Eli Manning

Lomax15

Reaction score
If we end up with a top 3 pick again there will be several players that will interest me but the more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that the Cardinals have to draft Manning if he is available. We havent had a franchise QB since N. Lomax. I am tired of the revolving door at that position. We have suffered enough with Tupa, Shroeder, Krieg, Chandler, Beuerlein, Rosenbach, Plummer, Blake, D. Brown, C. Stout, and K. Graham. Its time they build hope for this team, this franchise as they move into the new stadium.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I'd really like to be able to do is trade for a top pick in the draft 1-2 years from now but you have to be psychic to know whose pick you need to get the first pick.

I think Manning is the best Senior Qb and the best one in this draft but I really think long term a guy like Vince Young of Texas or Chris Leak of Florida may be better players.

young is a redshirt frosh he's draft eligible after one more year, 6'5" strong arm great speed. he's going to go over 1000 yards rushing this year with only 6 starts and missing one full game early in the year(arkansas). he's averaged over 100 yards per game rushing since he became the starter, at 7.5 YPC with 11 TDs. Not a polished passer yet but hitting 61% and 8.8 YPA because he's hit several deep balls. Needs a lot of work as a passer but I really think he's the closest thing to Michael Vick out there and he's taller.

Leak is one of the more poised and polished Freshmen QB's I've ever seen. He's listed at 6'1" and that may be his biggest problem, I've already seen him compared to Blake which is because of the height and being black. Doesn't have the gun Jeff does but has a strong arm 60%, putting up good numbers since becoming the starter, 14 TD 10 picks as a true 18 year old freshman. Not the runner Young is but he is fast and he's getting a lot better at it, in the LSU game he had 11 runs for -66 yards, had 9 for 48 against FSU Saturday over 100 yards swing in about 2 months he has figured out you can't just outrun people the way he did in HS.

If we can get Manning by all means take him, but if I could have any QB in college football today I think I would put Young and Leak ahead of him.

My sleeper QB for the future is Aaron Rodgers at Cal he reminds me so much of a young Favre. Only 6'2" and a soph who played in JC last year. Really well coached, Tedford is terrific with QB's another guy I'd love to have on a coaching staff for the Cards. Rodgers has a very quick release, strong arm, can run, tough kid and a leader. THey're in the Insight.com bowl take a look at Rodgers he has come from out of nowhere and he's FAR ahead of Boller at the same stage of their careers.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lomax15
If we end up with a top 3 pick again there will be several players that will interest me but the more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that the Cardinals have to draft Manning if he is available. We havent had a franchise QB since N. Lomax. I am tired of the revolving door at that position. We have suffered enough with Tupa, Shroeder, Krieg, Chandler, Beuerlein, Rosenbach, Plummer, Blake, D. Brown, C. Stout, and K. Graham. Its time they build hope for this team, this franchise as they move into the new stadium.

you forgot stan gelbaugh, jim mcmahon, boomer esiason, and tony sacca(sh#t).

that's quite an impressive array of no-talent!

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
What I'd really like to be able to do is trade for a top pick in the draft 1-2 years from now but you have to be psychic to know whose pick you need to get the first pick.

I think Manning is the best Senior Qb and the best one in this draft but I really think long term a guy like Vince Young of Texas or Chris Leak of Florida may be better players.

young is a redshirt frosh he's draft eligible after one more year, 6'5" strong arm great speed. he's going to go over 1000 yards rushing this year with only 6 starts and missing one full game early in the year(arkansas). he's averaged over 100 yards per game rushing since he became the starter, at 7.5 YPC with 11 TDs. Not a polished passer yet but hitting 61% and 8.8 YPA because he's hit several deep balls. Needs a lot of work as a passer but I really think he's the closest thing to Michael Vick out there and he's taller.

Leak is one of the more poised and polished Freshmen QB's I've ever seen. He's listed at 6'1" and that may be his biggest problem, I've already seen him compared to Blake which is because of the height and being black. Doesn't have the gun Jeff does but has a strong arm 60%, putting up good numbers since becoming the starter, 14 TD 10 picks as a true 18 year old freshman. Not the runner Young is but he is fast and he's getting a lot better at it, in the LSU game he had 11 runs for -66 yards, had 9 for 48 against FSU Saturday over 100 yards swing in about 2 months he has figured out you can't just outrun people the way he did in HS.

If we can get Manning by all means take him, but if I could have any QB in college football today I think I would put Young and Leak ahead of him.

My sleeper QB for the future is Aaron Rodgers at Cal he reminds me so much of a young Favre. Only 6'2" and a soph who played in JC last year. Really well coached, Tedford is terrific with QB's another guy I'd love to have on a coaching staff for the Cards. Rodgers has a very quick release, strong arm, can run, tough kid and a leader. THey're in the Insight.com bowl take a look at Rodgers he has come from out of nowhere and he's FAR ahead of Boller at the same stage of their careers.

