ESPN the Magazine

seesred

Reaction score
In the August issue of ESPN the Mag it has a great article on Warner. The title of the piece is Last Laugh. It talks about the man, the person, the player. It points out that only Steve Young has a better passing rating than Warner. His agent had put together a DVD of every throw that Warner made last season 277. Green and his staff sat hours studing the film. They saw him stick throws when he had the time. Momentsd that were very reiniscent of his three seasons from 1999 to 2001. It's a good honest read. A quote from Warner " my game is more a game of thinking than anything else
and that's something I haven't lost".
GBR
Think Playoffs

spanky1

Reaction score
seesred said:
In the August issue of ESPN the Mag it has a great article on Warner. The title of the piece is Last Laugh. It talks about the man, the person, the player. It points out that only Steve Young has a better passing rating than Warner. His agent had put together a DVD of every throw that Warner made last season 277. Green and his staff sat hours studing the film. They saw him stick throws when he had the time. Momentsd that were very reiniscent of his three seasons from 1999 to 2001. It's a good honest read. A quote from Warner " my game is more a game of thinking than anything else
and that's something I haven't lost".
GBR
Think Playoffs

If Green studied the tape as thoroughly as it appears he did, then I'm confident that the decision to sign and start Warner is the right one.

Bobcat

Reaction score
spanky1 said:
If Green studied the tape as thoroughly as it appears he did, then I'm confident that the decision to sign and start Warner is the right one.

I also agree. People just like to cut players down when they don't play well when really the reason is either the team they play for sucks, or the player is injured. Playing with an injury at a skilled position such as QB, must be almost imposible to preform at a high level.

Bobcat :thumbup:

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Does anyone else wonder if we didn't make a mistake...

...by not making a longer-term deal with Warner?

Gnomad

Roamin' Gnome
Reaction score
i'm slowly getting on the bandwagon. I was very very anti-warner after the 6 turnovers/2 safeties game he had against NYG a couple years ago. But after seeing how he played in NY last year... he never won the games on his own, but he did everything he could to make it happen. Played hard, and with a lot of heart. I can very much admire that in our leader.

Bring the pain, Kurt. Show 'em all what they passed on.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Redheart said:

Yes if he has a great year we're screwed. If he has a good to mediocre year I say sign him up for 2 more years and draft our QB of the future next year.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Redheart said:

Not really. He already costs 4 mill against the cap. He will most likely cost that much against the cap with a long term deal, becuase of the signing bonus being prorated. For comparisons sack, Mannings cap hit is under 6 mill right now becuase his base salary is the minimum for the first 3 or 4 years of his contract.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Yes if he has a great year we're screwed. If he has a good to mediocre year I say sign him up for 2 more years and draft our QB of the future next year.

If he has a great year, why would we be screwed? Why wouldn't he wouldn't to stay and continue his sucess?

spanky1

Reaction score
If Warner has a great year, he'll be resigned to a three year deal, but not one that "breaks the bank". Green doesn't believe that QB's are irreplaceable a la Peyton Manning etc. He believes that QB's are successful because of his "system". He will never let his QB get a contract that is too excessive......just as he won't an RB. He will allow for a WR to be paid a premium however. It is the one skill position that he needs to make it all work in his system.