FA receiver possibilities?

X-29Fan

Veteran
Reaction score
I believe that Marcus Robinson (Bears) is a free agent. He showed some flash a few years back. I think that he would be worth a look if healthy.

Curtis Conway....good receiver.

I am not saying that either could "replace" Boston, but if the Cards could get say - both of these guys-, they would have some veteran receivers that have produced in the past. Also, it might make drafting a WR a luxury, as opposed to a necessity.

Any other names?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd want the Cards to resign Jenkins and Sanders first.

The FA market is so active (except with the Cards) it's tough to keep up with who is still available, but Antonio Freeman would be a nice vet FA.

To me though the biggest need on the O is a QB who can throw a deep ball. This means Blake should be who the Cards target.

If the Cards (fingers and too many other body parts crossed to mention) sign Colvin, Holiday or Okeafor, Jackson, a vet CB / or Thorton and possibly vet LB then the D looks much better. Throw in drafting Suggs or Kennedy or Robertson or Newman in rd1 and now the D could be the strength of the team.

This gives the Cards a good to very good D and an O that has a chance to contribute.

A very good O-line, if C position addressed.
A very good RB
A QB who can throw the long ball and doesn't throw more picks then TD's.
A WR corp that has speed and should be able to stretch the D.
A TE corp that can block and make some contributions in the receiving game.

With Blake and Co. making a couple of big plays a game and the D actually stopping the opposition far more often and even getting some TO's this sounds a lot like some recent Super Bowl teams. No I don't think the Cards are going to the SB this year.

The key to this off season is not getting a stud WR, good thing since there is none out there at this point, but shoring up the D. The good news is that all of the player we wanted on that side of the ball are still out there.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ed B mentioned a sleeper pick coming out of the draft named Calico.

Kid runs a 4.3 something and is 6-3. If he's coachable, imagine how good he might be after a year or two under Sully. Maybe worth a high 3rd round shot if available.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin

Kid runs a 4.3 something and is 6-3. If he's coachable, imagine how good he might be after a year or two under Sully. Maybe worth a high 3rd round shot if available.

With Sully and his protege on staff the Cards can easily find WR talent deep into the draft. Much like the Donks never draft a RB or O Lineman in rd 1 because they can find talent at these positions later in the draft the same thing could be said about the Cards and WR's. Of course this means Mcaddely and Gilmore have to step up this year to prove this point.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All You Ever Wanted to Know About Tyron Calico (but were afraid to ask)

Tyrone Calico
Wide Receiver
Middle Tennessee State
Collected by Draftbook.com.
6-4/221
40: 4.38

John Murphy; collected by Draftbook.com:
2-27-03 Ran 4.33 in the 40... at 6-foot-4, 223 pounds... great size/speed prospect... needs work on his hands/routes... but it is hard to turn away from those numbers... just look what Jerry Porter (Raiders) has done with similar physical tools...

1-15-03 Middle Tennessee State WR Tyrone Calico (#11) has a great physique... routes need some work... catches the ball well in traffic... knows how to use his size to his advantage... should be a mid-to-late day one guy...

12-05-02 Middle Tennessee State senior wide receiver Tyrone Calico is one of the most physically-gifted receivers available for next year's NFL Draft. He had 45 catches for 606 yards and four touchdowns this season, playing in a run-oriented offense that also spreads the ball around to a number of different options. "(I) think I really improved my game a lot this season... catching the ball better, not dropping many passes... I just wanted to become a better all-around player", explains Calico. Calico set a school record with 65 catches as a freshman, including 12 against East Tennesssee State and 9 versus Arizona. He also scored a pair of 40-plus yard touchdowns in his first season with the team. The Tennessee native won the "Best Conditioned Athlete Award" in 2000; he can power clean over 350 pounds, averages 4.4 in the 40 and has a near 40" vertical.He had 16 catches for 276 yards and two touchdowns in games against Maryland, Illinois and Mississippi State during his sophomore year. Both of the scores came against current Washingon Redskins cornerback Fred Smoot, who then was the starting cornerback for Mississippi State. In fact, one of his scores against Mississippi State came on a highlight film moment from 42 yards out, as he snared a pass one-handed along the sideline, split three defenders, and raced to the endzone. The catch was voted as the best catch of the year by a national panel of broadcasters and sportswriters.Last season he superb effort against Idaho, grabbing five passes for 160 yards, including three touchdowns. He also added scores against Ole Miss and LSU, while taking a reverse 38 yards for a score against Arkansas State. His performance earned him Co-Offensive MVP honors, which is an award he is up for once again this season.His biggests assets are his size, big hands, long arms and ability to gain an instant advantage on smaller defensive backs, especially over the middle. He has proven to be a strong and willing blocker, which will help him get on the field quickly at the pro level. The two areas he seems to have worked on the most is coming back to the ball and not rounding off his routes, as much as in previous years.Calico is poised to make a huge impression on scouts in the post-season, as he will be attending the Senior Bowl. A successful week of practice, especially showing that he can get off the line and gain separation from a higher class of defender, could push him into the mid-to-late portion of the second round come draft day.

8-21-02 Fellow senior, wide receiver Tyrone Calico is also doing much to impress the pro scouts that come to Murfreesboro, Tennessee. The super-sized wide receiver (6-4, 221 lbs.) recorded a 4.38 40-time in the spring, and last week power-cleaned 374 pounds in the weight room, which is one of best marks posted by a receiver in a long time. To give you some idea of what that mark means... current Washington Redskins defensive tackle Daryl Gardener, who is 6-foot-6, 317 pounds, power-cleaned the exact same 374 pounds when he was a senior at Baylor University. Calico has Top-50 pick skills!

Len Pasquarelli, collected by Draftbook.com:
2-24-03 Great size and linear speed, and he really lit it up in the 40, with a few scouts clocking him at just under 4.4. Caught the ball adequately, but he will really have to work on his hands and, even more important, on route technique. He's very raw but it's too hard to ignore his deep speed potential.

Matthew Gambill, collected by Draftbook.com:
1-17-03 Middle Tennessee State's Tyrone Calico was the most physically imposing receiver in Mobile. At 6033 and 219-pounds, Calico showed better than expected hands and looked to be a much-improved route runner. He was able to get out the blocks quickly and looked very smooth in his routes. He's a big bodied player who is expected to run in the low to mid 4.4 range(4.42 in spring). Positioned himself nicely and will likely be a solid second rounder.

Pro Football Weekly, collected by Draftbook.com:
1-16-03 (Middle Tennessee State WR) Tyrone Calico has to catch the ball in traffic if he wants to play in the NFL. Has to. The last two days, he hasn’t done it. He catches well when he gets his feet set and has both eyes on the quarterback, but not when he’s moving.

1-15-03 Middle Tennessee State WR Tyrone Calico, who dropped to do pushups anytime he dropped a pass — “He looks physically gifted. But if you are (6-4, 221) and you don’t go get a jump ball, what can you do?”

DJ Boyer, collected by Draftbook.com:
1-8-03 Strength: Vertical leap, speed.
Weakness: Route running, consistency.
Assessment: Tyrone Calico saw his numbers drop at Middle Tennessee State but most of that was due to Dwone Hicks and the fact that the run was stressed more in the offense. Calico is starting to do the little things on the football field like block and make more catches in the middle of the field. Calico has very good speed and is another tall prospect who has leaping ability to go with his size. Calico needs to work on running more crisp routes and developing more consistency. There were times where it looked like if he wasn’t involved with the game plan his routes would get sloppy and he wouldn’t create seperation when his number was finally called. Is a prospect who is very coachable and is someone who I think has a bright future in the NFL. One of my draft darkhorses, I like Calico a lot.

Joel Buchsbaum, collected by Draftbook.com:
10-15-02 WR Tyrone Calico is starting to come on although he still does not play to his 4.4 speed. However, he is big, physical and fast enough for a big receiver.

Mel Kiper, collected by Draftbook.com:
8-22-02 While the sure-handed Newson is no longer available, they are fortunate to return senior Tyrone Calico, an intriguing pro prospect due to his size (6-3½ 218) and athleticism. He's hauled in 149 receptions for a 13.6-yard average and 13 TDs during his stay with the Blue Raiders.

OP
OP
X

X-29Fan

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardiac
I'd want the Cards to resign Jenkins and Sanders first.

The FA market is so active (except with the Cards) it's tough to keep up with who is still available, but Antonio Freeman would be a nice vet FA.

To me though the biggest need on the O is a QB who can throw a deep ball. This means Blake should be who the Cards target.

If the Cards (fingers and too many other body parts crossed to mention) sign Colvin, Holiday or Okeafor, Jackson, a vet CB / or Thorton and possibly vet LB then the D looks much better. Throw in drafting Suggs or Kennedy or Robertson or Newman in rd1 and now the D could be the strength of the team.

This gives the Cards a good to very good D and an O that has a chance to contribute.

A very good O-line, if C position addressed.
A very good RB
A QB who can throw the long ball and doesn't throw more picks then TD's.
A WR corp that has speed and should be able to stretch the D.
A TE corp that can block and make some contributions in the receiving game.

With Blake and Co. making a couple of big plays a game and the D actually stopping the opposition far more often and even getting some TO's this sounds a lot like some recent Super Bowl teams. No I don't think the Cards are going to the SB this year.

The key to this off season is not getting a stud WR, good thing since there is none out there at this point, but shoring up the D. The good news is that all of the player we wanted on that side of the ball are still out there.

I didn't mean to imply that they get a "stud" receiver (as you pointed out, there doesn't appear to be any out there), but a receiver (or two) that has had some success in the league.

Personally, I don't think that Sanders, Martay, and McAddley will scare anyone. I believe that opponents would stack the line of scrimmage, daring the Cards to throw the ball, while stuffing the Cards' running game.

In my post, I took for granted the Cards will bring a QB in that can contribute. I too, think Blake is among the best of a weak group of FA QB's.

pinnacle

Reaction score
My homer pick is justin gage of missouri..although from a practical standpoint we have enough young guys with tons of potential - so we probably need a veteran. Gage in my view gets an a plus in every category except speed..if we want a big brawler type receiver to replace boston..gage is that (but obviously slower). I think either mcaddley or gilmore will blossom..but gage was the #1 receiver at missouri for a few years and compiled some pretty big stats.. Gage was the 6th man (came off the bench) for a very good basketball team and quit the basketball team to focus only on football..

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not many to choose from but here are I think are still out there

FA WR's still available:

Qadry Ismial Colts 6'0" 196

Germain Crowell Lions 6'3" 216

Kevin Dyson Titans 6'1" 208

Oronde Gadson Miami 6'2" 215

Derrius Thompson Redskins 6'2" 216

Tai Streets 49ers 6'2" 206

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Originally posted by MadCardDisease
Not many to choose from but here are I think are still out there

FA WR's still available:

Qadry Ismial Colts 6'0" 196

Germain Crowell Lions 6'3" 216

Kevin Dyson Titans 6'1" 208

Oronde Gadson Miami 6'2" 215

Derrius Thompson Redskins 6'2" 216

Tai Streets 49ers 6'2" 206

My choices out of these guys would be:

Thompson, Gadsden, and Dyson

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
I really like Oronde Gadsden.
We already have speed in McAddley, Gilmore possibly Jenkins.
We need a possesion guy, and Gadsden could easily be that guy.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1612

I like Gadsden a lot, too. But I hear he's got a pretty serious problem with his foot?

BTW--Doesn't Graves look kind of ******** in that headshot?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to see what Sullivan and company could teach young players like Thompson or Streets. However I think they need to bring Dyson in just so they have a #1 guy to throw to.

Crowell is very interesting. For the right price I would love to give him a chance to be reunited with Sullivan, let him get healthy and maybe resurect his career.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Qadry Ismial Colts 6'0" 196, Germain Crowell Lions 6'3" 216, Kevin Dyson Titans 6'1" 208, Oronde Gadson Miami 6'2" 215, Derrius Thompson Redskins 6'2" 216, Tai Streets 49ers 6'2" 206
I didn't know Streets was on the market. He's the guy I like best out of this group.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
I think with our current problems at Wr, we have to take a guy on the first day. Currently, I would take Talico in the second round. He is a bit of a risk, but he has potential, especially from a size/speed standpoint.

We also should bring in a few veterans. I would bring in Derrius Thompson, Kevin Dyson, and last resort, Curtis Conway. Oronde Gadsden is an option also...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Qadry Ismial Colts 6'0" 196, Germain Crowell Lions 6'3" 216, Kevin Dyson Titans 6'1" 208, Oronde Gadson Miami 6'2" 215, Derrius Thompson Redskins 6'2" 216, Tai Streets 49ers 6'2" 206
I didn't know Streets was on the market. He's the guy I like best out of this group.

He's not. He is a restricted FA, and the Niners gave him at least the mid tender.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Did Quadry Ismail or Raghib Ismail retire recently.......one of them did due to a neck injury

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tyrone Calico, Tennessee State. He's the kid I mentioned the other day who had faster times across the board than Kareem Kelly of USC who's a track guy(ran a 10.2 hundred meters in highschool). Never seen Calico play but if he's faster and quicker than Kelly and 3 inches taller you gotta believe he's going to get some attention.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
i would love to have gadsden and dyson. You could get both for the amount of boston and they bring in playoff expierence. They both know what it takes to get there. Gadsden is a remarkable play maker and can make catches most others cant.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
BTW--Doesn't Graves look kind of ******** in that headshot?

No, he looks like Zacharrari Moussoui
The alqeada dude.

My choice on wr
Kassim Osgood wr san diego state
6'5 210

G---REC--YDS--AVG--TD--lng--YD/Game
13- 108-1552-14.4 - 8 - 87-- 119.4

A talented and tall wideout who will play one season at San Diego State after spending three seasons as a record-setter at Cal Poly… Listed as a starter at one wideout spot entering fall camp after an impressive spring… Was a preseason All-American at Cal Poly in 2001 before transferring to San Diego State.

At Cal Poly: The school's first I-AA All-American… As a sophomore he led the nation in receiving yards, was second with 125.2 receiving yards per game and sixth nationally with 7.6 catches per contest… Caught 83 passes as a sophomore… Set an NCAA I-AA record with 376 receiving yards in a game vs. Northern Iowa… Those yards came on a Cal Poly record 17 catches... Set another Mustang record with 14 touchdowns as a sophomore… Began his college career as a defensive back.

High School: Attended North Salinas and earned letters in football, basketball and track… Had 27 catches for 715 yards as a senior… Team captain and MVP.

Personal: Born May 20, 1980, in Boston… Son of Steve and Phyllis Driver… Winner of the Outstanding Citizenship Award… Has plans to become a surgeon... Majoring in sociology.

Here are the combine stats for osgood and calico. Osgood, is kind of slow...but HE CAN PLAY...He's one of those guys that doesn't have great quickness, but IS PRODUCTIVE.. HE JUST GETS IT DONE. So I'd like to see the cards draft him late. He'll be a steal. I wonder if he was injured or something, I thought I remember him being faster than that.

Player
School

Ht.----Wt.-----Bench----40-----VJ------BJ-----20sh----60sh---Cone

Calico,
Tyrone Middle Tennessee State

6-3 ¾ -223 --DNP ----4.34---- 38" --10'7"--- 4.20-- 10.99-- 6.72

Osgood, Kassim San Diego State

6-4 7/8 208 -DNP ----4.69 ----31"--- 10'2"-- 4.40--- 11.73 -7.19

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, Robinson isn't a free agent...yet. His agent has been authorized to discuss a trade and if no trade happens, he will likely get cut, probably a June 1 cut. I think the Cards should offer up a 4th rounder to the Bears for Robinson and see what happens. He has better than 4th round talent and he will finally be 100% healthy again this coming season.

He is stuck behind Booker, Terrell and White in CHI but was their #1 just a couple years ago before some injuries. Plus he is only 28.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
Tyrone Calico, Tennessee State. He's the kid I mentioned the other day who had faster times across the board than Kareem Kelly of USC who's a track guy(ran a 10.2 hundred meters in highschool). Never seen Calico play but if he's faster and quicker than Kelly and 3 inches taller you gotta believe he's going to get some attention.

see my post on the first page of this thread to see what the scouts are saying about him.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by MadCardDisease
I would love to see what Sullivan and company could teach young players like Thompson or Streets. However I think they need to bring Dyson in just so they have a #1 guy to throw to.

Crowell is very interesting. For the right price I would love to give him a chance to be reunited with Sullivan, let him get healthy and maybe resurect his career.

Folks, we have a winner!!!!

Crowell had a fantastic year about 3 seasons ago, when he was with Sully.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by X-29Fan
I didn't mean to imply that they get a "stud" receiver (as you pointed out, there doesn't appear to be any out there), but a receiver (or two) that has had some success in the league.

Personally, I don't think that Sanders, Martay, and McAddley will scare anyone. I believe that opponents would stack the line of scrimmage, daring the Cards to throw the ball, while stuffing the Cards' running game.

In my post, I took for granted the Cards will bring a QB in that can contribute. I too, think Blake is among the best of a weak group of FA QB's.

No biggy about the stud WR comment, really wasn't directed at you.

The reason our WR's didn't scare anyone last year was more due to Plummer then lack of speed at WR. If Blake is throwing bombs then the WR could run flat out and actually have to ball come within 15 yds of them. McAddley, Gilmore, and Jenkins have blazing speed. Kasper is far from slow and Sanders would be the possession receiver. Just keep running fly patterns while rotating the three speedsters and watch the opposing D's CB's and S's start to wear out.

Looks like we agree about Blake. :)

OP
OP
X

X-29Fan

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardiac
No biggy about the stud WR comment, really wasn't directed at you.

The reason our WR's didn't scare anyone last year was more due to Plummer then lack of speed at WR. If Blake is throwing bombs then the WR could run flat out and actually have to ball come within 15 yds of them. McAddley, Gilmore, and Jenkins have blazing speed. Kasper is far from slow and Sanders would be the possession receiver. Just keep running fly patterns while rotating the three speedsters and watch the opposing D's CB's and S's start to wear out.

Looks like we agree about Blake. :)

Agree that Plummer didn't scare opponents downfield.

Good post.

Last edited: