Draft City: Diogu abuses Taft

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Taft has decided to take his show on the road. The latest stop was Golden State yesterday, for an intimate meeting with Ike Diogu. The results according to a person that was in the gym, were not pretty to watch. Basically, Diogu scored on Taft repeatedly....again and again and again until things just started to get embarrassing. On the opposite side of the ball, Diogu stopped Taft in his tracks repeatedly and just thoroughly handed it to him. Things got so bad and Taft got so down on himself (again in the opinion of the eyewitness) that people thought he would just quit the workout.

http://www.draftcity.com/viewarticle.php?a=191

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I would not be disappointed at all if we got Ike, he can do everythng, and can run the court. He would be very effective defensively against most power forwards, and he is good a blocking shots from the weak side.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
DRAFT IKE!

Its getting ot he point where I wonder if we'll even be able to. There are a lot of teams ahead of us that are going to have him in for workouts

Having said all that though, if he's there take him

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Its getting ot he point where I wonder if we'll even be able to. There are a lot of teams ahead of us that are going to have him in for workouts

Having said all that though, if he's there take him

please dont crush my hopes like that.... :(

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Ike Diogu will be the steal of the draft.

Well, maybe. By the time all the workouts have been complete, I'm sure the GM's will know exactly who Ike Diogu is. And, he won't be on the board very long.

He would be an absolute perfect fit for the Suns.

Reaction score
Scouts love wingspan and height. Ike was in our range before measurements.
He just dropped well below our pick, considering his good workouts and longer-than-expected shooting range.

The comparison from another thread to O. Miller's frame is a good one (although Miller's wingspan was 7'6"). I would love to see an NBA player with that body type and a real work ethic. If there is any way to get him and keep our core I'd be all for it.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
please dont crush my hopes like that.... :(

Lets leave it this way ... if there is one team that convince others to pick crap so we can get our guy it would be the Suns FO. Lets hope for another Jared Jeffries type hype spree by the Suns to get him to fall.

Trust me I want him here. He's a good fit and a helluva player that didn't get much attention because he played on the West Coast and on a piss poor team (he was double and triple teamed on a regular basis).

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Lets leave it this way ... if there is one team that convince others to pick crap so we can get our guy it would be the Suns FO. Lets hope for another Jared Jeffries type hype spree by the Suns to get him to fall.

Trust me I want him here. He's a good fit and a helluva player that didn't get much attention because he played on the West Coast and on a piss poor team (he was double and triple teamed on a regular basis).

Jared Jeffries was taken after Amare Stoudemire.

Joe

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Jared Jeffries was taken after Amare Stoudemire.

Joe

I know but we have hyped up players like Jeffries to distract other teams from who we really wanted. In the case of that year Stoudemire.

For some reason when the Suns FO office hypes someone, all other teams take notice

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
For some reason when the Suns FO office hypes someone, all other teams take notice

They take notice and think the Suns will go after him, they don't put him higher on the boards.

Amare wasn't THAT sneaky of a fall, both Orlando and Portland wanted him bad. The reason he wasn't picked up earlier had a lot to do with him not working out with anyone after the Suns because of a "bad shoulder".

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
They take notice and think the Suns will go after him, they don't put him higher on the boards.

Amare wasn't THAT sneaky of a fall, both Orlando and Portland wanted him bad. The reason he wasn't picked up earlier had a lot to do with him not working out with anyone after the Suns because of a "bad shoulder".

Well fine then my example sucked. You still get my point though

You guys are no fun :p

cly2tw

Reaction score
Somehow, Taft and Radolph Morris sound like they can play the defensive-minded yet athletic center alongside Amare if they pan out. I'd take that risk.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Taft's problem right now, is he's not a go to scorer and is like a better scorer inside than Steven Hunter but I wouldn't use him to post up much... the thing I worry about is having a problem defending Ike, because he should've at least slowed him down.

Ike is made for workouts, Joe Mama has been calling it for months and now that Ike measured a shade under 6'9 and a wingspan at 7'4? - the Suns probably don't have a shot, he'll be in the Lottery if reports were accurate. Probably contending with Frye for the PF spot in Mid-Lottery and with Ike's offensive punch, he could move past Frye that fast LOL. Hopefully the whole Diogu/Frye arguements stop, now that both are in Lottery contention... both moved up quick.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

The fact that the year before like 4 HS players were taken in the first 10 and all of them sucked thier first year didn't help Amare either.

fordronken

Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:

Saying Portland was interested in going after an untested raw prospect with a checkered past isn't exactly headline news.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
fordronken said:
Saying Portland was interested in going after an untested raw prospect with a checkered past isn't exactly headline news.

True - but they did make a very legitimate run at getting the Clippers #8 pick in order to leapfrog the suns. The Suns were looking at Cleveland's #6 in an effort to beat out portland.

Orlando wanted to get into the mix bad, but had nothing to offer.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I remember a few years ago a guy named Kwame Brown destroyed a guy named Tyson Chandler up one on one in a workout. And who would you rather have now.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I remember a few years ago a guy named Kwame Brown destroyed a guy named Tyson Chandler up one on one in a workout. And who would you rather have now.

Ike is the antithesis to Kwame Brown. Brown's problem was never ability. As far as that goes, neither was Chandler's. Honestly, I'd go with Ike over the both of those guys, because at least I'd have a good idea what kind of effort I'll get over the course of a long-term contract.

Bad comparison.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Ike is the antithesis to Kwame Brown. Brown's problem was never ability. As far as that goes, neither was Chandler's. Honestly, I'd go with Ike over the both of those guys, because at least I'd have a good idea what kind of effort I'll get over the course of a long-term contract.

Bad comparison.

Thank Goodness you're not an NBA GM, passing on 7 footers with that much ability for a 6'4 PF.

I would still take Chandler. He's a good shot blocker and rebounder and is very athletic. Put 15-20 LBs on him and he's just the player we need.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Thank Goodness you're not an NBA GM, passing on 7 footers with that much ability for a 6'4 PF.

I would still take Chandler. He's a good shot blocker and rebounder and is very athletic. Put 15-20 LBs on him and he's just the player we need.
ike is 6'7" in socks with a 7'4" wingspan and hes built like a tank. no to mention he has 3pt range. could be a great guy to help on D with out cloggin the key for amare on the other end.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
JPlay said:

I like Chandler a lot, and would take him over Ike - with some serious worries about injuries. He has Camby written all over him.

Ike is not 6'4 though, he latest measurements put him at an NBA listing of around 6'9. He also has the wingspan of a 7 footer.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Read in middle where Tafts agent talks about Diogu.

You must be registered for see images

Agent still expects Taft to be lottery pick

By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, June 6, 2005

Amid reports that Chris Taft's draft stock is dropping faster than a pebble from the Empire State Building, Taft's agent rose to his defense.

"Like I told one GM, 'you're going to have a hard time convincing me that if you're looking for a power forward in this draft, there's one who can make the immediate impact of Chris, based on physical make-up and ability,' " said New York-based agent Billy Ceisler, who also represents Chicago Bulls star Ben Gordon, among others. "And as far as potential, he's probably 10 percent of the player he could be."

The 6-foot-10, 250-pound Taft left Pitt after an underachieving sophomore season and was widely believed to be a sure-fire lottery pick, meaning he would be selected among the top 14 in the NBA Draft on June 28.

However, recent reports have cast doubt on Taft's lottery prospects. The reports -- some based on first-hand observation, some citing NBA team personnel -- claim that Taft's individual workouts in New York and group workouts for various teams were undistinguished, at best.

"There's a good chance Taft will be sliding down to the bottom of the first round and maybe even out of it, according to one NBA director of player personnel who claims his team has Taft ranked as the 10th-best power forward in the draft," wrote ESPN.com draft insider Chad Ford, who still has Taft pegged to go eighth overall to the New York Knicks.

After Taft's recent workout in Toronto, the Globe and Mail asked Raptors general manager Rob Babcock about Taft's desire.

"That's the toughest thing to measure," said Babcock, whose team picks seventh. "Even the mind's easier to measure than the heart. It's very difficult."

Babcock added, "I think Chris is still very raw, and he would certainly be better served by going back to school."

That can't happen, because Taft, 20, has an agent. Ceisler admitted Taft's workout in Toronto was below par, but said it also was Taft's first NBA audition.

"It was like a first job interview," said Ceisler, who still expects Taft to be a lottery pick.

The agent claims Taft has turned in three consecutive "lights-out" workouts, for the Golden State Warriors, the Los Angeles Clippers and the Boston Celtics.

"With the Clippers, Chris dominated (Final Four MVP) Sean May in every facet of the game," Ceisler said.

NBA teams are permitted to work out prospects for 1 1/2 hours, Ceisler said. Some teams emphasize individual skills, others stress one-on-one and two-on-two matchups. No more than four players can take the floor simultaneously.

Ceisler said the two-on-two games cater to Taft's abilities, while the individual-skills workouts -- which most teams favor -- don't.

Taft is expected to work out for several more teams before the draft, including non-lottery teams. Ford, on ESPN.com, said this represents a shift in Ceisler's approach, because Taft originally was going to work out only for teams in the lottery.

Ceisler said he merely is covering his bases, and that Taft always was going to work out for non-lottery teams in case one moves up.

Draftcity.com, a popular Web site, quoted a source as saying Arizona State's 6-foot-8 Ike Diogu dominated Taft at a workout for Golden State. The Web site's manager, Jonathan Givony, posted an interview with Diogu and asked Diogu whether he "took (Taft) to school."

Diogu's response: "(Laughs) Wow. You know, I don't really have any comment on that."

Ceisler said Taft, in fact, dominated the matchup.

Everyone seems to agree that Taft's performance last season at Pitt didn't help him. He averaged 13.3 points and 7.5 rebounds per game and on occasion rode the bench during key stretches. He was fourth on the team in minutes per game.

"He struggled the whole year to find his way," Ceisler said. "They all struggled to get him involved more. I mean, he was ranked in the top five, maybe the top pick, and he averaged only eight shots a game (actually, 9.5)."

Ceisler will be surprised if Taft isn't a lottery pick but says it might not be a bad thing to go 15th -- one spot out of the lottery -- to New Jersey. "You'd have one of the best point guards (Jason Kidd) and two other guys (Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson) who will be double-teamed," Ceisler said. "The (power forward) will get a lot of easy dunks and good looks. So, if somebody said, 'You weren't in the lottery,' I'd say, 'Hey, I wasn't a lottery pick, but I might have a better chance to win Rookie of the Year.' "
--

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan