Early 2013/14 Regular Season Predictions

How well will the Suns do next year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns, and their fans, have just suffered through what arguably was their worst season in franchise history. So was this season as low as the Suns will go? Will they improve immediately with the addition of a high draft pick? Or is this just the beginning of a new Suns era where the team will become a permanent lottery fixture?

Where will they be at this time next year?

The choices are simple:

• Contender (51+ wins)
  • Significantly improve (41-50 wins)
  • Improve (31-40 wins)
  • About the same (21-30 wins)
  • Worsen (0-20 wins)

It is important to do this poll before we know who the Suns will draft or even where they will pick, because that's the nature of adapting the lottery-to-contender rebuilding model where so much relies on dumb luck. All we know at this point is that the Suns have lost enough games to secure at least a top-7 pick with that pick being most likely in the 4-6 range. We also know the salary cap situation and available free agents as well as potential trade assets. That's all the information you get.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I voted Improve because I think the front office will get impatient and bring in an overpriced, mediocre "big name" free agent in the name of rebuilding.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted Improve because I think the front office will get impatient and bring in an overpriced, mediocre "big name" free agent in the name of rebuilding.

sadly, I agree.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Andre Iguodala and Josh Smith say hello, eventhough i am not sure we can afford both.

That's kind of a best case though still.. imagine us bringing in Monta Ellis and JJ Hickson. Luckily that won't make us better really.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the GM needs to be replaced and ultimately the coach before one can predict the Suns future. I think now is too early to predict what is going to happen in 2013/14. If the Suns can be saved from itself, I think Lon Babby must lead the way because I think he has learned on the job. The question is, can he sever ties with Blanks and ultimately Hunter.

My prediction for 2013-14 is disaster if the Suns stay the same no matter what the Suns do in the draft.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
I would have to look at who is on the roster and who we are playing before I make a prediction.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

I'd be shocked if this doesn't happen. We'll miss the playoffs, end up with another mid-late lottery pick in a draft that could actually matter, and stay in perpetual "also-ran" mode.

Good times!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
By the way, I just want to point out how quickly standards have shifted on this board. 51+ wins is now called "contender," whereas when the Nash Suns were winning 55+ games every year, everyone was frustrated that they were getting only to the Conference Finals.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I am going to split the difference between slinslin and Eric and say stay the same because most of the other bottom feeders will improve more than we do. Also I think the FO isn't going to change, so while they'll try to improve, as Eric predicts, they'll do their usual lousy job and it will be a marginal improvement.

I can imagine them pulling off a 'brilliant' coup in trading Beasley... something like Beasley, Dudley and Tucker for Eric Gordon. Heck, they could draft Trey Burke and sweeten the deal by including Dragic instead of Duds and PJ. It staggers the imagination to think of what they might do with five months to concoct deals.

The reason I think the FO, including the head coach, isn't going to change is that Sarver is in a panic over the deterioration of the value of his investment - and paying out money for a real GM or coach is not going to materially affect that value. On the other hand, better players can increase that value and he doesn't have to admit he made a blunder with his 'ingenious' division of the GM responsibilities - or his choices of the people to staff it. The mindset of avoiding the admission of mistakes will trickle down resulting in Blanks and Hunter continuing on. Babby will, of course, have the green light to wheel and deal for new players.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By the way, I just want to point out how quickly standards have shifted on this board. 51+ wins is now called "contender," whereas when the Nash Suns were winning 55+ games every year, everyone was frustrated that they were getting only to the Conference Finals.

They were contenders imo. Even the media and analysts had them picked to win it all several years in a row.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were contenders imo. Even the media and analysts had them picked to win it all several years in a row.

You're kidding right? I don't know if we were ever the preseason consensus pick but we certainly weren't the favorite "several years in a row". Even if you're talking about picks come playoff time, this still isn't accurate. We were often among the teams getting consideration but that's about it. We were a contender but we weren't the favorite as a general rule.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
No, no, that's the Mercury. Y'know, Sarver's other team.

C Brittney Griner is probably going to have more stuffs than Gortat. With three All Stars alongside her. She'll be rookie-of-the-year. Might just be MVP, too.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Am I missing something? This season just ended...we don't know where the Suns' pick is going to be, who it is going to be, we don't know who will be traded, who they may receive in a trade or sign as free agents, and we are predicting what's gonna happen next year?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're kidding right? I don't know if we were ever the preseason consensus pick but we certainly weren't the favorite "several years in a row". Even if you're talking about picks come playoff time, this still isn't accurate. We were often among the teams getting consideration but that's about it. We were a contender but we weren't the favorite as a general rule.

Steve

No, no, that's the Mercury. Y'know, Sarver's other team.

C Brittney Griner is probably going to have more stuffs than Gortat. With three All Stars alongside her. She'll be rookie-of-the-year. Might just be MVP, too.

Woa...

Was just saying that atleast one analyst picked them as their favorite to win it all. But I did say they were a contender.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woa...

Was just saying that atleast one analyst picked them as their favorite to win it all. But I did say they were a contender.

Okay, I'd agree with that but if you re-read what you said I think you'll see why you garnered a response or two. They were definitely a contender for a stretch there although I don't think they've truly been one since they traded Marion. I know we made it to the WCF after the trade but that involved a once in a lifetime alignment of the stars.

Steve

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Am I missing something? This season just ended...we don't know where the Suns' pick is going to be, who it is going to be, we don't know who will be traded, who they may receive in a trade or sign as free agents, and we are predicting what's gonna happen next year?
Did you read my post? That was sort of the point of the poll. I wanted to see how many people think what happened this year was a deviation from norm and how many think this is the new norm. Will the Suns attempt to make marginal improvements to make a run at a playoff spot (and sell a few more tickets) and not much more? How will the draft pick factor in?

This poll asks to predict next year based on what you think the Suns will do in the offseason and based on how lucky you think they will get. Before the start of season we can have another prediction poll based on the actual makeup of the team the management puts out there.

Personally I think they will improve somewhat for the same reason as Eric mentioned. They will be getting desperate to sell tickets so they will sign some marginal talent to make it appear as if the team is heading in the right direction. Of course it's also as likely that they will sign someone and still fail to win 30 games.

As for the draft pick, there will be extremely high expectations of whomever the Suns draft and the player will probably fail to live up to them. The Suns will be looking for a superstar that immediately contributes and will end up with another role player for years to come. But that's a question for another poll, perhaps after the draft.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you read my post? That was sort of the point of the poll. I wanted to see how many people think what happened this year was a deviation from norm and how many think this is the new norm. Will the Suns attempt to make marginal improvements to make a run at a playoff spot (and sell a few more tickets) and not much more? How will the draft pick factor in?

This poll asks to predict next year based on what you think the Suns will do in the offseason and based on how lucky you think they will get. Before the start of season we can have another prediction poll based on the actual makeup of the team the management puts out there.

Personally I think they will improve somewhat for the same reason as Eric mentioned. They will be getting desperate to sell tickets so they will sign some marginal talent to make it appear as if the team is heading in the right direction. Of course it's also as likely that they will sign someone and still fail to win 30 games.

As for the draft pick, there will be extremely high expectations of whomever the Suns draft and the player will probably fail to live up to them. The Suns will be looking for a superstar that immediately contributes and will end up with another role player for years to come. But that's a question for another poll, perhaps after the draft.

Most on this board are afraid of being wrong. No one likes to have a little fun around here is all. Talking suns on an Internet forum is serious business.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We agree. It's like predicting a poker hand without seeing the cards. ;)

Errntknght

Reaction score
We don't know all the cards but we know who the 'players' are... go from there...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't know all the cards but we know who the 'players' are... go from there...

I'm not trying to be argumentative Errntknght, but I don't think we know who will be on the Suns roster next season beyond perhaps Dragic. IMO, the Suns will be active in the off season doing trades, signing free agents, the draft and perhaps even changing the GM and coach. Those are a lot of factors. I guess you can make a case the Suns will be bad based on all the changes.

Errntknght

Reaction score
We don't know the precise players but we know what the Suns have to work with in doing trades. We know the pool of draft eligible players and the FO history of drafting. Barring a miracle, Beasley will be back. Its enough to speculate what the outcome is likely to be. And we can make hypotheses and speculate about what will follow from them. Its kind of fun, though, of course, meaningless

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't know the precise players but we know what the Suns have to work with in doing trades. We know the pool of draft eligible players and the FO history of drafting. Barring a miracle, Beasley will be back. Its enough to speculate what the outcome is likely to be. And we can make hypotheses and speculate about what will follow from them. Its kind of fun, though, of course, meaningless

I'm all for having fun. Sometimes sports is taken too seriously which I am often guilty. I will vote for improve.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Biggest question is if Gortat will back. That imo makes a huge difference.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
At this stage anyone's prediction is just a WAG, but I put that they would remain the same. I just don't have any confidence in the front office being able to bring in anyone who can make much of a difference.

Statistically speaking, we are more likely to stay put or move down than move up in the draft, and I don't see anyone available at 4-7 as a player who can turn the franchise around in one year. The chance of our #30 or second round pick making much of difference as rookies is virtually nothing.

We don't have any amazing trade bait, and even if we did it is rare for a competent front office to dramatically improve through trades. Unless one side is shedding salary, most trades involve similar levels of talent.

There are some decent free agents out there, but is great winter weather, golf and a solid training staff enough to make someone want to come to a 25 win team? Maybe we could get Andrew Bynum, but he would have to actually play in order to make a difference.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake