Elbow muscle strain shelves closer Aquino

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
By Dan Zeiger, Tribune

TUCSON - Diamondbacks closer Greg Aquino has been scratched from today’s scheduled appearance due to a strained flexor mass in his right (pitching) elbow.

Aquino said he developed arm tightness on Friday, a day after pitching an inning against the Chicago White Sox. He will rest at least two days, and his next outing has yet to be scheduled, manager Bob Melvin said.

"We want to see how he is day to day," Melvin said on Saturday. "This is something we want to take care of."

Team physician Michael Lee said that the strain is on the inner part of the flexor mass.

"There’s no sign of a serious injury," Lee said. "Spring overuse syndrome is what we think is going on. We’ll treat him and shorten his schedule, and see how he responds in a couple days."

A flexor mass strain limited Arizona pitcher Oscar Villarreal last spring, and he appeared in 17 regular-season games before going on the disabled list in May. He did not pitch in a major league game the rest of the year and underwent elbow nerve transposition surgery.

However, the D-Backs are confident rest will suffice for Aquino, who led National League rookies with 16 saves (in 19 chances) last season.

"I was told it’s just an little inflammation, and I should be okay in a couple days," Aquino said.

RELIEF FOR GIL
Infielder Jerry Gil underwent successful right knee surgery on Friday and could resume playing in six to eight weeks — not four months, as was first feared.

When Lee opened Gil’s knee, he found the injury less severe than an MRI result indicated. Lee performed a partial resection of the medial meniscus arthroscopically, lessening the recovery time.

"I’m relieved," Gil said on Saturday. "We were talking about four months, but two sounds a lot better."

ESTES WORKS
In his 26 pitches over two innings against the Chicago White Sox, Shawn Estes accomplished everything he set out to do — and more — in his first spring appearance on Saturday.

The left-hander allowed a run on a hit with a walk but achieved a goal of establishing an inside fastball to righthanded hitters when ahead in the count. He did not plan to throw any breaking pitches but ended up firing two at the last hitter he faced.

Most important, the foot sprain that limited him at the start of spring was "not an issue," he said.

VILLARREAL ‘EXCITED’
Villarreal, vying for the fifth spot in the rotation, had his first outing of the spring and threw a scoreless inning.

"I’m excited," Villarreal said. "I feel much better than I did last year."

Melvin would like to determine if Villarreal will be in the rotation within three weeks. That would allow Villarreal enough time to prepare for the regular season as a reliever if need be.

SHORT HOPS
Two D-Backs hitters were hit by pitches from Chicago’s Damaso Marte in the eighth inning.

In the ninth, Arizona reliever Brian Bruney got a warning from home-plate umpire Peter Durfee after air-mailing a pitch and throwing inside to White Sox infielder Pablo Ozuna.

Greg Swindell, a former D-Backs relief pitcher who is a part-time assistant coach at the University of Texas, visited camp. The Longhorns are playing a weekend series at the University of Arizona.

AT A GLANCE
White Sox 10, D-Backs 0 Notable pitching: Left-handed starter Shawn Estes allowed a run on a hit with a walk in two innings, and Oscar Villarreal allowed a hit in an inning.

Reliever Brandon Lyon struck out two during a perfect inning, but Jose Valverde and Jose Jimenez took lumps. Valverde allowed three hits and five runs — including a grad slam by Carl Everett — in two-thirds of an inning, and Jimenez gave up three hits and two runs in a third of a frame.

Notable hitting: Not much, as Arizona was limited to four hits. Catcher Chris Snyder doubled, and catcher Corey Myers, left fielder Doug DeVore and shortstop Sergio Santos had singles.

ON DECK
D-Backs at White Sox What: The final game of the Cactus League-opening, four-game series between Arizona and Chicago at Tucson Electric Park, starting at 1:05 p.m. The White Sox are the designated home team.

TV/radio: None/KTAR (620 AM)
Pitchers: D-Backs — Javier Vazquez, Jon Cannon, Randy Choate, Mike Koplove, Shane Nance, Kevin Tolar. White Sox — Jon Adkins.
Records: D-Backs 2-1, White Sox 2-3.
Tickets: (520) 434-1111, (866) 672-1343 or azdiamondbacks.com

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=37514

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05