Fisher Injured, May miss 6 weeks.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
la times said:
Lakers' Fisher has partially torn tendon in foot

template_bas
template_bas

[COLOR=#333333 ! important]Point guard will try to play through an injury that normally requires six to eight weeks of rest.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#999999 ! important]By Mike Bresnahan, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
March 29, 2008 [/COLOR]
Derek Fisher has a partially torn tendon in his right foot, an injury that typically requires six to eight weeks of rest, although the Lakers point guard will try to play through it.

An MRI exam Friday confirmed that Fisher injured his peroneus longus tendon after pushing off the foot while changing direction in Wednesday's game against Charlotte.

You must be registered for see images
Soldiering on
You must be registered for see images
click to enlarge

"I feel good enough to see if I can help the team," Fisher said. "That's basically what the decision is going to be based on, is how I feel out there and whether I can really be effective enough to be a positive influence on helping us win games. If at any point I start to feel like I can't do that, then I'll make a decision at that point."

Fisher said he initially felt tightness under his foot a couple of weeks ago that was similar to the sensation of plantar fasciitis, which is painful swelling in the arch of the foot. The flash point came against Charlotte, although further damage cannot be done to the tendon, Lakers officials said.

"If this happened during the middle of the season or something like that, he would probably rest for six to eight weeks in order to heal," team spokesman John Black said Friday. "It's a pain and inflammation thing. If he can play, he'll be on anti-inflammatory and pain medication, and try to play through it."

The Lakers will officially list Fisher as day-to-day.

Fisher, 33, has been a steadying influence in the locker room during his second tour with the Lakers. He was averaging 12 points and 2.9 assists before Friday and has played in all 73 games this season.

If Fisher's injury eventually sidelines him, Jordan Farmar will pick up a majority of his minutes. Sasha Vujacic would also assume some ball-handling duties.

"My concern is more about Fish and his health," Farmar said. "But if need be, I'll step in and try to help this team win any way I can."

------

Kobe Bryant's 15 technical fouls easily lead the league. Golden State guard Baron Davis and Detroit forward-center Rasheed Wallace each have 11.

Wallace received two one-game suspensions last season, after picking up his 16th and 18th technical fouls, as per NBA rules.

Bryant, like Wallace, would be suspended one game if he picked up a 16th technical foul in the Lakers' last nine regular-season games.

The count resets in the playoffs for all players, who are allowed six technical fouls before being suspended for a game if they pick up a seventh.

"We appreciate his energy he puts in the ballgame, but equanimity is important," Coach Phil Jackson said. "This is a good time to practice it."

------

Chris Mihm was thrust into Friday's game against Memphis after DJ Mbenga fouled out with 32.3 seconds left in the third quarter. Mihm, who had not played since Dec. 23, suited up but was not expected to play. He received a standing ovation when he came in but was scoreless in five minutes.

Mihm had not felt pain in his surgically repaired right foot since a screw was removed from his heel last month.

looks like he'll try to play through it, but that may be a tough one to get through. Think about the playoffs...can he really guard Deron Williams, Steve Nash, and the rest of the great guards of the west with a foot injury? only time will tell, i suppose.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to feel bad for the Lakers and all their injury problems. The Suns have had the injury bug the last two seasons and it just breaks the spirit of the fans because you know your team wasn't at it's when it mattered the most.

OP
OP
arwillan

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
You have to feel bad for the Lakers and all their injury problems. The Suns have had the injury bug the last two seasons and it just breaks the spirit of the fans because you know your team wasn't at it's when it mattered the most.

agreed. i don't like the lakers, but i can't say i wouldn't be disappointed if they lost in the post season because of injuries to gasol, bynum, mihm, kobe, and fisher. Very unfortunate

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You have to feel bad for the Lakers and all their injury problems.

No thank you. No one felt bad for the Suns when they had injury problems.

Suns fans are so used to bad luck that we tend to forget it's supposed to even out over time. This is a tiny step toward settling the score.

The Lakers have had far, far more than their share of good luck over the past 25 years, with the gift-wrapped Gasol being only the most recent scratch ticket winner. Of course I feel bad for Fisher that his foot hurts, but feel bad for the Lakers? You have to be kidding.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't have to and i don't.:)
They've still got the best scorer/one-on-one player in the game and thats enough for me to hope that we can avoid that trap of a playoff series all-together thank you.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score

Suns fans are so used to bad luck that we tend to forget it's supposed to even out over time. This is a tiny step toward settling the score.

The Lakers have had far, far more than their share of good luck over the past 25 years, with the gift-wrapped Gasol being only the most recent scratch ticket winner. Of course I feel bad for Fisher that his foot hurts, but feel bad for the Lakers? You have to be kidding.

Exactly.

Don't feel bad when Karma decides to take action, feel bad for the foot pain. The Memphisgate(copyrighting that) scandal is being balanced out by multiple injuries and the inability to apply chemistry to the most stacked team in the conference.

The Gasol curse is just getting started.

OP
OP
arwillan

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
I don't have to and i don't.:)
They've still got the best scorer/one-on-one player in the game and thats enough for me to hope that we can avoid that trap of a playoff series all-together thank you.

he's injured as well.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
he's injured as well.

Or is he?

Around my house we sometimes suspect a phenomena we call "flu-like symptoms". It's when a player is reportedly injured or sick but will play through it...only to go off on the opponent and score 50 or pull 28 rebounds, or something. We often get suspicious of the injury then...Jordan appeared to be a master of this. Get your opponent to let down a little bit, thinking you are injured or sick...then bust out on him. Is Kobe doing a 40-game version of Jordan's "flu-like symptoms"?...no he's just that good...darnit.

As for feeling bad for the Lakers...um...no.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I would feel bad if not for the gasol trade.

How can you feel bad for a team that pulled off the greatest coup of a trade that I can ever remember? They don't give up any of their top ten players and get a guy who takes them from a solid team to maybe the perennial favorite to win a title for the next five years?

lakers are going to have plenty of chances at title(s) the next several years, I have no problems with injuries preventing this from being one of those years.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score

:thumbup:

Feel bad for the Lakers? The only Suns fan who would feel bad for the Lakers is a fan who just became one in the past 3 years.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
well first they got fisher. that was kind of a gift.
"oh my daughter is sick, release me, i'll move to LA for medical care for my daughter"
"oh im living in LA, what teams play here?, oh the lakers. i might as well sign a deal since i'm here. thanks for letting me go utah".

then they get gasol for nothing as well.

fisher was an upgrade to what they had.

oh well, it happens. we suns fans know it all to well. anything can still happen.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
Without their luck of aquiring Fisher (the situation for Derek Fisher that forced him to sign with the Lakers was tragic and unlucky for him, though) and the Gasol- steal, we wouldn't even consider L.A. to be a contender.

I feel never bad for this team. One of the luckiest in NBA history. And these injuries are just minor and won't hinder them too much when it matters most.

Compare that to Phoenix' loss of Ceballos in the NBA Finals in 1993, JJ in 2005 for the Western Conference Final, to Amaré missing the whole of 2006 and the ridiculous "loss" to San Antonio last year.

No, I'd never feel sorry for the Lakers. And even with injuries, they will get some special treatment in the postseason.
Remember how they became the first team to lose 5 games in a best-of-seven series in 2006?

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
well first they got fisher. that was kind of a gift.
"oh my daughter is sick, release me, i'll move to LA for medical care for my daughter"
"oh im living in LA, what teams play here?, oh the lakers. i might as well sign a deal since i'm here. thanks for letting me go utah".

Yeah, Fish probably hoped his baby daughter would get a cancerous tumor behind her eye so that he could get out of his contract with Utah and sign with the Lakers. :sarcasm:

Idiot.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
Or is he?

Well, he is wearing that bridge on his fingers. I don’t know why he’d wear something that restricts his movement if he didn’t have a legitimate injury.

I think the league should investigate West helping the team his heart is with this ridiculous lopsided trade...

West left the Grizz last year. The GM who made the Gasol trade is Chris Williams.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, Fish probably hoped his baby daughter would get a cancerous tumor behind her eye so that he could get out of his contract with Utah and sign with the Lakers. :sarcasm:

Idiot.
well there was a lot of sarcasm in my post. you obviously missed the point. the lakers rec'd fisher. utah was generous enough to release him due to his unfortunate circumstance.

he moved to LA for treament. the lakers picked him up. he's better than what they had there, and better than the bench guys.

idiot.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Without their luck of aquiring Fisher (the situation for Derek Fisher that forced him to sign with the Lakers was tragic and unlucky for him, though) and the Gasol- steal, we wouldn't even consider L.A. to be a contender.

I feel never bad for this team. One of the luckiest in NBA history. And these injuries are just minor and won't hinder them too much when it matters most.

Compare that to Phoenix' loss of Ceballos in the NBA Finals in 1993, JJ in 2005 for the Western Conference Final, to Amaré missing the whole of 2006 and the ridiculous "loss" to San Antonio last year.

No, I'd never feel sorry for the Lakers. And even with injuries, they will get some special treatment in the postseason.
Remember how they became the first team to lose 5 games in a best-of-seven series in 2006?
^^

he gets it.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:

Feel bad for the Lakers? The only Suns fan who would feel bad for the Lakers is a fan who just became one in the past 3 years.

:rolleyes:

Right lets revel in the misfortune of others then bitch about our own.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

Right lets revel in the misfortune of others then bitch about our own.

The absense of feeling bad for a team doesnt resort to revelry... I don't think indifference in this situation is out of line, which is what most posters are inferring.

Its not that we're are happy they have these injuries, its that we simply dont feel bad for them.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Idiot.
You mean to be closer to the doctors who live in NEW YORK? I live in Utah, and this subject gets rehashed on the radio every time the Lakers and Jazz have gotten together this season. The Jazz feel lied to and jilted. Fisher needed to be in NY, he said to them. They let him go, and less than a week later he is signed by the Lakers. A little "Fish"y, the Jazz fans say.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05