Durazo released by the Rangers

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- The Rangers have released first baseman/designated hitter Erubiel Durazo and placed pitcher John Wasdin on waivers, a move that could open a spot on the Opening Day roster for Rule 5 draft pick Fabio Castro.
Wasdin was a candidate to be the Rangers' long reliever but had a 10.64 ERA in 11 innings, allowing 23 hits and three walks. With Wasdin out of the picture, the Rangers are strongly leaning toward keeping Castro, a 21-year-old left-hander who has never pitched past Class A, but has impressed with his talent and potential.

Castro would have to stay on the Major League roster all season or be offered back to the Chicago White Sox.

Club officials would not comment on Wasdin being placed on outright waivers. But what that means is that other clubs could claim him and put him on the Major League roster.

If he clear waivers, the Rangers would likely release him and then try to re-sign him to a Minor League contract. Wasdin was 3-2 with a 4.28 ERA for the Rangers last year.

Durazo was a last-minute addition to the Rangers' Spring Training roster as a possible alternative at designated hitter to Phil Nevin. But the Rangers have become satisfied that Nevin can fill the DH role, despite hitting just .229 this spring. Nevin has four home runs and 10 RBIs.

"Between Nevin and David Dellucci, we're covered at DH," general manager Jon Daniels said. "Bringing in Erubiel was a no-risk, high-reward option. Fortunately, our guys stayed healthy, and we want to let Erubiel find another opportunity."

Durazo, who played for Mexico in the World Baseball Classic, was 5-for-23 this spring for the Rangers. He is coming off Tommy John elbow surgery, and is not yet ready to play first base. He also had an agreement with the Rangers that he could become a free agent if not placed on the roster by Wednesday.

Nevin, who will make $10 million this season, will be the regular designated hitter, but Dellucci will also see time there. Nevin hit .182 with two home runs and eight RBIs for the Rangers over the final two months of last season, and the Rangers wanted Durazo as an alternative if that decline should continue.

"Phil has come in to camp in great shape, and seems committed to staying there," Daniels said. "We've got a commitment there, and we're going to give him every opportunity to make the best of it."

Dellucci is coming off his best season, batting .251 with 29 home runs, 97 runs and 65 RBIs. Right now, he is the Rangers' regular left fielder, although Laynce Nix is starting to assert himself in the final week of camp. Nix hit two home runs in Monday's game.

The Rangers still have other outfield health issues. Brad Wilkerson has a sore shoulder and Gary Matthews is going to start the season on the disabled list with a strained ribcage muscle.

"Between outfielder and designated hitter, Buck [Showalter] will have different ways to get David in the game," Daniels said. "What he did last year and what he means to the club, we'll find a way to get him in there."

Clubs have called the Rangers looking for outfield help. Kevin Mench is still highly coveted, but teams have also asked about Dellucci. Daniels met with Dellucci on Monday to make it clear the Rangers aren't trying to trade him.

"We've had calls on a variety of guys, but there's no intent on our part to move him," Daniels said. "For me, it's important as I get accustomed to this role to have an open and honest relationship with these guys. I didn't want David to focus on anything except what's in between the lines."

Last edited:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Damn that Joe G. for ever giving up on this amazing talent. Wow, Billy Beane really owned the D'Backs on that one.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
green machine said:
Damn that Joe G. for ever giving up on this amazing talent. Wow, Billy Beane really owned the D'Backs on that one.
Um, yeah he did own Joe Jr. Beane got two years of solid production for Durazo (who every OBP-loving GM in baseball was salivating over) while we got two years of horrendous pitching in the form of Elmer Dessens.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Um, yeah he did own Joe Jr. Beane got two years of solid production for Durazo (who every OBP-loving GM in baseball was salivating over) while we got two years of horrendous pitching in the form of Elmer Dessens.

Everybody acted like Durazo was the 2nd coming, and, in reality, he never would have worked here. He was a DH for the A's because he couldnt' stay healthy. Amazing what happens when one goes off the juice.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
green machine said:
Everybody acted like Durazo was the 2nd coming, and, in reality, he never would have worked here. He was a DH for the A's because he couldnt' stay healthy. Amazing what happens when one goes off the juice.
I'm sorry but the roid claim is a little to much. Maybe he wouldn't have worked here but Beane did get the better of that deal. He got a productive player and we got a crappy pitcher. Plus you can't claim every guy who has dropped off in production was on the roids. I think that the injuries you mentioned has more to do with it than anything and the roid accusation is a dangerous one.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Espo said:
I'm sorry but the roid claim is a little to much. Maybe he wouldn't have worked here but Beane did get the better of that deal. He got a productive player and we got a crappy pitcher. Plus you can't claim every guy who has dropped off in production was on the roids. I think that the injuries you mentioned has more to do with it than anything and the roid accusation is a dangerous one.

I think Ruby was on the roids - his bulk, his rage, etc.

But, the deal was crappy.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Exactly

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I'm not sitting here trying to say it was a great trade for the D'Backs. Just at the time (and for a while after) people acted like we gave up this great player and got crap in return. The latter part is true, but we didn't really lose much either. It was one of those trades that didn't really work out for either team. But really the team had to trade Ruby because of the fact that he was a typical DH and couldn't stay healthy enough to play 1B. Add Overbay to the mix (at the time a hot shot prospect) and a deal had to be done.

EDIT: Durazo played a total of 38 games in the field for the A's in three seasons. A DH and that was it.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
green machine said:
I'm not sitting here trying to say it was a great trade for the D'Backs. Just at the time (and for a while after) people acted like we gave up this great player and got crap in return. The latter part is true, but we didn't really lose much either. It was one of those trades that didn't really work out for either team. But really the team had to trade Ruby because of the fact that he was a typical DH and couldn't stay healthy enough to play 1B. Add Overbay to the mix (at the time a hot shot prospect) and a deal had to be done.

EDIT: Durazo played a total of 38 games in the field for the A's in three seasons. A DH and that was it.
Again, tell me how the A's got nothing? They got a productive player for two years at a bargain salary for giving up absolutely nothing. The thing that pissed me off most about that horrific trade was that so many GMs around baseball were going to an OBP-driven approach and Durazo was the epitome of a "moneyball" player and we got nothing for him. Joe Jr. apologists amaze me to no end.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Again, tell me how the A's got nothing? They got a productive player for two years at a bargain salary for giving up absolutely nothing. The thing that pissed me off most about that horrific trade was that so many GMs around baseball were going to an OBP-driven approach and Durazo was the epitome of a "moneyball" player and we got nothing for him. Joe Jr. apologists amaze me to no end.

All the A's got was a DH. Let me rephrase then I guess, my bad. The D'Backs traded away a player who had no place here. My guess is the other teams knew that, which was a big reason why the team only got what they did in exchange. Plus, the fact that Durazon couldn't stay healthy and there were questions about character (some created by Brenly, mind you)...I think the team got the best they could.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
green machine said:

I'm with ya on the roids theory. It was widely speculated that he was on the juice while here in AZ due to some of his injuries. Plus, a player like that doesn't just fall off the face of the earth like he did. He was a great talent and then roid testing started and shocker, he doesn't play last year and can't even make a team this year. However, we got fleeced on that Durazo/Dessens deal. Joe Jr sucks

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05