Frank Sanders......Gone!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Sanders was the best

Of all the Cardinals that won't be in red next year, I will miss Sanders more than Plummer or Boston... best of luck Frank!

CLASS ACT!!! A Pro's Pro like Williams was.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
This so-called 'Plan' of Graves has turned into a complete disaster thus far. The Cards have upgraded neither of the two major areas (DE/WR) in this years free agency.

Be Patient? puhhhlease! Signing an aging QB, a special teams/nickel LB, and an unproven safety does nothing for the fact that this team has huge glaring weaknesses on both sides of the ball!

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great!! Now he can drop the passes that hit him in between the 8 & 1 on his jersey for Brian Billick! Nice guy yes - marginal football player! Hope Redmon can get you the ball Frank!! I know you'll catch it if it's anywhere except in the numbers!!

BTW - Mr. Graves 1 less WR & still no pass rusher... Yeah I'm stoked for training camp!!!

pinnacle

Reaction score
The way I heard it on KDUS..the hosts were implying we kind of let frank sanders walk...we could have probably easily outbid the ravens..but chose not to.. I do not know if it was because a 4 year contract was way too long for frank..or we really did not want frank back very much...which makes me wonder what our plan is for a veteran receiver..

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinnacle
The way I heard it on KDUS..the hosts were implying we kind of let frank sanders walk...we could have probably easily outbid the ravens..but chose not to.. I do not know if it was because a 4 year contract was way too long for frank..or we really did not want frank back very much...which makes me wonder what our plan is for a veteran receiver..

If that plan involved not signing Frank Sanders - then it will be the first of Graves' plans that I agree with - now go find out if Marcus Robinson is really healthy or not and if he is - SIGN HIS ASS!

pinnacle

Reaction score
cheesebeef..do you work for KDUS? They were agreeing with letting frank sanders walk (bob kemp anyway)...he was pointing out frank's production keeps dropping and he is no longer worth much..

rtjim

Registered
Reaction score
I seem to recall many poeple on this board wanting the Cards to cut Frank over the last couple of years. I know I was one that thought his salery was too high and his production to low. Bidwill was getting slammed for being old fastion and honoring contracts. Now they let Frank walk and poeple are crying that we dont have a plan or experence at WR like Frank is the best WR option out there! If we dont pick up a vet before training camp then I will worry, until then I guess I will just read all of the posts from poeple thinking that the sky is falling because a #2 at best #3 WR on most teams that dropped WAY TOO many 3rd down passes is now gone. If they would have bid agianst the Ravens poeple would have said they paid too much, and that we shouldn't have signed him to such a long deal! I guess you just cant please some poeple.

OK Flame away:thumbup:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by rtjim
I seem to recall many poeple on this board wanting the Cards to cut Frank over the last couple of years. I know I was one that thought his salery was too high and his production to low. Bidwill was getting slammed for being old fastion and honoring contracts. Now they let Frank walk and poeple are crying that we dont have a plan or experence at WR like Frank is the best WR option out there! If we dont pick up a vet before training camp then I will worry, until then I guess I will just read all of the posts from poeple thinking that the sky is falling because a #2 at best #3 WR on most teams that dropped WAY TOO many 3rd down passes is now gone. If they would have bid agianst the Ravens poeple would have said they paid too much, and that we shouldn't have signed him to such a long deal! I guess you just cant please some poeple.

OK Flame away:thumbup:

No flames here. I will miss his attitude but can anyone here seriously say he would have been the difference on the WR corps this season. He does join the list of ex Cards I wish good fortunes to, but I'm not concerned he's gone.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardiac
No flames here. I will miss his attitude but can anyone here seriously say he would have been the difference on the WR corps this season. He does join the list of ex Cards I wish good fortunes to, but I'm not concerned he's gone.

That pretty much sums it up for me too.

OP
OP
WizardOfAz

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ravens, WR Sanders agree to deal

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Moving to bolster their passing game before the draft, the Baltimore Ravens on Wednesday evening culminated weeks of courtship with free agent wide receiver Frank Sanders, reaching agreement in principle with the former Arizona Cardinals standout on a four-year contract.

One of three unrestricted wide receivers targeted by Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome at the outset of the signing period, Sanders will arrive later this week in Baltimore to sign the contract. Because there are minor details to be worked out, financial terms were not yet available.

