Football fans advised of changes to parking plan

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carrie Watters
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 15, 2007 07:35 AM

Last year was the hard part.

Many Arizona Cardinals fans learned more than they probably ever thought they would know about the West Valley when the team's state-of-the-art stadium opened a year ago in Glendale.

Fans heading to the NFL team's preseason home opener against the Houston Texans on Saturday afternoon at University of Phoenix Stadium should find only tweaks in parking and traffic plans.

Still, officials advise to plan ahead.

"Arrive early and plan out a route prior to arriving," city traffic engineer Debbie Albert said.

In interviews with The Glendale Republic, team and city officials highlighted those changes.

Question: Will the stadium still use a color-coded parking system?

Answer: Yes. Season ticket holders are assigned to specific color-coded parking lots.

One change to watch for is that season ticket holders have eaten up the brown lot at Glendale and 91st avenues, previously used for single-game ticket holders.

Those without hang tags can park nearby at Kellis High School on 91st Avenue. A shuttle will run from both Kellis and the brown lot two hours before the game and one hour afterward.

Q: What time do lots open and close?

A: Lots open four hours before kickoff and close one hour afterward.

Q: The lot closes one hour afterward, but what if fans want to walk to Westgate City Center after the game?

A: That's fine.

"They're not going to be towed and they're not going to be locked in," team spokesman Mark Dalton said.

City officials are hoping the opening of more bars and restaurants at the adjacent Westgate complex will ease the mass exodus after games.

Q: Can I park my RV in the public lot at Kellis School?

A: No. RV owners who don't already have a pass for Lot F could be out of luck - the lot for oversized vehicles is sold out.

Q: Will the new exit off Loop 101 be open?

A: The north ramps at Bethany Home Road are now open. This gives fans four entryways and exits off the freeway: Camelback and Bethany Home Road from the south, and Glendale and Northern avenues from the north.

Q: Any changes on side streets around the stadium?

A: After the game, there will be reversible lanes on Maryland Avenue west of 95th Avenue, with four of the five lanes dedicated to westbound traffic.

Q: Will up-to-date traffic information be available?

A: The city will have message boards posted and information is available by calling 511.

Rules to remember

• No vehicles will be admitted into University of Phoenix Stadium lots until four hours before game time.

• Guests cannot pay to access parking areas on game day.

• Parking on residential streets for stadium events is discouraged, and event traffic through neighborhoods is not allowed.

• Natural gas or propane grills are permitted, but charcoal grills are not.

• Glass containers are not permitted in any parking area or at Sportsman's Park, including the Great Lawn.

Tailgating activities are not allowed to resume after Cardinals games.

WTF? :shrug:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and resume them, f that.

Make it so big they cant break it up.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Glass containers are not permitted in any parking area or at Sportsman's Park, including the Great Lawn.

This isn't good either.

Most of the best malt beverages don't come in cans. Neither does wine or whiskey. A Budweiser ploy disguised as a safety measure.

That was likely a rule last year but nobody knew it.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn't good either.

Most of the best malt beverages don't come in cans. Neither does wine or whiskey. A Budweiser ploy disguised as a safety measure.

It was a rule last year I think, but nobody cared.

Just like I don't care about this non-continuation policy. Good luck with that one!

Derm

slippery when wet
Reaction score
This isn't good either.

The bar will STILL be open - just some of the inventory will be under the seats...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It was a rule last year I think, but nobody cared.

Just like I don't care about this non-continuation policy. Good luck with that one!

What do they mean by that anyway? I would guess they don't want you to put your canopies and other assorted tailgating stuff back up but it would still be ok to stand around your vehicle after the game?????

Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score
i have never been to a cards game and i am going to the game on saturday...any reccomendations on where to park or should i just park at that high school?`

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
What do they mean by that anyway? I would guess they don't want you to put your canopies and other assorted tailgating stuff back up but it would still be ok to stand around your vehicle after the game?????

Hey, I will pull out a chair and some beverages before we go home. It is ridiculous to ask people not to tailgate after the game when traffic is at a standstill for a good hour after the game. When they fix the traffic flow, then we can talk.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn't good either.

Bring your glass, just dont be an idiot. Dont break any bottles. If you break one, clean it up. Most of these rules are meant for morans.

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score

Last year we left our canopies out and tailgated hours after games, the best way to arrive and leave (early/late). Never deal with the S#$% traffic

Team G

Big Red Surfer
Reaction score
i have never been to a cards game and i am going to the game on saturday...any reccomendations on where to park or should i just park at that high school?`

If you don't have a pass then it looks like you have to park at the High School. I would look for a pass on EBay or see if one of the bars has a shuttle bus.

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
This isn't good either.

It technically was a rule at SDS also. As long as you are not making a spectical it should not be a problem. We have always brought bottled beer and I cant remember ever having anyone say anything about it.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
should i just park at that high school?`

Even when we had parking passes last year we usually just parked in the high school lot and either took the buses or walked to the games. We used to walk from Curry/Scottsdale Rd to SDS, so the walk is no big deal. The buses are pretty well organized and have their own dedicated route to the parking lot near the stadium.

We parked there because it was easier to get out of after the games, although we hung around for a bit after the games too.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No tailgating preseason this year.
drinking a couple beers in the truck with the engine running and AC on...

I hear ya. I think we are cutting it down to about 45 minutes outside on Saturday, with a canopy and spray bottles.