IS NOTHING TO BE EXCITED ABOUT!

Sure they have a lot of potentially talented young players but none of them are going to help win this year. The Dbacks are content to sit and wait which is fine but I'm not going to get excited about it.

As much as I'd like to be I am not excited about this team.
The young guys are worth getting excited about. They are the real deal and should be entertaining to watch this upcoming year. They may not be a world series caliber team but they will surprise some people.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The young guys are worth getting excited about. They are the real deal and should be entertaining to watch this upcoming year. They may not be a world series caliber team but they will surprise some people.

I agree with the position player analysis, if only we could get pitching to go along with them we would be pretty tough next year.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I think they will make some noise next offseason. If anyone is added to the staff it will be through trade. Too bad we couldn't pick up Mcarthy from Chicago.

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I think they will make some noise next offseason. If anyone is added to the staff it will be through trade. Too bad we couldn't pick up Mcarthy from Chicago.

To compete even in the lousy west they're going to have to make at least one major move. This would probably involve trading 2 top prospects for a top starter. I don't think they're ready to make that kind of move.

Right now we're looking at a 75 win club.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
To compete even in the lousy west they're going to have to make at least one major move. This would probably involve trading 2 top prospects for a top starter. I don't think they're ready to make that kind of move.

Right now we're looking at a 75 win club.
Love the optimism. Why wouldn't they be willing to trade two prospects? I could see them dealing an Alberto Callaspo and a Chris Carter to an American League team such as an Oakland or Anaheim for a young starter. Honestly the pitching staff isn't that bad. My main concern is the bullpen and closer spot. If you look at Hernandez, Webb and Davis they are very very solid.
Look at lease stats:
Doug Davis: LH, 103 ST, 34-34, 3 CG, 633.1 IP, 274 BB, 533 K, 4.04 ERA, .249 OBA, 63 Quality Starts.

Barry Zito: LH, 103 ST, 41-34, 0 CG, 662.1 IP, 269 BB, 485 K, 4.05 ERA, .247 OBA, 57 Quality Starts.
I think Eveland will turn out to be a surprise to help round out the rotation too. Overall I don't think they need to add a big time starter just another arm and some bullpen help.

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Love the optimism. Why wouldn't they be willing to trade two prospects? I could see them dealing an Alberto Callaspo and a Chris Carter to an American League team such as an Oakland or Anaheim for a young starter. Honestly the pitching staff isn't that bad. My main concern is the bullpen and closer spot. If you look at Hernandez, Webb and Davis they are very very solid.
Look at lease stats:
Doug Davis: LH, 103 ST, 34-34, 3 CG, 633.1 IP, 274 BB, 533 K, 4.04 ERA, .249 OBA, 63 Quality Starts.

Barry Zito: LH, 103 ST, 41-34, 0 CG, 662.1 IP, 269 BB, 485 K, 4.05 ERA, .247 OBA, 57 Quality Starts.
I think Eveland will turn out to be a surprise to help round out the rotation too. Overall I don't think they need to add a big time starter just another arm and some bullpen help.

I wouldn't even mind trading one of the top prospects for a legit #2 starter. I just wonder if the Dbacks are willing.To get a #2 starter we'd have to give the other team the pick of our farm system.

Just think of the Vasquez trade. We got the Sox TOP prospect.

It still might happen in the spring but I get the feeling that the Dbacks don't want to do anything big this year. Aren't they still paying off some old contracts?

What makes me mad is that they told us last year that they would spend some cash this year. That is how they sold us on some of last years salry dumps. Now they're at it again.

If they're gonna play the small market game just say so.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I wouldn't even mind trading one of the top prospects for a legit #2 starter. I just wonder if the Dbacks are willing.To get a #2 starter we'd have to give the other team the pick of our farm system.

Just think of the Vasquez trade. We got the Sox TOP prospect.

It still might happen in the spring but I get the feeling that the Dbacks don't want to do anything big this year. Aren't they still paying off some old contracts?

What makes me mad is that they told us last year that they would spend some cash this year. That is how they sold us on some of last years salry dumps. Now they're at it again.

If they're gonna play the small market game just say so.
Well they have come out and explained that they are still paying off guys like Bernard Gilkey because of differed payments and they are paying something in excess of $30M per year on that. Supposedly they are going to be able to raise the pay roll significantly in the next 3 years.

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Overall I don't think they need to add a big time starter just another arm and some bullpen help.

To contend you need TWO big time starters. Webb is awesome but there isn't a legit #2 among the others.

You're right the staff isn't horrible but we also need a big bat. Lack of a clutch RBI guy killed us as much as anything last year. Byrnes was probably our best power guy and he had 79 RBI's.

WE HAVE NO POWER AT THE CORNERS!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Well they have come out and explained that they are still paying off guys like Bernard Gilkey because of differed payments and they are paying something in excess of $30M per year on that. Supposedly they are going to be able to raise the pay roll significantly in the next 3 years.

But don't you think we were led to believe that last year was the end of that mess?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
To contend you need TWO big time starters. Webb is awesome but there isn't a legit #2 among the others.

You're right the staff isn't horrible but we also need a big bat. Lack of a clutch RBI guy killed us as much as anything last year. Byrnes was probably our best power guy and he had 79 RBI's.

Who were StL's two big time starters? Carpenter is one, but who was the other?

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score

I agree that there needs to be another bat but who are you going to add at a decent price? I think that the power is going to have to come from the young bats such as Quentin, Tracy and Young.

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I agree that there needs to be another bat but who are you going to add at a decent price? I think that the power is going to have to come from the young bats such as Quentin, Tracy and Young.

Maybe Quentin but Tracy has not shown that much and Young isn't even close. I notice you didn't even mention old Jack Cust er Cojack over at first?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tracy hitting .308 with 27 homers two years ago and .281 with 20 homers last year hasn't shown much? Oh, and let me know when Jack Cust hits .291 in a season.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Maybe Quentin but Tracy has not shown that much and Young isn't even close. I notice you didn't even mention old Jack Cust er Cojack over at first?

I think that the lack of success for Tracy and CoJack comes from misuse by good old BoMel. I think Young could easily hit 20HR's next year if used right also. Also Tracy did have a career high in RBI's last year and is one year removed from a 27 HR season. The lineup has potential but its a matter of them reaching it and BoMel putting them in situations to succeed which is a huge question mark. Plus didn't we win a world series with a 1B who didn't hit many homeruns but hit for average? CoJack has one of the most pure strokes I've seen.

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Tracy hitting .308 with 27 homers two years ago and .281 with 20 homers last year hasn't shown much? Oh, and let me know when Jack Cust hits .291 in a season.

But don't you think 80 rbis is a little weak for a third baseman?

His numbers aren't that much worse than say Scott Rolen but we don't have Pujols across the diamond either. Tracy would be fine if we had a big RBI guy somewhere else?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But don't you think 80 rbis is a little weak for a third baseman?

His numbers aren't that much worse than say Scott Rolen but we don't have Pujols across the diamond either. Tracy would be fine if we had a big RBI guy somewhere else?
Oh absolutely we can use another power hitter and surround him with the likes of Tracy and Jackson, but considering how marginal guys like Gary Matthews is all of a sudden worth $50M, it looks like we are going to have to grow our own. But the point is with what we have seen from Tracy and Jackson in their first few seasons, their development is on track.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Matt Williams outside of 1994 never hit more than 35 HR's in a season and in his time with the Dbacks he only had one season over 75 RBI.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
We have the help pitching wise though. We have Hernandez and we have Davis. They will provide a lot of help and innings.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
At $14-$15 million a year? No thanks.

Also, to say Arizona doesn't have that defined #2 pitcher is a bit far fetched considering they have a guy by the name of Hernandez who has pretty much been a staff ace his entire career, who has a World Series ring and who eats innings like Russ Ortiz chows down pancakes at the local IHOP.

Granted, he's no Johan Santana, but Arizona could do a hell of a lot worse with their #2 pitcher.

Also, would I like to see Arizona go out and get that bg time bat? Sure, but at what expense? This season, the lack of available bats was apparent, and sorry to say, spending $136 million for Soriano or $75 million for JD Drew wasn't something I wished to see Arizona do.

Maybe they could still get Aubrey Huff to play one of the corner OF positions, but in actuality the chances are, the team you see now will be the one you get come Opening Day.

Just remember, the great teams weren't built overnight. This team won't be either, and it may be a few more years of medocrity, but when they click, I see them being one of the top teams in MLB. Maybe that's blind optimism, but I really do forsee this.