Free Agents still available

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Here's a handy list of some remaining FAs. I divided it according to the Suns' needs and the player's usefulness in filling that need.

Combo Guard

Decent: Flip Murray, Marcus Banks

Reach: Jiri Welsch, Tony Delk, Arvydas Macijauskas*, David Wesley, Chucky Atkins, Fred Jones (R), DeShawn Stevenson, Eddie House

Utter Desperation: Darrell Armstrong, Antonio Burks, Anthony Carter, John Lucas III

Shooting Forward

Decent: Jumaine Jones

Reach: Devean George, Keith Van Horn, Darius Songaila (R), Jared Jeffries, Matt Barnes

Utter Desperation: Othella Harrington, Toni Kukoc, Trevor Ariza, Qyntel Woods

Center

Decent: Lorenzen Wright, Melvin Ely (R)

Reach: Scot Pollard, Reggie Evans

Utter Desperation: Jake Voskuhl, Michael Olowokandi, Kelvin Cato, Aaron Williams, Loren Woods

If I forgot somebody, I'm sure I'll hear about it. ;)

Last edited:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Jones or Banks would be nice pick-ups. Hopefully we can get one. If we do I will be fine with this offseason.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
I like Banks, Stevenson, Butler, Jones, and Williams personally. I'd like Murry too, but he really can't do much unless the ball's in his hands. Nobody knew who he was until Ray Allen got hurt and Murray was put in as the starting SG. When Allen came back and Murray went back into his shooting shell (couldn't hit to save his life). Then he got traded, and still, nothing spectacular about him. So, putting him in your "Decent" category should go more towards the "Desperation" category.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
How? hes a undersized old SG.
And Salmons was a PG?? Diaw and Leandro are PGs?

He's a vet with experience and could fill the roll on a limited basis.

Banks would be good too.

Ain't much in the FA crop this year.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
Only ones from that list i would even think about are Marcus Banks, Jared Jeffries,Keith Van Horn and Scott Pollard.

I think Van Horn could be a Tim Thomas lite in our system.

Banks would be a legit backup to Nash, and is young enough that if he keeps improving he could be our future starting PG when Nash starts to wear down.

And Pollard is a great hustle,blood and guts guy to have come off the bench and grab some boards while using up his 6 fouls.I've always liked the way he plays the game.Waaaay better than Burke.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Only ones from that list i would even think about are Marcus Banks, Jared Jeffries,Keith Van Horn and Scott Pollard.

I think Van Horn could be a Tim Thomas lite in our system.

Banks would be a legit backup to Nash, and is young enough that if he keeps improving he could be our future starting PG when Nash starts to wear down.

And Pollard is a great hustle,blood and guts guy to have come off the bench and grab some boards while using up his 6 fouls.I've always liked the way he plays the game.Waaaay better than Burke.

Money will be an issue with all of them.

Nasser22

Reaction score
Why does everyone keep hating on Burke. He's just there to make the locker room and bench be a more enjoyable place for the players. He's great for the minimum. He doesen't have to play. He's the best bench warmer in the league. :)

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Banks at this point, is the best option.

Question looms now, which teams are still in the hunt for a PG?

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
You also fogot the following (that would work well in our system):

C...Ely (r)
PF...Gooden (r)
C...Elson (r)
SG/SF...Dermarr Johnson
SG/SF...Calbert Cheney
SF/PF...Justin Reed (r)
SF/PF...Scott Padgett
SG/SF...Trevor Ariza (r)
C...Tony Battie
SG/SF...Matt Barnes
PF/C...Chris Wilcox (r)
PG/SG...Milt Polacio

Key...... (r) = Restricted free agent

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Give me Banks and Wright, and I'm happy. Although, I'm not sure how much Wright has left.

Van Horn is ok, I guess.

NastyOne

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Money will be an issue with all of them.

Maybe, but we did offer Salmons close to $4Mil, so we should have enough to get anyone of those guys.Maybe even two.

NastyOne

Reaction score
Seriously though, why the hell did we sign Piatkowski over guys like Padgett and Kukoc?

I still don't understand why we signed him so early into the freeagency period.

NastyOne

Reaction score
BillsCarnage said:
That's what the pollack is for.

Uggh, Atleast Van Horn has some athletic ability and can run with us.

Only thing the Polish B.B Gun can do is spot up in a corner and hope for Nash to find him wide open.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Maybe, but we did offer Salmons close to $4Mil, so we should have enough to get anyone of those guys.Maybe even two.

There is what the Salmon's offer looks like:

1 3.50
2 3.85
3 4.20
4 4.55
5 4.90
Total 21.00

This is about the most the Suns can give in a sign and trade using the TE.

A full MLE is more like:

1 5.00
2 5.50
3 6.00
4 6.50
5 7.00
Total 30.00

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
I'll take Banks, but why Wright?

He'll cost too much and he sucks.

I wasnt thinking about price, but pure ability alone. I always remembered Wright giving Amare fits. Lord knows the Suns could use someone who actually plays defense.

Nasser22

Reaction score
Kurt Thomas played defense very well with us during the season. He's fine as our center. I really don't like Wright, probably because he was my worst pick on my fantasy team, heh...

"Seriously though, why the hell did we sign Piatkowski over guys like Padgett and Kukoc?

I still don't understand why we signed him so early into the freeagency period."

So they look like they are doing something.

NastyOne

Reaction score
Would anyone else here do a sign and trade with Cleveland sending them Kurt Thomas for Drew Gooden signed for $7-8Mil per over 4 years?

Nasser22

Reaction score
Kurt Thomas is way too important to this teams defense to trade for Gooden right now. I wouldn't worry about the future cap problems just yet. The Suns need to win now and Kurt Thomas is a bigger part of the team then people give him credit for.

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
lol..if KVH came here i would seriously contemplate dropping the suns. that guy is a waste of a jersey. i was cheering every time dallas brought him in.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
jlove said:
You also fogot the following (that would work well in our system):

C...Ely (r)
PF...Gooden (r)
C...Elson (r)
SG/SF...Dermarr Johnson
SG/SF...Calbert Cheney
SF/PF...Justin Reed (r)
SF/PF...Scott Padgett
SG/SF...Trevor Ariza (r)
C...Tony Battie
SG/SF...Matt Barnes
PF/C...Chris Wilcox (r)
PG/SG...Milt Polacio

Key...... (r) = Restricted free agent

Elson is signed and Battie isn't a FA. Gooden and Wilcox are both out of the Suns' price range--even if they were of interest to the Suns, it would be as trade targets, not FA pickups. DerMarr and Padgett have histories w/Phx that suggest the Suns won't look at them. The other guys don't qualify even as desperation choices (I actually like Justin Reed, but he's exactly what the Suns don't need.)

I added Ely, Ariza and Barnes. :)

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
krispydude said:
lol..if KVH came here i would seriously contemplate dropping the suns. that guy is a waste of a jersey. i was cheering every time dallas brought him in.

If you quit rooting for the Suns every time they waste a jersey, it's no wonder you only have 20 posts...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05