ESPN:Steelers finalizing five-year deal with Jackson

AzWins23

Reaction score
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

The Steelers were finalizing a five-year deal Monday night to sign Super Bowl MVP Dexter Jackson of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Terms of Jackson's contract are close to the five-year, $12.25 million deal the Falcons signed with safety Cory Hall last week. The Bucs wanted to re-sign Jackson but they could only offer between $1 million and $1.5 million because of the salary cap.

For Jackson, the final bidding came down to the Arizona Cardinals and the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Cardinals were first to offer in the $2.4 million-a-year range. The Steelers arrived at that number on Monday, giving Jackson a choice.

Gezz...What do you think it came down to? Winning or Losing...Or being on a team with good players...He we go guys....This is what we are going to expect this whole free agent period!!

pinnacle

Reaction score
jackson is worth that contract..I hope we have someone else in mind if we do not increase...

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
i think that salary is very reasonalbe for a guy like him. He would add a lot to this defense. I was worried he'd want more than that. I would even pay hime 3 mil per season. We wont though, and there will be another missed oppurtunity by this team.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So Clayton's saying we made him an offer?

Graves didn't say that. I wonder if Clayton is bunk.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Well I wanted Dexter Jackson, but do any of you really think that he could be any better than Adrian Wilson playing FS? Justin Lucas, more than proved IMO, that he can play in this league. Maybe we should look into signing Lee Flowers...:D

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Adrian Wilson was not that good last year. Tons of mental mistakes. Very frequently in the wrong place.

Sorry for the reality intrusion, I know we need to cling to some guys to be optimistic about, but he's not "there" yet as a starter.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
Adrian Wilson was not that good last year. Tons of mental mistakes. Very frequently in the wrong place.

Sorry for the reality intrusion, I know we need to cling to some guys to be optimistic about, but he's not "there" yet as a starter.

Oh I know he made a lot of mistakes, but he did show some nice ability also. With a little bit of more work (I wonder why Ramsey was fired ?) he should do well.

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score

Hopefully Ron Milus will be able to help him out this year. Adrian has the size and speed, but he needs someone to teach him to use it correctly.

I would be frightened if Justin Lucas was a starter. I think he is adequate as a backup and a special teams guy, but I don't have confidence that he can get the job done as a starter.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
Oh I know he made a lot of mistakes, but he did show some nice ability also. With a little bit of more work (I wonder why Ramsey was fired ?) he should do well.

Yeah, the athletic ability and potential are clearly there.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Yeah, the athletic ability and potential are clearly there.

See this year, the smartest approach, at least at a few positions, would be to let the young guys play (guys like Wilson, not guys like Josh McCown). Anyone who believes that we are going to be a good team is smoking some serious cheeba.

I say play Wilson, Lucas, and every young guy that is decent on our team.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We paid Kwamie 3.3mil last year. At this point, if Kwamie was worth that to us last year, Dexter Jackson would be a steal for us at 3 mil a year. Up the offer to that, and maybe a little more if need be.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
We paid Kwamie 3.3mil last year. At this point, if Kwamie was worth that to us last year, Dexter Jackson would be a steal for us at 3 mil a year. Up the offer to that, and maybe a little more if need be.

Word on KFFL is now that he may re-sign with Tampa for $1.5 million per year.

Looks like he cares more about winning than money, which means we're screwed. I don't know whether to put a "smiley" or a frown after that statement.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would not be that concerned with Jackson not signing. I am still not sure he isn't going to be a larry brown. I know people have said he won't, but I'm just no so sure. Besides, there is still Sammy Knight out there, who has been a PLAYMAKER. He's 22 months older and has 4 more years starting experience. He isn't as fast, but he makes plays.

I haven't hear SH(T about him making visits anywhere. IF jackson signs elswhere, I would hope the cards go after him. He wouldn't be that bad of a consolation prize guys.

If jackson signs with us, fine, if not, there are more and possibly better and tastier fish in the sea.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said before in another thread, my interpretation was Graves wasn;t interested in Jackson. He was interviewed by Jurecki and Lewis and during the interview, when asked about Okeafor and Jacksons visits, he spoke highly and in some depth about Okeafor but glossed right past Jackson. Maybe I read too much into it but who knows.

I tend to agree with Ed in that I don't believe Clayton knows what he is talking about when he says the Cards offered Jackson a contract.

AJ, I disagree 100% with the reasoning that because we paid KLass 3.3 last year then we should open the bank for Jackson. We shouldn't have paid KLass that much and look what that money got us in return. I wanted KLass back last year but not at the franchise tag amount. Now is the time to learn from that mistake and not compound it.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pinnacle is right, the article implies that. But the front office has outright stated that contracts have been offered to Stewart and Colvin but never said so about Jackson.

I think Clayton and the other media are assuming.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34

AJ, I disagree 100% with the reasoning that because we paid KLass 3.3 last year then we should open the bank for Jackson. We shouldn't have paid KLass that much and look what that money got us in return. I wanted KLass back last year but not at the franchise tag amount. Now is the time to learn from that mistake and not compound it.

AZCB34, I disagree with your reasoning as well. If we really think Jackson will be a good starter, and I think he will be, then he is worth that much to us. Jackson is younger than Kwamie, and is coming from a team that earned a ring. He'd be an asset to the team at that price. Nickel squeezing and penny pinching on this first round of free agents will not make us better. No one wins a prize for 'smartest contracts' or 'best cap management.'

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
Sammy Knight is the best at his position out there. Last I heard he had a visit scheduled with Pittsburgh. That was 2 wks ago. Numbers wise no one is close to his production, he's better than Kwame & Dexter. Will we pursue him??? Probably not
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Sign some Freakin Body!!!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22