ESPN Article on Phoenix and Damp

Maximus

Reaction score
OK, you guys might be sick of me posting stuff about Dampier. What can I say...any pro athlete that responds to a fan email is a stud in my book. Anyway, in this ESPN article by Marc Stein, it talks about Phoenix liking Damp from the get go, and possibly going after him if the Clips match Q.

Sure is frustrating being in limbo with the Clippers, but that's restricted free agency...

Here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=1845274

I'm still big on this guy. I know people are concerned that he plays well in contract years, but we don't NEED this guy to be an All Star. We need a big in the middle who plays defense. If he plays like he did last year...bonus.

Maximus

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

Reaction score
(by the way, the stuff about Dampier and Phoenix is in the middle of the article)

Maximus

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Maximus said:
OK, you guys might be sick of me posting stuff about Dampier. What can I say...any pro athlete that responds to a fan email is a stud in my book. Anyway, in this ESPN article by Marc Stein, it talks about Phoenix liking Damp from the get go, and possibly going after him if the Clips match Q.

Sure is frustrating being in limbo with the Clippers, but that's restricted free agency...

Here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=1845274

I'm still big on this guy. I know people are concerned that he plays well in contract years, but we don't NEED this guy to be an All Star. We need a big in the middle who plays defense. If he plays like he did last year...bonus.

Maximus

Agreed. A motivated and healthy Dampier = WINS for PHX.

moviebuff316

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see Dampier being in a Phoenix uniform, but I would love too. Hopefully he isnt signed or sign-traded to another team before Q is either matched or declined.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I'm with you. As I've said several times before (anyone sick of it yet? :p), if Dampier plays at only 70% of last year's level, he'd still be the best center in Suns history.

fordronken

Reaction score
For the money me can offer him, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I was just against giving him(and this still makes me laugh) Adonal Foyle type money.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I'm with you. As I've said several times before (anyone sick of it yet? :p), if Dampier plays at only 70% of last year's level, he'd still be the best center in Suns history.
I dont know about that, neal walk had 2 or 3 good years. He was our conselation prize to loosing out on Kareem. I met him about 4 years ago and apparently he's in a wheelchair now.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I was very wary of Dampier. But at the time people were talking about an extended contract starting at 8-10 Mil.

If Q is matched and we can get him to a similar contract then I am all for that. Dampier is the type of player they need to add to this team.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Like most, I disliked the idea of Damp at 8 million a year. However, if we can get him to ink a contract similar to the one Q signed, I would be thrilled.

Talk about an offseason - getting Nash and Damp with only 14 million in cap space.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I recall, there were rumors the Suns were going to trade up in the 1996 draft to get either Lorenzen Wright or Dampier. Instead they stayed pat, and most of the locals figured they would draft a big project there. Ilgauskus? Todd Fuller?

Instead, the Suns shocked everyone by drafting a Canadian point guard from Santa Clara named Steve Nash.

I remember talking to Lionell Hollins (then with the Grizzlies) before the draft. He was certain of two things: Abdur Rahim was the best player in the draft and the Suns wouldn't draft a center. He was 50 percent correct.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
As I recall, there were rumors the Suns were going to trade up in the 1996 draft to get either Lorenzen Wright or Dampier. Instead they stayed pat, and most of the locals figured they would draft a big project there. Ilgauskus? Todd Fuller?

Instead, the Suns shocked everyone by drafting a Canadian point guard from Santa Clara named Steve Nash.

I remember talking to Lionell Hollins (then with the Grizzlies) before the draft. He was certain of two things: Abdur Rahim was the best player in the draft and the Suns wouldn't draft a center. He was 50 percent correct.

They were desperately trying to trade up to get Kobe. I was there and Jerry, Cotton, BC etc were all noticably upset when Kobe was picked 2 picks before the Suns turn.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to Dampier, all the rumors was that he was looking for a $60 to $70 million deal, which was simply too much considering his his history. However, he would not be a bad pickup at $45 million even if he only did slightly above his career numbers because he is a solid defender.

One of the odd things about the Warriors is that Dampier did not get a huge number of minutes because Foyle was also getting over 20 minutes. In 2001-02 Fortson put up some great numbers and averaged 11.6 rpg in 28.8 minutes while Dampier only played 23.8 minutes. In 2000-01 the Warriors had Marc Jackson, Fortson, Corie Blount, Foyle, and Adam Keefe competing for minutes on the inside.

Perhaps if he was a superstar, Dampier would have been given more minutes. I'm told he play while hurt, but that doesn't change the fact that he did not really show much until he got the minutes.

Dylan

Registered
Reaction score
If we are interested in Dampier, I am sure we can call his agent and tell him that he only needs to wait a few days and if we get matched, he can have what we have left, which is more than the MLE. He can wait a few days if he is interested, cause he will have plenty of suitors from all the teams out there who have an MLE. He can get the MLE anytime.

So, unless he wants a couple more mil to play in Atlanta, or go to Phoenix which is far better team, and organization, he can just wait a few days. Then if Q is not matched, he can go take an MLE somewhere.

I can see us calling him and telling him that. If he doesn't go somewhere in the next couple days, I think that might be a good sign that he is waiting.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Where has Chaplin been? I posted a while back, about wanting Erick Dampier (Stromile Swift as well) and he convinced me - Dampier wasn't worth the contract he was seeking (or atleast he didn't like idea)... I wouldn't mind Q or Dampier with remaining money though. Dampier has always averaged around 2 blocks/game and: 10 PTS 7 REB 1.5 BLK wouldn't be too bad for that price. IMO better than trading Marion and his 1.3 BLKS for a center that averages around same... Dampier, Stoudemire, and Marion frontline would be sweet. I do like Richardson though - not sure who I'd prefer.

Dylan

Registered
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
Where has Chaplin been? I posted a while back, about wanting Erick Dampier (Stromile Swift as well) and he convinced me - Dampier wasn't worth the contract he was seeking (or atleast he didn't like idea)... I wouldn't mind Q or Dampier with remaining money though. Dampier has always averaged around 2 blocks/game and: 10 PTS 7 REB 1.5 BLK wouldn't be too bad for that price. IMO better than trading Marion and his 1.3 BLKS for a center that averages around same... Dampier, Stoudemire, and Marion frontline would be sweet. I do like Richardson though - not sure who I'd prefer.

I agree it is better to upgrade via FA than to have to trade for a center. This would be a great situation. We've been hearing/talking all summer about trading to improve, but if we can do it AND keep Marion, JJ then we really have done something.

I like Q as well, but with Casey looking more ready, and our need in the center position compared to a need in the 2-3 spots, I would have to go with Dampier. A big vs a small would support that as well.

If Dampier is possible for us if Q is matched, we are in a pretty good win-win situation. Nash and Q or Nash and Dampier would be a good way to spend the 14 mil.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Look at Alvin Adams career stats and some of the years he put up and come back and make that statement! :)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Alvan Adams was not a center. I know he played center, and it's true that the league was not so big-and-strong back then, but even so, I don't think he qualifies.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Alvan Adams was not a center. I know he played center, and it's true that the league was not so big-and-strong back then, but even so, I don't think he qualifies.
They had bigger and better centers back then than they have now. Where do you get this stuff? :shrug:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yuma said:
They had bigger and better centers back then than they have now. Where do you get this stuff? :shrug:

6-10 was typical center size. Adams was slightly undersized at the time. Dave Cowans was 6-7 and played center for several Celtics championship teams. The center position was much more of a finesse position in those days. Wilt was an aberration. Jabbar played the typical finesse type of game.

Eric, Adams was our center and he played there for nearly 10 years--of course he counts. By this reasoning, you can't count Barkley as a PF because he was 6-6.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Eric, Adams was our center and he played there for nearly 10 years--of course he counts. By this reasoning, you can't count Barkley as a PF because he was 6-6.

It's not just that Adams was short. He was also very light, something like 210 as I recall, and did not have a center's game.

Anyway, I concede the point. Dampier would be the Suns' best center "since Adams."

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dylan said:
I agree it is better to upgrade via FA than to have to trade for a center. This would be a great situation. We've been hearing/talking all summer about trading to improve, but if we can do it AND keep Marion, JJ then we really have done something.

I like Q as well, but with Casey looking more ready, and our need in the center position compared to a need in the 2-3 spots, I would have to go with Dampier. A big vs a small would support that as well.

If Dampier is possible for us if Q is matched, we are in a pretty good win-win situation. Nash and Q or Nash and Dampier would be a good way to spend the 14 mil.

Dampier is a great value at $45 million and overpaid at $70 million.

I would guess that Dampier would get 8 ppg and just under 8 rpg with the Suns. The Suns have a lot of rebounders and a real low post offensive player, so there is no way he gets the stats he got last season. But it would be enough to make the Suns a real contender.

Realistically, the best big men in the west are PF's so Dampier would be matched against the likes of Brian Grant, Camby, Miller, Ervin Johnson, Nesterovic, and Wright. Magoloire and Ming may be better, but Dampier would be competative.

I hate to hope, but it would be a "no brainer" if the opportunity came up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05