Draft: This team needs to draft a true center.

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
Start grooming some young CENTERS for the future. I'm in Oklahoma and Blake Griffin here is a monster Power Forward/Center as far as Rebounding and getting to the rim. Also a great shot blocker. He'd fit beautifully in Phoenix system.. but I hope this shows Dantoni how much it helps his running style to have a big man under that rim.

The main reason are the easy put backs. Before this trade the Sun's were constantly getting killed by easy tip in's and put back's and drives. Now with a true center out there that's all gone. The oponnents have to score from the peremiter for the most part.

After a while it might be the Sun's getting the put-back shots. But they gotta start drafting and signing true centers.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I agree. Hopefully the ATL pick falls between 6-12 and the Suns can grab a center.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
"Project" centers almost never pan out. That's why teams are usually better off avoiding them. Any center with real potential will go with one of the top few picks. The number of impact centers drafted outside the top five in the last 20 years can probably be counted on one hand.

HooverDam

Reaction score
^Exactly.

Its never a good idea to draft for need at a big position in the NBA when there are better players available.

The Suns need a PG of the future, Center of the future, and Small forward of the future, so really they ought to just get whoever the best player available is at their pick.

EDIT: I just noticed that most of the draft sites have Chase Budinger going in the lottery. Lets hope he either stays at UA or the Suns (Kerr/Sarver) aren't tempted to take him, he's look awful this year. At one point (last year) I thought maybe he'd be a nice fit for the Suns, but this year he may be showing his true colors.

Last edited:

Sunsei

Reaction score
"Project" centers almost never pan out. That's why teams are usually better off avoiding them. Any center with real potential will go with one of the top few picks. The number of impact centers drafted outside the top five in the last 20 years can probably be counted on one hand.

Very true.
The Sonics are a good and recent example of that. They grabbed Swift (12th), Petro (25th) and Sene (10th) from the 2004 to 2006 drafts, just because they were looking for legit 7-footers, and they missed out on some better prospects because of that.

The only one starting to pan out is Petro, and he could be a decent backup at center for us next year. He's been playing solid basketball the last 2 months behind KT, and will now probably start until the end of the season.
He runs the floor very well, and can defend the basket with his shotblocking ability even though his man to man defense can probably use some improvement (he fouls too much). He has an above average rebound rate.
On the offensive end, his qualities are facing the basket and shooting the midrange jumpshot. He has virtually no back to the basket moves, though, except some rare hookshots.

It's his 3rd year in the league but he's only 22, and he's pretty much never been injured as far as I can remember. He would be a good fit here I believe.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
kevin love looks to fall in our range, hes not a center but hes a big body thats a great rebounder and a good outlet passer. I think he would fit in nice w/us..

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^Exactly.

Its never a good idea to draft for need at a big position in the NBA when there are better players available.

The Suns need a PG of the future, Center of the future, and Small forward of the future, so really they ought to just get whoever the best player available is at their pick.

EDIT: I just noticed that most of the draft sites have Chase Budinger going in the lottery. Lets hope he either stays at UA or the Suns (Kerr/Sarver) aren't tempted to take him, he's look awful this year. At one point (last year) I thought maybe he'd be a nice fit for the Suns, but this year he may be showing his true colors.

I agree BPA. It would be extra sweet if a nice PG were available.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think guys like Hasheem Thabeet are now much more of a possibility to draft. I'd actually like it.

Although I don't really like the Lopez twins because I think they will be headcases, I don't like Hibberts potential and toughness, I don't like Loves size, athleticism and soft defense, DeAndre Jordan has too much potential to drop out of the top 10 I think,

Last edited:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
DeAndre and Thabeet are my two choices if you dont go for a point guard. Thabeet just seems to be made for the suns.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
kevin love looks to fall in our range, hes not a center but hes a big body thats a great rebounder and a good outlet passer. I think he would fit in nice w/us..

sorry. BARF!

that's all i have to say to kevin love.