I'm with you on this one, Russ. Manning doesn't excite me as much as Young does. He is the real thing, isn't he?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a no-brainer that Manning is the guy we need to draft, but we'll need the 1st pick in order to get him. Manning has all the tools to be a very good NFL QB. He has great instincts, which is something that is difficult to teach. Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to QB's, but he's the best QB to come out since his brother. This is a kid that was primed for the NFL since he was 2 yrs old. If given the chance, we jump all over this kid.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What was the name of the QB drafted by...I think the raiders who's dad raised him to do nothingbut be a QB. Didnt he dive into drugs once he got out from under his dads thumb and never did anything in the NFL?

So it scares me when you say he was primed to be an NFL qb since 2 years old lol

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by swd1974
What was the name of the QB drafted by...I think the raiders who's dad raised him to do nothingbut be a QB. Didnt he dive into drugs once he got out from under his dads thumb and never did anything in the NFL?

So it scares me when you say he was primed to be an NFL qb since 2 years old lol

Todd Marinavich (spelling?)

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by PACardsFan
It's a no-brainer that Manning is the guy we need to draft, but we'll need the 1st pick in order to get him. Manning has all the tools to be a very good NFL QB. He has great instincts, which is something that is difficult to teach. Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to QB's, but he's the best QB to come out since his brother. This is a kid that was primed for the NFL since he was 2 yrs old. If given the chance, we jump all over this kid.

Honestly, I think Leftwich is better.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by red desert
Todd Marinavich (spelling?)

Yeah, the red headed step child. Came out of USC I think. Highly rated but couldn't keep clean.

Failed in the arena league after that.

Most likely locked up somewhere these days. Wonder if he's seen the longest yard?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by swd1974

The difference is that Manning has the GENETICS to be a great QB. He was raised & taught to be a QB by his father, WHO WAS A GREAT QB HIMSELF. If Archie Manning didn't play for such a pathetic team, he'd be in the HOF, he was that good. Barring injuries, Peyton will be in the Hall, no doubt. Marinovich's Dad was an egomaniac, Manning's Dad ISN'T

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think Leftwich is better.

And Carr, and Vick and maybe Palmer. Manning has more polish but he doesn't have the arm of Carr. Palmer's arm is not quite up to Carr or LEftwich but better than Manning.

What Eli has is the smarts and instincts.

Of course if Henson hadn't gone to play baseball he'd top my list right now I'm waiting to hear what he does in workouts.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Carr, and Vick and maybe Palmer. Manning has more polish but he doesn't have the arm of Carr. Palmer's arm is not quite up to Carr or LEftwich but better than Manning.

What Eli has is the smarts and instincts.

Pennington doesn't have an arm either - but the kid has undeniable instincts too.

I think Pennington is one of the top 3 or 4 QBs in the game today. I would much rather have the smarts & instincts vs. arm.

Think which would you rather have had when both were early in their career : Bernie Kosar vs. Jeff George

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on this one, Russ. Manning doesn't excite me as much as Young does. He is the real thing, isn't he?

I think Young is better than Vick at the same stage, but Vick probably has a stronger arm and is definitely faster.

young is turning the ball over too much but the kid is amazing, you look at how well Mock has played even Mack Brown said look Mock has done nothing wrong we simply can't ignore how good Vince Young is.

I read somewhere that Young is considered a better athlete than teammate Roy Williams. There are those that felt early on they should move Young to WR but he considers himself a QB and so far I think you gotta agree with him.

Hopefully he'll continue to progress and won't plateau as a great runner so so passer the way McNabb seems to have done.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Of course if Henson hadn't gone to play baseball he'd top my list right now I'm waiting to hear what he does in workouts.

I don't know much about him and didn't follow him much when he was in college.

Does he have the moxy to be an NFL QB?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jkf296
Pennington doesn't have an arm either - but the kid has undeniable instincts too.

I think Pennington is one of the top 3 or 4 QBs in the game today. I would much rather have the smarts & instincts vs. arm.

Think which would you rather have had when both were early in their career : Bernie Kosar vs. Jeff George

I love Pennington, actually I was going to say if Manning turns out to be another Pennington I'll be thrilled. He has a stronger arm than Chad, I'm merely responding to the comment that Eli is the best QB to come out since his brother, I think you'll find very few NFL people who would agree with that now with Vick, Carr and others.

Remember Carr started on an expansion team with no proven Wr's.

If Eli has what Pennington has with regards to feel for the game he'll be a stud. So far I haven't seen it in the games I've seen, puts up huge numbers in the mismatch games and so numbers in the games against top teams. Really wanted to see him play better against LSU.

I have no objection to taking Eli but I'm not as sold on him as most seem to be.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan