Finalists for Hall of Fame 2011 - Aeneas Snubbed

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Finalists for Hall of Fame 2011 - Aeneas snubbed

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/2011/1/9/class-of-2011-finalists/

The Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee’s 17 finalists (15 modern-era and two senior nominees*) with their positions, teams, and years active follow:

Jerome Bettis– Running Back – 1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers

Tim Brown – Wide Receiver/Kick Returner – 1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Cris Carter – Wide Receiver – 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins

Dermontti Dawson– Center – 1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers

Richard Dent – Defensive End – 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles

Chris Doleman– Defensive End/Linebacker – 1985-1993, 1999 Minnesota Vikings, 1994-95 Atlanta Falcons, 1996-98 San Francisco 49ers

Marshall Faulk – Running Back – 1994-98 Indianapolis Colts, 1999-2005 St. Louis Rams

Charles Haley – Defensive End/Linebacker – 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys

*Chris Hanburger– Linebacker – 1965-1978 Washington Redskins

Cortez Kennedy– Defensive Tackle – 1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks

Curtis Martin – Running Back – 1995-97 New England Patriots, 1998-2005 New York Jets

Andre Reed – Wide Receiver – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins

*Les Richter – Linebacker – 1954-1962 Los Angeles Rams

Willie Roaf– Tackle – 1993-2001 New Orleans Saints, 2002-05 Kansas City Chiefs

Ed Sabol– Founder/President/Chairman – 1964-1995 NFL Films

Deion Sanders – Cornerback/Kick Returner/Punt Returner – 1989-1993 Atlanta Falcons, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1995-99 Dallas Cowboys, 2000 Washington Redskins, 2004-05 Baltimore Ravens

Shannon Sharpe – Tight End – 1990-99, 2002-03 Denver Broncos, 2000-01 Baltimore Ravens

First, congratulations to those who've made it there's always a brutal cut for these things and even decades later those who are worthy still can't make it.

That said, what the heck? I understand that Deon Sanders is amazing in many facets of the game but Aeneas is better and more worthy of Hall selection.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That said, what the heck? I understand that Deon Sanders is amazing in many facets of the game but Aeneas is better and more worthy of Hall selection.

no he's not. deion changed games, completely shutting down an entire half of a field, as well as changing games on st.

that being said, aeneas should definitely have made this cut if jerome bettis did... and actually should have regardless.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no he's not. deion changed games, completely shutting down an entire half of a field, as well as changing games on st.

that being said, aeneas should definitely have made this cut if jerome bettis did... and actually should have regardless.

Chris Doleman? Dermontti Dawson? Over Aeneas? If Aeneas was a Cowboy Steeler or 49er, he'd have been picked, no question.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Chris Doleman? Dermontti Dawson? Over Aeneas? If Aeneas was a Cowboy Steeler or 49er, he'd have been picked, no question.

Yeah Doleman is a bit on the borderline side.

Dawson I think should be a shoe-in. He had a hall of fame career with the Stealers.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's see, the definites:
Marshall Faulk-Had some great years in Indy and superb years in St. Louis.

Richard Dent-Dude was a flat out monster.

Deon Sanders-I hate the guy but he was legendary.

Willie Roaf-If Anthony Munoz is in, Roaf gets in. Guy was a monster at tackle.

Dermontti Dawson-I think he serves to get in but probably won't because not too many centers get in.

Chris Doleman-150 sacks makes him a no brainer.

Cris Carter-1100 receptions and 130 TD's, yeah, he gets in. When every 8 receptions is a TD, you get in.

Ed Sabol-I thought he was already in and how he isn't in is a mystery. The man, his son, and his company changed how we look at pro football and their films turned football into the artform it is.

Maybe
Jerome Bettis-I just don't think he had enough productive years to be considered a hall of famer. IN 13 years, he had 5 real mediocre seasons, including his last 4 where he was hurt all the time. If he makes it in, then Warner is a shoe in because they had similar career paths.

Cortez Kennedy-I'm on the fence about him. Perhaps it's the teams he played on.

Charles Haley-Knucklehead. I think he eventually gets in but not this year. Too many better than he.

Shannon Sharpe-He, too, will get in but not this year.

Curtis Martin-Maybe eventually he gets in. He was nothing else but consistent. When you average 1,200 yards a season for your career, you deserve to get in but not this year. Too many to choose from and he'll get lost in the shuffle.

Les Richter-Don't know enough about him.

Not Getting In
Tim Brown-The fact that he's nominated is strange. Yeah he has 100 TD's but he played for like 50 years to get there. Not good enough IMO. But then again, Art Monk got in with lower numbers than Brown so who knows.

Andre Reed-He was good, yes, but not good enough to be a hall of famer.

Chris Hanberger-No. Not good enough. Good, but not great. There's a reason why he's been snubbed all these years.

Last edited:

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah Doleman is a bit on the borderline side.
Christopher John Doleman (born October 16, 1961 in Indianapolis, Indiana) is a former American Football defensive end who played in the NFL for the Minnesota Vikings, Atlanta Falcons, and San Francisco 49ers from 1985 to 1999. He was an 8-time Pro Bowl selection and a 3-time First-team All-Pro during his playing days, recording 150⅓ career sacks.

That's on the borderline side? Wow. 4th all time in sacks is borderline. Ok.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's on the borderline side? Wow. 4th all time in sacks is borderline. Ok.

I personally didn't remember him as a dominant, game changing, type of d-lineman. 150 sacks is impressive, but I'm not alone in thinking he was just pretty good and not great. This will be his seventh year of eligibility and there has never been an outcry that he's been hosed.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I personally didn't remember him as a dominant, game changing, type of d-lineman. 150 sacks is impressive, but I'm not alone in thinking he was just pretty good and not great. This will be his seventh year of eligibility and there has never been an outcry that he's been hosed.

While there hasnt been an outcry for him to get in the hall, there really hasnt been an outcry on a national level about Aeneas getting in. The only outcry comes from those of a small minority: die hard Cardinal fans

OP
OP
SuperSpck

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
While there hasnt been an outcry for him to get in the hall, there really hasnt been an outcry on a national level about Aeneas getting in. The only outcry comes from those of a small minority: die hard Cardinal fans
Sando did say he was surprised he wasn't enshrined.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no arguing that Aeneas was 1st ballot HOF talent. He just played on the wrong team for that to occur. Sadly it shouldn't be that way but it is.