Dontrelle Willis Arrested on DUI Charge

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dontrelle Willis Arrested on DUI Charge
- By MICHELLE SPITZER, Associated Press Writer
Friday, December 22, 2006

(12-22) 04:57 PST MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) --

Florida Marlins pitcher Dontrelle Willis was arrested early Friday on suspicion of drunken driving, police said.

An officer saw the star get out of his black Bentley around 4:30 a.m. and urinate in the street, police spokesman Bobby Hernandez said. The officer then approached him, noticed signs of intoxication and arrested him, Hernandez said.

Willis, 24, refused a breath test at a police station and was being transported to Miami-Dade County jail, Hernandez said.

Marlins spokesman P.J. Loyello declined comment. Willis' agent, Matt Sosnick, and jail officials did not return phone messages seeking comment.

Willis finished last season 12-12 with a 3.87 ERA in 223 1/3 innings. The year before, he led the major leagues with 22 wins. He was the National League rookie of the year in 2003, the same year the Marlins beat the New York Yankees in the World Series.

URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/n/a/2006/12/22/sports/s045101S46.DTL

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
sad to hear - but a young guy making a stupid mistake - here's hoping he doesn't make it a pattern

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Oh this is very upsetting to me - Of all pro athletes i can tell you Dontrelle is one of the most contrite, committed, and humble human beings out there. He made a mistake but this isn't the same as Chris Henry making a mistake.

Poor kid. Hopefully this will get him traded to Arizona where we can reap the benefits of what would be a trigger happy move by the Marlins.....

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dude, trade in the Bentley and get a sweat assed limo with a stuck up obnoxious British driver! Then you never have to worry about the law again, unless your driver gets plowed

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loser. Absolutely no excuse to be behind the wheel. Just glad he didn't kill anyone ala Leonard Little. :doi:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
bit of a difference here - little killed someone .............. then did it again

i'm willing to chalk this one up to experience - we've all done stupid things, doesn't make us bad and from what dontrelle does for the community the last thing I would label him as is a loser

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
bit of a difference here - little killed someone .............. then did it again

i'm willing to chalk this one up to experience - we've all done stupid things, doesn't make us bad and from what dontrelle does for the community the last thing I would label him as is a loser

I agree. He doesn't have a history of this kind of stuff, but that is not an excuse for this huge mistake. Hopefully he learns his lesson after severe punishment.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

On that night/morning he was clearly a loser, unless you're a big fan of drinking and driving. To most people it is a serious issue that goes beyond "Well shucks, that was stupid."

The fact that he's a swell guy most of the time and helps out with charities, etc does not excuse his carelessness.

When will these millionaires be responsible enough to hire a driver if they're going out to get loaded? :shrug:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I never understand when your as rich as he is get a freaking driver to drive you somewhere or atleast take the taxi back from the club when you've had to much to drink...

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
definitely not saying it's an excuse - most people do dumb stuff - i'm sure everyone in here has done something seriously stupid -at that moment in time you weren't a great person

doesn't make you on the whole a bad person though

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
doesn't make you on the whole a bad person though
Public figures have a responsibility . . . to be responsible.

It's a small price for incomes in the millions of dollars.

Especially ballplayers. People who get paid those obscene amounts for doing what thousands of people do locally for fun. Throw and hit.

Yes, I know a ballplayer's career is relatively short. But no one is paying me millions (ouch) to be as skillful in my job as they are in theirs.

While really important people (such as school teachers) can hardly make ends meet.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Public figures have a responsibility . . . to be responsible.

It's a small price for incomes in the millions of dollars.

:stupid:

There's no excuse for drinking and driving.

It shows no concern for your life or the life of others. To me, at least, that goes beyond "doing something stupid."

When part of your job description is "being a role model" (whether you like it or not) it's especially glaring when you get liquored up and hop behind the wheel (and then get out of your car and urinate in a street).

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Willis issues first statement on arrest

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

MIAMI --

Last Friday, Marlins pitcher Dontrelle Willis was charged with DUI after being arrested around 4 a.m. ET near a South Beach nightclub.
On Tuesday, the 24-year-old left-handed ace of the Marlins issued his first public comments.

In a statement released by his attorneys, Willis said: "Related to the incident on December 22, 2006, I want to thank everyone involved for their support and encouragement. Concerning the specifics of the evening, I acknowledge the seriousness of the situation and I understand that there is a legal process that needs to be followed. As I respect this process, the police and those involved, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time. Thank you again for understanding my position and for your continued support."

Willis is being represented by attorneys Walter A. Reynoso and Robert S. Reiff.

The Marlins have not made any comments on the incident.

One of the most popular young players in the game, Willis posted a 12-12 record with a 3.87 ERA in 2006. His 58 career victories already are a Marlins record.

Prior to his DUI incident, Willis had an impeccable public image. The left-hander who grew up in Alameda, Calif., is a fan favorite for his play on the field and his numerous charitable contributions off.

Since being called up by the Marlins in 2003, Willis has been active in the promotion of sandlot baseball in inner-city Miami. Before Thanksgiving, he took part in a turkey distribution function in the Miami area.

The past few years, the D-Train has made South Florida his home in the offseason.

Willis is a two-time All-Star, and in 2005, he led all Major League pitchers with 22 wins. In 2003, he was named the National League Rookie of the Year.

---------------------------------------------------

I hope the guy gets some help and is able to keep his life straight from here on out. And again - I'm glad he didn't kill himself or anyone else by his decision to drink and drive.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22