Agent Eugene Parker told ESPN.com last week that a decision by Sanders, on whether to re-sign with the Cardinals or accept the Ravens offer, was to come soon and emphasized a deal would be completed before the draft.

The acquisition of Sanders, 30, alleviates the need for the Ravens to reach for a wide receiver in the draft. The Ravens, who statistically ranked 27th in the league in passing offense in 2002, had just one wide receiver, third-year pro Travis Taylor, catch more than 60 passes.

The other starter, Brandon Stokley, had just 24 receptions. Even in his worst career season in 2002, Sanders caught more passes than that. He will add a steady hand and a still-viable intermediate threat for the Ravens.

Plagued by nagging injuries, Sanders struggled in 2002 and posted career worsts in most major categories, including appearances (12), starts (12), receptions (34), receiving yards (400) and yards per catch (11.8). But clearly the Baltimore staff feels he still has some productive seasons remaining.

"Frank has been labeled, fairly or unfairly, as a possession receiver," Ravens receivers coach David Shaw said. "I label Frank as a good receiver. To me, good receivers play for a long time, get open, and catch the ball. That's what Frank has done for eight years now."

The former Auburn star, selected in the second round of the 1995 draft, had played his entire previous career with the Cardinals. He had acknowledged to friends that leaving the franchise would be difficult for him.

In eight years, he had 493 catches for 6,579 yards and 24 touchdowns. His best stretch came in 1997-98, when he posted a combined 164 receptions for 2,162 yards and seven touchdowns. Sanders caught more than 50 passes in each of his first six seasons in the league and was noted as a clutch third-down performer, a very physical and acrobatic receiver.

He has played in 123 games and started 120 of them.

The Ravens had also considered free agents David Boston and Curtis Conway earlier in the signing period, but the former went to San Diego and the latter to the New York Jets.

Sanders visited with Baltimore officials last month and then, for the next four weeks, deliberated over the offer and weighed his options. Newsome hinted that there was an urgency to come to a resolution this week.

"We have an experienced guy now who can provide some leadership, can teach our (young) guys what it takes to work at this level, and what it takes to prepare from week to week," Newsome said.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1540063.html

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
If that plan involved not signing Frank Sanders - then it will be the first of Graves' plans that I agree with - now go find out if Marcus Robinson is really healthy or not and if he is - SIGN HIS ASS!

Robinson is under contract with the Bears and it doesn't appear the team will release him.

pinnacle

Reaction score
I cannot remember when..but I thought that when frank switched agents (from pat dye jr. to parker/barnes) a year or two ago it was a sign he was not coming back when his contract was up.....but Emmit smith used the same agents - so I guess my assumption was wrong that we cannot work with them..

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seeds Of Hate
Robinson would make a great #2 to Muhsin Muhammed....

And this pretty much sums it up for me. I think the Cards should get them both signed and then the Offense is more than set, it will be a force.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardiac
And this pretty much sums it up for me. I think the Cards should get them both signed and then the Offense is more than set, it will be a force.

No to Crowell. I would take Robinson and Muhammad but prefer Robinson if I have to choose 1.

Blake's arm can stretch out downfield and things will start happening nicely.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Re: Sanders was the best

Originally posted by Jetstream Green
Of all the Cardinals that won't be in red next year, I will miss Sanders more than Plummer or Boston... best of luck Frank!

CLASS ACT!!! A Pro's Pro like Williams was.

We could have used Frank. He was a good guy from start to finish. With all our needs at receiver it is strange we could not reach a deal with Frank.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It looks more and more to me like the Cards set a price they would be willing to pay and were firm on not going over that.
From what has been posted so far, my guess would be that they may not have been too eager for a 4 year contract and it may have been more that than the money.
That's just pure speculation on my part however.

I do like the way he has left with class.
He has never burned any bridges and made disparaging remarks about the Cards.
That's the one thing that still irritates me about Aeneas. I still say there was no call for some of the remarks he made when and just after he left. It tarnished his image to me.

Good luck to Frank. I have always liked him and I do think the team will miss him, he is a class act.

PS. Barnes and Parker suck donkey eggs. :D

Last edited:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always liked Frank Sanders and wish he were still on the team. But, what can you do? Best wishes to him.

Now let's get moving and get some damn receivers for this team!