Flagstaff, Arizona in late July: 10 reasons why its my favorite place in the world!!

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
First, let me clarify that I live in what may be the most boring, non pictuesque part of the United States. For those of you who see the mountains and canyons of the wonderful state of Arizona every day, you may think I am a little off in saying this, but to me, your state is the most breathtaking place I have ever seen! You see, I reside in west-central Illinois. Home to corn fields, bean fields, mosquitos, knats, deer flies, 95% humidity in the summer, and sub zero temperatures in the winter. The only reason I stay is because of the wonderful people and also because living in such a drab area really teaches me to appreciate places such as the wonderful state of Arizona.

I love Flagstaff, and I can't hide my love for this wonderful oasis any longer because for the first time in 6 years, me and my family get a chance to come back and visit! The last time I was here, Dave McGinnis was head coach, Wendell Bryant was holding out, David Boston was 260 pounds and getting bigger, and Raynoch Thompson was considered a "core" player. How times have changed!

Here are my 10 reasons why Flagstaff is the greatest place on Earth:

1. Cardinal fans: It's so cool to see Cardinal fans everywhere you go.

2. Hope: Training Camp is the place of perpetual hope. Hope for a successful season, hope that the rookies pan out, hope that the super bowl is just as attainable for us as any of the other 30 plus teams out there.

3. The weather: Damn it's nice to get out of the humidity for a few days! A simple, yet completely satisfying memory of Flagstaff: seeing my breath due to the 48 degree temperatures at 5:30 a.m. in morning. Sitting outside my hotel room, sipping a steaming hot cup of coffee, and thinking of only one thing; what Cardinal shirt will I wear to camp today!

4. The smell of the pondersosa pines: The sweet vanilla smell is so refreshing especially when I am used to the smell of hog and cattle farms back home.

5. The walk to training camp from my hotel: This year we are staying at the Sleep Inn at Woodlands Village. It's only a 10 minute walk to NAU and I get goosebumps thinking about the excitement I feel the first time we take that walk to camp.

6. See the joy on my 8 yr. olds face when he finds out we are going to Flag: My son is as rabid a fan as I am, and my wife and I have decided to keep the trip to Flagstaff a secret. I can't wait to see his reaction the first time he gets to see Quan and Fitz up close. A dad's dream!

7. Buffalo Park: As beautiful a city park as there is anywhere in the world! The views of the San Francisco peaks at dusk are breathtaking. You can take the loop around the park, or if you have time take one of the trails that leads into the mountains. The huge rock formations and boulders on the mountain trails are a little kids dream.

8.Mt. Eldon Lookout Trail: A strenuous, yet fun filled hike to the top of Mt. Eldon. The round trip takes about 4 hours. There is a lookout tower on top and you can see for miles. It's less strenuous then the hike to the top of Humphrey's Peak but just as fun. The lower elevations have huge boulders to climb on.

9. Oak Creek Canyon: Awesome hiking trails, views of the canyon are breathtaking.

10. The backdrop of Cardinal red, the beautiful green practice fields, and the mountains in the distance. A photographers dream. My wife has a picture we took 8 years ago of the practice fields, players, and Mount Eldon in the background that is simply awesome!

I admit that I am a major geek! Never been to one of the Flagstaff drinking establishments, but I've heard they are alot of fun as well. I hope to see some of you guys in a few weeks.

Reaction score
Very nice post, Holian. What dates are you planning to be at TC? I think I am going up Aug. 1st and 2nd.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Great posting Holian, you have the ability to put in words what some of us only dream of.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holian said:
You see, I reside in west-central Illinois. Home to corn fields, bean fields, mosquitos, knats, deer flies, 95% humidity in the summer, and sub zero temperatures in the winter. The only reason I stay is because of the wonderful people

Having lived in SE Illinois a goodly portion of my life, I can verify this description, especially about the wonderful people.:thumbup:

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
The toursim office here in Flag literally could not have paid anyone to do a better write up of training camp. Great job Holian.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Great post!

The year I went they trained in Prescott. Nice, but apparently not quite the same.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
The part about the smell of the trees really made me homesick and hate DC so much more than I already did.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Can't believe you left out the Kachina Peaks. God lives there.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 reasons why its my favorite place in the world!!

10 Cardinals football

9 Cardinals football

8 Cardinals football

7 Cardinals football

6 Cardinals football

5 Cardinals football

4 Cardinals football

3 Cardinals football

2 Cardinals football

1 Cardinals football

Captain Matt

Registered
Reaction score
10 Reasons I'd rather be in Flagstaff than in the middile of the North Pacific on a US Navy ship:

1. All of the reasons listed in this post
2. Maybe I'd get to see my family
3. The last time I was there was with Holian under the Mac regime, and this team HAS TO BE BETTER THAN THAT TEAM
4. It's cold outside (really, really cold)
5. There nothing but ocean for about 600 miles in every direction
6. I could sleep in
7. I could take long hot showers
8. Barnes and Noble and the Half-Price Book Store
9. Walnut Creek Canyon (the one south east of town with the cave dwellings)
10. The ground doesn't move there

Seriously though, to all of you going: Have a great time! And for those of you who are on the fence - GO! Just go!. My brother (Holian) and I used to go in the summers back when the Cards were training at Eastern Illinois University. I think, that in no small way, that is why he went to Eastern. It left such and unforgettable impression on our young minds.

Right now I am serving as a ballastic missile intercept test officer on various US Navy ships and I love my job, but there was a Cardinals-related angle to my taking this assignment. After proving myself on several missions now, the office which makes our missiles in Tucson has already pre-screened me for a job there. And a job in Tucson gets me a heck of a lot closer than any other job in the Navy.

I won't physically be there with you all this year, but I'll always be there in spirit.

Have fun and GO CARDS!!!

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Having lived in SE Illinois a goodly portion of my life, I can verify this description, especially about the wonderful people.:thumbup:

I spent the first 21 years of my life in Southern Illinios and can verify the description as well. And yes the people are wonderful however being related to half of them makes living there unbearable:)

cardfan

Registered
Reaction score
Going to go to the scrimmage in August--can't wait. Love Flagstaff and seeing the Cardinals up close! Going to 3 out of 4 preseason games as well.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting life, Lieutenant. Steaming square circles someplace where it's very cold in mid-July within 600 miles of something not liquid.

Guessing at your age, about early 40ies, your rank is higher than Lieutenant. Be careful, I know the Navy eats well and officer messes can be very good.

Have you put yourself on the waiting list for season tickets?

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
Interesting life, Lieutenant. Steaming square circles someplace where it's very cold in mid-July within 600 miles of something not liquid.

Guessing at your age, about early 40ies, your rank is higher than Lieutenant. Be careful, I know the Navy eats well and officer messes can be very good.

Have you put yourself on the waiting list for season tickets?

What What are you saying there Skkorp. No only the officers eat really good. The E-1 to E-6 galley food is very very bland. Only once in a blue moon do we ever get surf and turf. I was the Supply LPO on numerious AS and AGF in the navy.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What What are you saying there Skkorp. No only the officers eat really good. The E-1 to E-6 galley food is very very bland. Only once in a blue moon do we ever get surf and turf. I was the Supply LPO on numerious AS and AGF in the navy.

Didn't know that. When I was floating about the world as a jarhead, racking 4 deep in an LST, we couldn't believe how well the Navy ate.

Real eggs. Ice cream.

Maybe things have changed.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't know that. When I was floating about the world as a jarhead, racking 4 deep in an LST, we couldn't believe how well the Navy ate.

Real eggs. Ice cream.

Maybe things have changed.

I ate on a Navy ship long after you and the food sucked. I stayed at the navy hospital for a week in SanDiego to go through a battery of tests. Food sucked at the chow hall their too.

Air Force food is what its all about! Bar none!

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Holian, you are not a nerd. You are pretty cool.

the Leiutenant, thank you for your service. It might not mean much to alot of people but you are respected amongst my family and friends.