azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Doyle Murphy
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 23, 2004 12:00 AM

Prescott practices
Today - 8:45-11 a.m., and 4-5:30 p.m.

Tuesday - 8:45-11:15 a.m., and 3:30-4:30 p.m.

Wednesday - 8:45-11 a.m., and 4-5:30 p.m.

Thursday - 9:30-11:15 a.m., and 4-5 p.m.

Friday - 10:30 a.m.-noon.

After the Cardinals allowed 38 points in Saturday night's preseason loss to the San Diego Chargers, safety Adrian Wilson wouldn't say what the defense needed to do. That's the coaches' job.

But he can tell you this: "This isn't where we want to be."

Even more frustrating for the Cardinals is that Saturday's performance appeared even worse than the previous week, when they allowed 23 points to the Minnesota Vikings. Coach Dennis Green had few good things to say about the group last week, and he wasn't blinded by bright spots Saturday.

"We did not stop them in the first half," Green said. "I mean, we did not force them to punt until probably the third or fourth quarter. We did not get any sacks at all in the first half, and we had some key penalties."

Add in an embarrassing touchdown, when Chargers kicker Nate Kaeding ran into the end zone untouched on a fake field-goal attempt, and the debacle was complete.

McCown looking for TD

While the Chargers were scoring in nearly every way imaginable, Cardinals quarterback Josh McCown was still trying to get in the end zone for the first time during the preseason.

McCown completed 11 of 17 passes for 109 yards, but threw behind a wide-open Karl Williams at the beginning of the second quarter.

McCown said that the miscues are annoying but they don't concern him too much because he knows he can make those plays.

"They'll happen eventually," McCown said. "There's no panic when we get down there. Just for whatever reason it hasn't worked out the way we like."

Aside from the botched opportunity for a touchdown, McCown and the Cardinals had some success moving the ball in the first half. McCown completed eight of 11 passes for 89 yards and the Cardinals recorded nine first downs before halftime.

It was of little consolation for offensive lineman Leonard Davis.

"We get in the red zone, what three times?" Davis said. "We've got to score. That's the bottom line."

Navarre impresses

Pressed to find a positive angle in Saturday's game, Green loaded up for another tongue lashing.

"Well, I didn't see it today," Green said, before catching himself. "Well, I think John Navarre. You know John continues to play well. I mean you've seen him in practice. He plays well."

Navarre, the Cardinals' third-string quarterback, threw for Arizona's first touchdown of the preseason when he found receiver Reggie Newhouse cutting toward the middle in the final seconds. The rookie from Michigan also completed all six of his passes for 92 yards.

"What we're looking for is some guys who are what you call gamers," Green said. "I think we have some guys who can do that and we're going to have to work real hard to try to get some more."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/04cardscamp/0823Cardsnotes0823.html

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Doyle Murphy
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 23, 2004 12:00 AM

...Saturday's performance appeared even worse than the previous week, when they allowed 23 points to the Minnesota Vikings. Coach Dennis Green had few good things to say about the group last week, and he wasn't blinded by bright spots Saturday.

"We did not stop them in the first half," Green said. "I mean, we did not force them to punt until probably the third or fourth quarter. We did not get any sacks at all in the first half, and we had some key penalties."

Add in an embarrassing touchdown, when Chargers kicker Nate Kaeding ran into the end zone untouched on a fake field-goal attempt, and the debacle was complete.

AZDad:

For those still trying to find a silver lining to Saturday's game against San Diego, consider Peter King's impression of the Chargers after visiting their training camp on July 30:

I want to have an open mind, and I want to think every team in July deserves to have its optimism, and then I see the Chargers. I don't see a way for them to compete in what I fear could be the last season of Marty Schottenheimer (speaking of dead man walking) coaching in the NFL. What a way for him to go out, with LaDainian Tomlinson surrounded by the equivalent of the Columbus Clippers. For Schottenheimer's sake, I hope Philip Rivers gets to camp soon. And I hope he's the second coming of Dan Fouts.​

That's what smacked the Cardinals around at SDS this weekend. Omigod.

WC

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser