Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I posted this a few minutes earlier and 3 had already voted, but I realized several flaws with my last attempt and decided to revise it.......

Also, each one who votes can select as many genres as they so desire.....

I personally love everything but country, which also includes

Progressive
Industrial
Motown
50s music
Indi-Rock...etc.....I could go on and on......

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I put Techno, Grunge, and Other, because you didn't have "Electronica" down--Techno can kinda be part of Electronica, but the logic applies--most if not all Techno is Electronica music, but not all Electronica is techno.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
I put Techno, Grunge, and Other, because you didn't have "Electronica" down--Techno can kinda be part of Electronica, but the logic applies--most if not all Techno is Electronica music, but not all Electronica is techno.

Who do you consider to be "Electronica"? I guess who I believe fits that category....Perhaps... Kraftwerk, Money Mark (the one who played keyboard w/Beastie Boys, not to be confused with
Marky Mark), Fatboy Slim, Kid Koala, Moby etc.......

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woo hoo..punk is tied for first so far.

:D

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by KingLouieLouie
Who do you consider to be "Electronica"? I guess who I believe fits that category....Perhaps... Kraftwerk, Money Mark (the one who played keyboard w/Beastie Boys, not to be confused with
Marky Mark), Fatboy Slim, Kid Koala, Moby etc.......

Paul Van Dyk, Paul Oakenfold, Dieselboy, Carl Cox, DJ Dan, etc.

That's electronica.

I voted electronica. I used to listen to hip hop, but the negative side of hip hop turned me off as I got a little older (out of my teenage years). So electronica was the clear progression IMO.

Dieselboy is my favorite major DJ. He spins Drum & Bass/Jungle.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Thievery Corporation, the Dining Rooms, Morcheeba, Massive Attack--all Electronica and not Techno. Newer Moby (but not older) even can be in that group.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked other.

I listen almost exclusively to contemporary christian music of all sub-genres...worship, ska, rap, hip-hop, pop, rock, hard rock, etc.

Stuff like Kutless, Project 86, P.O.D., Chevelle, Switchfoot, Anberlin, Thousand Foot Krutch, Pillar, Casting Crowns, Superchick, Paul Colman Trio, Big Daddy Weave, John Reuben, tobymac, Relient K, Jennifer Knapp, Audio Adrenaline, Grits, Verbs (formerly Knowdaverbs), Pigeon John, Fiti Futuristic, KJ-52, Cross Movement, Paul Wright, Delirious, Newsboys, DCTalk, Tree63, Third Day, Salvador, the Katinas, Jars of Clay, Steve Taylor, etc. just to name a few. :D

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Thievery Corporation, the Dining Rooms, Morcheeba, Massive Attack--all Electronica and not Techno. Newer Moby (but not older) even can be in that group.

Do you like Aphex Twin? I'm not a huge fan of "intelligent dance music" or ambient.

I like stuff that rocks the dance floor (though I dance like a white boy on crutches :p).

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pop, hip hop and other (emo).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
Do you like Aphex Twin? I'm not a huge fan of "intelligent dance music" or ambient.

I like stuff that rocks the dance floor (though I dance like a white boy on crutches :p).

I'm not a big fan of Aphex Twin, I hear you about "intelligent dance music"--it seems so, I don't know, I don't want to call it "electronic" obviously, but that stuff always sounds experimental to me, and for someone that doesn't like drum-and-bass, I really don't like experimental noise.

Ambient's ok, but only for certain moods.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Aphex Twin, I hear you about "intelligent dance music"--it seems so, I don't know, I don't want to call it "electronic" obviously, but that stuff always sounds experimental to me, and for someone that doesn't like drum-and-bass, I really don't like experimental noise.

Ambient's ok, but only for certain moods.

I know what you mean.

:thumbup:

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, it seems everyone on here has a diverse interest in music....

Who are your favorite bands in those categories that have been voted on? (directed of course at those didn't name any specific bands ) :p

My personal favorites at the moment in each genre....

Punk/Ska/Reggae

The Police (heavily ska influence in the early years), Sublime,
No Doubt, Goldfinger, Rancid, Authority Zero, Bob Marley,
The Clash, Sex Pistols....Just to name a few.....

Classic Rock

The Beatles, The Who, Kinks, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix,
The Yardbirds, Steve Miller, Cream, Yes, Led Zeppelin...etc...could take me hours to list.

Hiphop

Roots, Mos Def, Talib Kweli

As far as other bands I have been listening to a lot recently or favorites...

Alice-in-Chains, J Geils Band, STP, Snot, Gomez, Soundgarden, Fear Factory, Type-0 Negative, Sebadoh, Supergrass, Folk Implosion, Monster Magnet, Meat Puppets, Faith No More, Ben Harper..etc.....

Okay, I promise to stop...At least for now....

Last edited:

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Punk #1
Classic rock #2

Most of the songs from my favorites list are classic rock, however.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Huge Weezer fan. And of course I love John Coltrane. Other faves in all genres:

Reggae-Dennis Brown, Beres Hammond, Sizzla, Spragga Benz, Lady Saw, Tanya Syephens, Sanchez.

Hip-Hop- Heiroglyphics, Jay-Z, The Roots, Common, Pharoe Monch, Rass Kass, Wu-Tang.

Rock- Radiohead, Afghan Whigs, Built To Spill, The Doors, Billy Joel, Steely Dan,

Soul- Earth, Wind & Fire, Curtis Mayfield, Stevie Wonder, The Dells, Marvin Gaye, The Delphonics.

Jazz-Pat Metheny, McCoy Tyner, Dave Holland, MJQ, Miles, Bill Evans, Wayne Shorter.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
John Tesh and a Kenny G battle for me thanks

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll "bump" this thread up since it's been more than a year since I initially posted it.....

Are most of you still listening to the same genres you posted about before or have since changed your taste all together?

Mine are obvious.... Classic Rock, Indie-Rock, Britpop, Punk, Heartland Rock, Soul, Blues, Prog-Metal, Reggae and Electronica in that order..... what are yours?

I must admit that one of the other reasons I have seldom posted much as of late is that I tend to get too absorbed into my preferences and overlooking others in the process..It's absolutely not done deliberately, but I guess it's pretty much human nature....

Last edited:

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I voted "other" because I didn't see a "rock" category. My vote goes for just good old plain "rock" whether it be 10 years old, a couple years old or out right now.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score

punk - mostly bands y'all haven't heard of - not MTV.
old school country like Merle.
heavy heavy metal - Slayer, Celtic Frost, Carcass, Emperor
old soul and funk - Curtis Mayfield, TOP, P-Funk.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser