First Round Mock: What Teams Will But Should Do

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
This is essentially TWO Mocks. The WILL TAKE MOCK and THE SHOULD TAKE MOCK (once a player is taken in either, he can't be taken later).

1. LIONS. WILL TAKE: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest. SHOULD TAKE: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC. Curry may be the best player in the draft, so if the Lions take him they will be vindicated by the media. However, when a team has the unique chance to draft a franchise QB, especially a team that is not settled short and long term at the QB position, it behooves them to do so. Sanchez, IMO, is the best QB in this draft because of his accuracy, quick release and excellent progressions.

2. RAMS. WILL: Jason Smith, T, Baylor. SHOULD: T Eugene Monroe, Virginia. Smith has nimble feet, but Monroe has the better combination of size, strength and agility. Note: If the Rams hadn't forced this move by releasing Orlando Pace, they would have been able to take Sanchez...and quite frankly, as a Cardinal fan I am happy they won't. It's mind-boggling to me that Marc Bulger has lasted in good graces as long as he has in St. Louis, in that he's been injury-prone and hasn't put up many good stats and wins.

3. CHIEFS. WILL: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech. SHOULD: LB Curry. Will most likely be NFL Offensive ROY. There's no way Todd Haley passes on this kid, nor should he. His selling point to Scott Pioli is "look at what we did in Arizona exploiting mismatches in the passing game." However, if Pioli has his way it woud be hard to pass up the best LB in the draft, especially with stop-gap signees Mike Vrable and Zach Thomas in the fold.

4. SEAHAWKS. WILL: Chris Wells, RB, Ohio St. SHOULD: Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn. St. The RB combo of Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett does not inspire and the Seahawks miss the old running attack with a stud like Shaun Alexander. However, maybin would be the perfect replacement for the departed Julian Peterson, and when Patrick Kerney went out last year, the Seahawks saw how diminished their pass rushing pressure was. Note: I didn't put QB mark Sanchez as the SHOULD because he's already off the board in the SHOULD Mock. Otherwise, the Seahawks woul;d be crazy not to take him (especially with Hasselbeck's back) ...but they will go with Wells instead.

5. BROWNS. WILL: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC. SHOULD: RB Wells. Amazing that two years ago with Anderson going to the Pro Bowl and Quinn champing at the bit to play and beat Anderson out, that the Browns are already looking for a QB upgrade. IMO, the better choice for them this year is Wells, the local OSU icon, and to hand with Anderson and Quinn, thinking one of them might have a good year. Jamal Lewis is past his prime and fading fast, thus adding Wells would be a boost.

6. BENGALS. WILL: Eugene Monroe, T, Virginia. SHOULD: T J. Smith (seeing as Monroe was already taken on the SHOULD Mock). The Bengals make out great here and get the best all-around tackle in the draft.

7. RAIDERS. WILL: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri. SHOULD: WR Crabtree. Speed, baby, speed. But Crabtree will be the better more productive WR.

8. JAGUARS. WILL: Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi. SHOULD: WR Maclin. While the pundits don't have Perry rated this high, Jack Del Rio does after he closely scouted Perry at the Senior Bowl. Perry fits their DT mold better than B.J. Raji. Even thought the Jags signed WR Tory Holt, to pass on Maclin, with all of his speed and skills would be a mistake. Note: do not be surprised if the Jags trade down from here, seeing as they will likely think they can still take Perry later...and this spot might be a hot one for one of the 2 QBs Stafford or Sanchez.

9. PACKERS. WILL: Aaron Maybin, OLB/DE, Penn. St. SHOULD: Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Texas. Maybin is the right fit, and if he's gone they will take Orakpo.

10. 49ERS. WILL: Rey Maualuga, LB, USC. SHOULD: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia. Mike Singletary won't be able to pass on Rey Rey. It will be interesting to see how well Singletary gets Rey to patch up the holes in his game. But, in light of their unsettled QB situation, with Stafford sitting there, they'd be smart to take him. But they won't because Stafford wouldn't answer the 49ers' questions about his parents' divorce and how that might have psychologically traumatized him. Unreal.

Picks 1-10 Recap:

WILL/SHOULD

1. DET: LB Curry/QB Sanchez
2. STL: T J. Smith/T Monroe
3. KC: WR Crabtree/LB Curry
4. SEA: RB Wells/DE Maybin
5. CLE: QB Sanchez/RB Wells
6. CIN: T Monroe/T J. Smith
7. OAK: WR Maclin/WR Crabtree
8. JAX: DT Perry/WR Maclin * (Possible Trade for Stafford here)
9. GB: DE Maybin/DE Orakpo
10. SF: LB Maualuga/QB Stafford

11. BILLS. WILL: Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas. SHOULD: T Andre Smith, Alabama. The Bills figure they will still be able to pick up a good tackle at #28.

12. BRONCOS. WILL: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia. SHOULD: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College. If Stafford falls into their laps here, the pick is a no brainer. If not, bolstering their defensive line with Raji makes a good deal of sense.

13. REDSKINS. WILL: Andre Smith, T, Alabama. SHOULD: T Michael Oher, Mississippi. The slide for Andre Smith stops here as Lou Saban assures Daniel Snyder that it's the absolute right thing that "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington."

14. SAINTS. WILL: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia. SHOULD: RB Moreno. The Saints get a terrific replacement for Deuce McCallister, who was released but hasn't as yet jumped off the Tallahachee Bridge.

15. TEXANS. WILL: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College. SHOULD: DT Perry. The Texans are buiding one juggernaut of a defense and Raji slides right in next to Antonio Smith.

16. CHARGERS. WILL: Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut. SHOULD: RB Brown. The Chargers can't risk passing on Brown because he might be the only remaining RB on their roster next year or two if Sproles bolts (pun intended) for FA and LT retires. Plus Brown is a nifty pass receiver which will allow him to fit in nicely with Rivers and the offense.

17. JETS. WILL: Everette Brown, DE, Florida St. SHOULD: DE Brown. Ryan's first pick will delight the Jets' fans in NYC.

18. BRONCOS. WILL: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU. SHOULD: DE Jackson. Will allow the Broncos to shift over to the 3-4, if they decide to commit to it.

19. BUCCANEERS. WILL: Michael Johnson, DE/OLB, Georgia Tech. SHOULD: DE/OLB Johnson. Raheem Morris will try to light a fire under Johnson in an attempt to revive a stagnant pass rush.

20. LIONS. WILL: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas St. SHOULD: DE Robert Ayers, Tennessee. The pressure will be on the Lions to atone for passing on Stafford. They do so by taking Freeman and implying he was their guy all along. Freeman is a gamble here, however, and the Lions have a glaring need at DE...which they will surely attempt to address at #33.

21. EAGLES: WILL: Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee. SHOULD: Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina. The Eagles have been wanting to add an every down DE for a while now and Ayers is just that. Yet, the way the Eagles have been coveting Anquan Boldin, they would be passing up a chance to draft the WR in this class who most resembles Boldin.

22. VIKINGS. WILL: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio St. SHOULD: CB Jenkins. The Vikiings are the masters of letting the draft come to them. Right about now Mel & Co. will be expressing their amazement that jenkins or any DB has not been taken yet. Jenkins is a good fit at a need area.

23. PATRIOTS. WILL: Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest. SHOULD: CB Smith. The best cover CB in this draft lands in Foxborough.

24. FALCONS. WILL: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma St. SHOULD: TE Pettigrew. The Falcons were shaking in their boots thinking the Pats would take Pettigrew, the player the Falcons have wanted from the start.

25. DOLPHINS. WILL: James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio St. SHOULD: LB Laurinaitis. A true fit at a need position for the Fins.

26. RAVENS. WILL: Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina. SHOULD: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois. This is a tantalizing pick for the Ravens. But they just brought Nicks in for a workout and they see the Q in him and won't have to surrender picks and big money. Their need at CB is more pressing, however, but they were coveting Alphonso Smith and the Pats beat them to him.

27. COLTS. WILL: Ziggy Hood, DT, Missouri. SHOULD: DT Hood. The Colts were hoping for Perry, but like the aggressive Hood for their system. The draft is weak at DT so the Colts know they'd better get one here.

28. BILLS. WILL: Michael Oher, T, Mississippi. SHOULD: C Alex Mack, California. By passing on a tackle at #11, the Bills have to take one here and Oher is a nice surprise. has they taken a tackle at #11, adding Mack at C would have been a first round bonanza.

29. GIANTS. WILL: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers. SHOULD: WR Britt. Absolute need pick. Should be well received by Giants' fans who saw Britt star in the Meadowlands for Rutgers.

30. TITANS. WILL: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida. SHOULD: WR Harvin. Wow, Chris Johnson in the backfield and Percy Harvin in the slot...talk about speed and take-it-to-the-house ability.

31. CARDINALS. WILL: ??? YOUR PICK. SHOULD: ??? YOUR PICK. I will chime in with mine later...although I think most of you can predict mine by now. Likely options:

OLB34: Larry English, Connor Barwin, Clint Sintim, Paul Kruger.

C: Alex Mack, Max Unger, Eric Wood

T: Ebon Britton, William Beatty

RB: LeSean McCoy, Shonn Greene

FS: Louis Delmas

I would imagine, if given these options, that most of the board would select Larry English, OLB34, Northern Illinois. However, I have a hunch that Connor Barwin, OLB34, Cincinnati, because of his speed and tremendous versatility, has a very good chance of being the pick. The thing about Barwin is he is so fast (4.5 at 6-4, 255) he'd be great in coverage and could even be Dansby's replacement next year. Plus, Barwin blocked three punts last year, and was an All Big East TE.

But, you make the call and give your reasons.

32. STEELERS. WILL: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois. SHOULD: Max Unger, C, Oregon. Steelers tab their replacement for Bryant McFadden here and are surprised to see Davis still on the board, although they are very tempted to take Mack or Unger.

Last edited:

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is essentially TWO Mocks. The WILL TAKE MOCK and THE SHOULD TAKE MOCK (once a player is taken in either, he can't be taken later).

While you are scoffing down a pb and jelly on whole wheat toast , riddle me this: what happens if some of your should's become wills??? I think you need a third scenario..should...will...should
You must be registered for see images

OT: My famiy just finished a delictable plate of lox, eggs and onions, fresh bagels, apple turnover, and fresh ground cofee...my wife got up early to make it for us!!

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont think a single one of those picks are right and am willing to bet you 15,000 A$FN on it.

You've got a better chance of seeing Detroit pass on their first pick than taking Curry.

Last edited:

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I dont think a single one of those picks are right and am willing to bet you 15,000 A$FN on it.

You've got a better chance of seeing Detroit pass on their first pick than taking Curry.

If I had the $$$ I would redouble and say he has at least two right counting both will and should..they are quite logical in my book.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude, but the "will" portion of your mock is possibly the worst I have seen. I like that you are taking chances and not just regurgitating what all the other mocks are saying, but I think it's way off.

Of course I guess I can't declare it the worst I have seen until the actual draft takes place. That said, my prediction of your projection is it will be the furthest from what actually happens of any mock on the board.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Walter, I don't get how Detroit picks Curry , then you have KC in the Should've taken Curry catagory? He'd be off the board in your senario.:shrug:

Stafford doesn't impress you?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Walter, I don't get how Detroit picks Curry , then you have KC in the Should've taken Curry catagory? He'd be off the board in your senario.:shrug:

Stafford doesn't impress you?[/quot

I proably didn't explain how this works well enough. The WILL is a draft unto itself...as is the SHOULD.

Curry goes #1 to the Lions in the WILL. And #3 to Chiefs in the SHOULD.

Sorry for the confusion...I probably should have done them separately, but that would take much longer.

I like Stafford, but I think Sanchez is the better QB. I just have a gut feeling that the Lions will take Curry at #1 and then look to take Josh Freeman at #20. The Lions themselves have been wavering and waffling for weeks now. Everyone expects them to cave in and take Stafford and that might indeed happen. But, many feel Curry is the best player in the draft and if the Lions like Freeman or another QB to take later, then I think they go with Curry.

BTW...picks 11-23 are now up on the first page.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice read. Haven't a clue myself except for one thing. You are right that QB Mark Sanchez should be the #1 pick of the draft.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Stafford doesn't impress you?[/quot

I proably didn't explain how this works well enough. The WILL is a draft unto itself...as is the SHOULD.

Curry goes #1 to the Lions in the WILL. And #3 to Chiefs in the SHOULD.

Sorry for the confusion...I probably should have done them separately, but that would take much longer.

I like Stafford, but I think Sanchez is the better QB. I just have a gut feeling that the Lions will take Curry at #1 and then look to take Josh Freeman at #20. The Lions themselves have been wavering and waffling for weeks now. Everyone expects them to cave in and take Stafford and that might indeed happen. But, many feel Curry is the best player in the draft and if the Lions like Freeman or another QB to take later, then I think they go with Curry.

BTW...picks 11-23 are now up on the first page.

Thanks for clarification. I see the 9ers taking a QB for sure. If not they trade with the Jets, who would definately there.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
14. SAINTS. WILL: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia. SHOULD: RB Moreno. The Saints get a terrific replacement for Deuce McCallister, who was released but hasn't as yet jumped off the Tallahachee Bridge.

:lol: You'r aging yourself Mitch.

For everyone else, you want to explain that line.

Who sang that?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think that Sanchez had much less talent than Leinart had at SC?

Probably not. Sanchez is simply more talented than Leinart in every respect and has shown more sooner. In my opinion, of course. With so few starts in college, Sanchez has a lot to learn.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Probably not. Sanchez is simply more talented than Leinart in every respect and has shown more sooner. In my opinion, of course. With so few starts in college, Sanchez has a lot to learn.

Sanchez is the better athlete...but, as Skkorp says, his mere 16 college starts is a tough thing for scouts and pundits to evaluate...Leinart certainly passed the test of time at USC...while we can only specualte whether Sanchez would have.

BTW all 32 picks are up now on the first page. You all will be asked to give us your choice for the Cardinals at #31. To me it looks like a choice between English, Barwin and Sintim.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

That's the question on him. He proably has a lot of upside, but Leinart was more polished coming out , I think.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
BTW all 32 picks are up now on the first page. You all will be asked to give us your choice for the Cardinals at #31. To me it looks like a choice between English, Barwin and Sintim.
I say if Cards do trade with Baltimore they should draft English AND Barwin...

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

I agree sanchez is a better prospect talent wise. I don't get how you can state the bolded though. Did you even follow Matts career at SC?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
16. CHARGERS. WILL: Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut. SHOULD: RB Brown. The Chargers can't risk passing on Brown because he might be the only remaining RB on their roster next year or two if Sproles bolts (pun intended) for FA and LT retires. Plus Brown is a nifty pass receiver which will allow him to fit in nicely with Rivers and the offense.

31. CARDINALS. WILL: ??? YOUR PICK. SHOULD: ??? YOUR PICK. I will chime in with mine later...although I think most of you can predict mine by now. Likely options:

I would imagine, if given these options, that most of the board would select Larry English, OLB34, Northern Illinois. However, I have a hunch that Connor Barwin, OLB34, Cincinnati, because of his speed and tremendous versatility, has a very good chance of being the pick. The thing about Barwin is he is so fast (4.5 at 6-4, 255) he'd be great in coverage and could even be Dansby's replacement next year. Plus, Barwin blocked three punts last year, and was an All Big East TE.

32. STEELERS. WILL: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois. SHOULD: Max Unger, C, Oregon. Steelers tab their replacement for Bryant McFadden here and are surprised to see Davis still on the board, although they are very tempted to take Mack or Unger.

- First off, the Chargers will not take Brown. It's a little bit of a reach and with LT and DS, no way. Olshansky left, and they have holes in the D. With Tyson Jackson still on the board, even more improbable.

- If for the Cardinals pick, Vontae Davis is on the board, he would EASILY BE the BPA. That would be my pick. He's young, only 20, so we'd have to have as much patience with him as we had with DRC. But we'd have the best tandem in football in a year, IMO. He could even play FS in certain situations when Wilson is wildbirding and Rolle moves over to SS. He'd give us gobs of options in the D backfield. To much talent at a prime position in the NFL.

McFadden would be the initial corner, then would free up Wilson to roam, with either him or Davis moving to the FS spot on passing downs.

But I don't see him being there. And I do see Brown being there. So between Brown, English and Barwin, I'd have to say I'd go with English. I think we can address the running game with another C/G in the 2nd and a possible RB in the 3rd. Dang, I hate passing on Brown though. :bang:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Trade Boldin, take Larry English 1a, IF TE Brandon Pettigrew is gone. Then, Connor Barwin 1b next.

Shonn Green in the second.