Free Agency this summer

Mad Psyentist

Reaction score
I guess we can add Atlanta to the list of teams that are gonna compete with us in free agency. Im starting to get worried now that there will be more teams with tons of cap space this summer besides us. I also think that more teams, such as GS, will be trying to get more cap room as well.

I guess this all worries me, not so much as a competition for Kobe because I think Kobe had already decided where he wants to play. Its that if we plan to go after mid-tier players like Okur, camby, etc...other teams will jack up their price. The last thing i think anyone wants is to overpay more stars that dont do enough for their team or dont live up to their salary.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Say we dont get Kobe (and Id be TOTALLY fine wiht that) WHy do we have to spend the money at all?

Id rather be in ecellent position financially so when the right player does come along we can make a push for him rather than blow the wad for the sake of blowing it, ala Googs (though I did like the signing for what it was).

Theres no need to spend the money on a second teir player if his sole purpose is to get to the first round of the playoffs and then get ousted. Save it for a guy you have a firm belief will be able to get you a ring.

Otherwise its just spending for spendings sake. ANd thats how we got here in the first place.

My .02

OP
OP
M

Mad Psyentist

Reaction score
Honestly, I feel the same way...I dont remember where it was, but I think JC stated he already had plans to spend and be active in this years free agency, which is what worries me. I would also rather see him not spend rather than spend for the sake of spending.

scotsman13

Reaction score
personally, i think that the suns should draft their players and look at one mid range free agent role player and get out of worrying about kobe or any big name free agent.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
This is the offseason for the Suns to be active.

They can still use their MLE in the next seasons which they couldn't if they stay 6M$ under the cap or more.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
This is the offseason for the Suns to be active.

They can still use their MLE in the next seasons which they couldn't if they stay 6M$ under the cap or more.

A lot depends on the length of the contracts. One or two year contracts to guys like Divac and Dale Davis retain flexibility.

BTW, it is important to remember that cap space is often better used in balancing trades rather than straight FA. Neither SAR nor Ratliff were going to be FA's this summer, but they were traded for cap space. Some of these deals can be better than FA deals.

In any case, I doubt that Atlanta will make a huge spash in the FA market this summer. Most of the better players will avoid the Hawks like the plague.

Since no one believes that Sheed Wallace will stay in Atlanta, he will be the major wild card this summer. Unless he willing to settle ofr mid cap, his options are very limited: Utah, Denver, Clips, and Phoenix. No one thinks Utah would be interested and few imagine that the Colangelos would accept him either. Clips seem unlikely; so the Nuggets would have the best chance. This could put Camby into play.

Another possibility would be for Atlanta to do a sign and trade. The most likely prospect would be Dallas that tried very hard to do a deal with Portland. Unfortunately for the Hawks, Dallas is loaded with guys with VERY expensive long term contracts.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Wallace has made a pile of money to this point. I could definitely see him taking the MLE to play with the Mavericks if he thought it would be a good situation for him.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
Wallace has made a pile of money to this point. I could definitely see him taking the MLE to play with the Mavericks if he thought it would be a good situation for him.

You may be right. I'm old enough to remember when $5 million sounded like real money. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05