From Keith Jackson so consider the source

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jackson apparently has a national radio show and per USC fans revealed some inside stuff this morning.

1) Why didn't USC take TO to get the TD challenged when Young's knee went down? Because the replay equipment was malfunctioning and Pete was told they couldn't review the play in the booth! If true that's unreal, hell just show the damn thing on the jumbotron, it's a National Championship game.

2) Admitted he confused John David Booty with the LB, said he never actually said Booty was warming up just said that Carroll was telling him to get ready.(I swear I heard him say Booty was warming up).

3) Says Leinart was clearly out of it in the first half they tried to get information from USC but were refused by USC. He says he assumes USC didn't want Texas to know leinart was having problems but nobody from USC told them that they simply said they weren't going to talk to reporters during the game. Says after the game he and Fouts talked to Leinart and he was still having trouble focussing. He claims Fouts told him afterwards he's seen that look before in the NFL, when a guy has a concussion.

4) Said Carroll told them there were 2 reasons he didn't punt, first as stated first down ends the game. Second, he said they were terrified Texas would block the punt. That's something I hadn't thought of Texas did block 9 kicks this year. Said USC had been saying all this week they were scared of Texas' special teams.

5) Said USC alums like Lott and Marcus allen were just gushing about Young after the game. ESPN mentioned this too, said they were all saying it was the most dominant performance they'd seen in ages.

Sounds like that may have been his last game broadcasting, he didn't say it but he apparently said something like if it is, what a game to end it on.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Leinart had a concussion and still managed to put up the numbers he did, that's pretty durn impressive, IMO.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Was it just me or was Jackson blatently pimping for USC all night? It was to the point of irritating on the girlfriend/sister Fiesta Bowl farce level.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
If Leinart had a concussion and still managed to put up the numbers he did, that's pretty durn impressive, IMO.

I agree. I just don't think ability to play with a concussion is something I like in a 22 year old QB. But even if he was just wobbly that 2nd half was just amazing given that.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pariah said:

I agree. The guy just has "it" He has the drive, the moxy, the poise, the intangibles that most Qb's only dream of. He doesn't have the strongest arm, or the 4.3 speed, but as someone pointed he has very good feet and unbelievable pocket awareness. GOD I wish we could get him.

Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
Was it just me or was Jackson blatently pimping for USC all night? It was to the point of irritating on the girlfriend/sister Fiesta Bowl farce level.
I hate listening to Jackson announce a game, because he is constantly pimping for USC... even when they are not one of the teams playing!!! He has been doing it for years.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
I hate listening to Jackson announce a game, because he is constantly pimping for USC... even when they are not one of the teams playing!!! He has been doing it for years.

That's a new rule in broadcasting. In basketball it'd Dick Vitale talking about Duke in a game between any two teams in the country no matter how good the game is.

"Yeah that was a hell of a shot by Brandon Roy, reminds me of my boy JJ Redick down there with the Cameron Crazies Baby!"

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
he did say booty was warming up and i was like, what the hell!?!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry all but I still like Keith Jackson. He is a legend and still IMO one of the best. He teams well with Dan Fouts. He is not what he was but then neither am I. :thumbup:

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
I'm sorry but Jackson, despite his legendary status, needs to retire. He sounded horrible. He sounded confused and lost at times. Little senility kicking in.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Billy Flynt said:
I'm sorry but Jackson, despite his legendary status, needs to retire. He sounded horrible. He sounded confused and lost at times. Little senility kicking in.
Agreed. He is probably the best college football announcer of all time, but the game seems to be too fast for him now.

Did anyone else hear Jackson complaining that no time ran off the clock on Texas's two-point try? Fouts was trying to be diplomatic and said something like, "Well, I believe the clock is stopped during a conversion attempt". I hope Jackson hangs it up.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The camera shot showed Carroll talking to Brian Cushing LB #10. Jackson said Carroll was telling Booty to warm up.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't like Leinart at all.

Especially the fact that he is showing signs of having concussion syndrom at 22. Pretty soon everytime the kid gets touched on his helmet he'll have a glazed look in his eyes.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
The camera shot showed Carroll talking to Brian Cushing LB #10. Jackson said Carroll was telling Booty to warm up.

Yeah I posted that earlier after seeing it on a USC site. Jackson did admit that but he denied he said Booty was warming up. I don't know if he did or not but I thought he did.

Since at that point I was already convinced Leinart was woozy, I was pretty convinced Jackson was right but he clearly was wrong.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Keith Jackson needs to retire.Of course it will be about the 4th time he has retired.I remember him crying on ABC about 5 years ago going into retirement and then he was back the next year.He's getting alot like Pat Summerall at then end of his career always missing players, rooting for 1 team, and just overall confused at some points in the game.