Don't Rule Out Quentin Groves at #16

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Even though he is not projected to go in the middle of round 1, there are some scouts who feel that Groves is the most sudden pass rusher out of a two point stance in this draft...and he was much more productive at Auburn when they moved him to OLB and lined him up in a two-point stance.

Rod Graves said in his presser that he was concerned about the age of the pass rushers (Okeafor, Berry, Haggans)...

Don't forget that Groves, at his size 6-3 1/4, 248...has 4.42 speed. He can spend the year as a nickel rusher and step in as a starter the folowing year.

The Cards did well drafting Dansby, another Auburn Tiger. Groves fits the bill and should garner all kinds of consideration.

The name we keep hearing is Derrick Harvey...but I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards have Groves rated higher.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though he is not projected to go in the middle of round 1, there are some scouts who feel that Groves is the most sudden pass rusher out of a two point stance in this draft...and he was much more productive at Auburn when they moved him to OLB and lined him up in a two-point stance.

Rod Graves said in his presser that he was concerned about the age of the pass rushers (Okeafor, Berry, Haggans)...

Don't forget that Groves, at his size 6-3 1/4, 248...has 4.42 speed. He can spend the year as a nickel rusher and step in as a starter the folowing year.

The Cards did well drafting Dansby, another Auburn Tiger. Groves fits the bill and should garner all kinds of consideration.

The name we keep hearing is Derrick Harvey...but I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards have Groves rated higher.

I would not be upset with his selection.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

He very much did not say this. He very much said the opposite. He said that the players returning from injury will do much to aid the pass rush that faltered as the season wore on.

I'm not sure that there's much difference between Groves and Travis LaBoy.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch, Groves would be a major risk at #16. Have your forgot the following information that came out recently:

"Auburn DE Quentin Groves, a late-first round prospect for the 2008 draft, has reportedly sent a letter to all NFL teams indicating that underwent heart surgery on late last month. Groves suffers a syndrome called Wolff-Parkinson-White, an abnormality in the heart's electrical system that can cause rapid heart beats. According to Groves’ letter the condition has been identified and the problem alleviated. Needless to say, team’s are re-evaluating Groves’ draft grade in light of this new information, however, at least for now many haven’t dropped him from their draft board’s entirely."

I think he will drop for sure but could be a bargain in round two.

Last edited:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He very much did not say this. He very much said the opposite. He said that the players returning from injury will do much to aid the pass rush that faltered as the season wore on.

I'm not sure that there's much difference between Groves and Travis LaBoy.

I think this is what Mitch was referring to:

DaisyCutter said:
Whis: Keith Rivers can play inside or outside, depending on your scheme. He works on the game, which is a quality you'd like to see. In our scheme, he could play either inside position or on the outside.

Whis: There's not a team in the league that's 100% not needing pass rushers. Graves has given us great depth, and we'll be in a position to put pressure on the quarterback. We wore down a little bit last season, and that limited our ability to put pressure on the quarterback. You can never have too many pass rushers.

Graves: We have a number of players who have been productive for us in the past that have been limited by injuries. WE don't want to be limited because we're coming off an injury or we're aging in an area. Can't have enough pass rushers.

We share the opinion that you have to be strong up front.

... technical difficulties... sorry.

I kind of read it the same way Mitch did.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think this is what Mitch was referring to:

I kind of read it the same way Mitch did.

Then I misplaced the context. He said that they did not want to be limited to taking a particular position (namely a pass rusher), because he wanted it clear that there were players coming off of injury (Berry and Okeafor) and that their ages were not a concern for the team.

The implication seemed to be that if Derrick Harvey were available he might be too good to pass up, but the team felt that with Okeafor and Berry coming back, as well as adding LaBoy, the team wouldn't be forced into drafting a pass rusher early in the draft.

Urban's blog post on the subject is equally Delphic:

Graves said the Cards will be "open-minded" to address positions where players are coming off injury or aging. Later, Whisenhunt said the team would look at adding pass rushers despite all the end/linebackers already on the roster. "I don't think you can ever have too many of them," Whisenhunt said. With guys like Bertrand Berry and Chike Okeafor both falling into the aging/injury category, it's no surprise.

To me, it seems like the Cards invested money at a position where they're going to be hard pressed to make room on the roster. If Harvey's there at 16, or if Groves was there at 50, I think they're leaving the door open, but it didn't sound like it was a draft priority.

Stins

Rookie
Reaction score
I really liked Goves at the start of the draft evaluation because of his speed off the edge, but would rather draft Stewart or Mendenhall at this point. Too many underclassmen have declared this year leaving the well dry for the 2009 draft. After taking the running back, I like Cliff Avril in the second or third. He has no medical problems and has the same size and speed as Groves. Purdue Defensive ends/OLBs have fared extremely well in the past and I believe that Avril will continue the trend.

Looking at several mock drafts from the so called experts, the Cards can get Avril in the third round, allowing a corner to be taken in the 2nd.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I really liked Goves at the start of the draft evaluation because of his speed off the edge, but would rather draft Stewart or Mendenhall at this point. Too many underclassmen have declared this year leaving the well dry for the 2009 draft. After taking the running back, I like Cliff Avril in the second or third. He has no medical problems and has the same size and speed as Groves. Purdue Defensive ends/OLBs have fared extremely well in the past and I believe that Avril will continue the trend.

Looking at several mock drafts from the so called experts, the Cards can get Avril in the third round, allowing a corner to be taken in the 2nd.

Avrils' right around the #50 prospect this year. Right where we draft 2nd.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then I misplaced the context. He said that they did not want to be limited to taking a particular position (namely a pass rusher), because he wanted it clear that there were players coming off of injury (Berry and Okeafor) and that their ages were not a concern for the team.

The implication seemed to be that if Derrick Harvey were available he might be too good to pass up, but the team felt that with Okeafor and Berry coming back, as well as adding LaBoy, the team wouldn't be forced into drafting a pass rusher early in the draft.

Urban's blog post on the subject is equally Delphic:

To me, it seems like the Cards invested money at a position where they're going to be hard pressed to make room on the roster. If Harvey's there at 16, or if Groves was there at 50, I think they're leaving the door open, but it didn't sound like it was a draft priority.

Not a problem DC. Truthfully, I'm glad the Cards feel that way. I'd much rather have them take BPA rather than drafting for need.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Here's the exact wording from Graves thanks to Jim O's fantastic transcript...

On whether they have discussed taking a quarterback, maybe on the second day:
(RG): “We have talked about taking a position of leaving all options open. As coach said, our main interest with our football team, obviously we have some concerns at a couple of spots, but depth is important. The same approach we are taking at the defensive end spot—about where we are with depth, our age at certain positions and so-forth—if there is a certain player there that warrants us making the selection, we will do it. The quarterback position is not void of that.”

And another section:

On whether the team still needs pass rushers having signed a few in free agency:

(KW): “I don‟t think there is a team in the league that wouldn‟t like to have as many pass rushers as they could have. One of the biggest things you want to do is put pressure on the quarterback. That makes it a lot easier for your defensive backs to cover their guys. We feel very good about the additions that we have made (in free agency). I think Rod and his staff did a great job of working with Travis LaBoy, with Clark Haggans and with Bryan Robinson—giving us great depth and great competition at these positions and allowing us to put more pressure on the quarterback. Last year, as the season progressed, we wore down a little bit and we had some injuries to some guys and it limited our ability to put pressure on the quarterback. That puts a lot more pressure on your secondary or the back end of your defensive coverage. So I don‟t think you can ever have too many (pass rushers) and you are always looking to find those guys.”

(RG): “The thing that I would add to that is that we have a couple of players who have been very productive for us in the past, who are coming off of injuries. I think we have to be open minded as we go into this draft, to be willing to address issues or positions that we know where we are coming off of injury or we may be aging in that area. We will just evaluate those as the names are on the board. As coach said, you can‟t have enough of those guys and both of us come from backgrounds where, and coach might take exception to this, but I think defense wins championships. But I think we share the opinion that you have to be strong up front and anytime we can add to that, we will take a look at it.”

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I can't see him at 16. Too early for his draft rating and add injury concerns and he may be there at 50.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rod Graves compared playing with one kidney to playing with one eye. I'm thinking that he has a similarly gimlet eye when it comes to heart conditions.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I like Groves quite a bit. But, I think the moves they made in free agency makes a pick on the front 7 unlikely.

BigShtank

The heat dun frieded my brain
Reaction score
me too...16 is too early, plus the guy was arrested twice, 1st time put on probation for for driving with a suspended license and without insurance, and then again for a domestic dispute

:yeahthat: We're not the Bengals. Ruling him out now.