Frozen

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frozen

Release Date: November 22, 2013 (LA; wide release: Nov. 26, p.m. screenings)
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures
Director: Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee
Screenwriter: Jennifer Lee
Genre: Adventure, Animation
MPAA Rating: PG (for some action and mild rude humor)

Starring: Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Jonathan Groff, Josh Gad, Santino Fontana, Alan Tudyk

Plot Summary: From the studio behind "Tangled" and "Wreck-It Ralph," Walt Disney Animation Studios presents "Frozen," the most daring comedy-adventure ever to hit the big screen. When a prophecy traps a kingdom in eternal winter, Anna (voice of Kristen Bell), a fearless optimist, teams up with extreme mountain man Kristoff (voice of Jonathan Groff) and his sidekick reindeer Sven on an epic journey to find Anna's sister Elsa (voice of Idina Menzel), the Snow Queen, and put an end to her icy spell. Encountering mystical trolls, an amazing and comedic snowman named Olaf, Everest-like conditions and magic at every turn, Anna and Kristoff battle the elements in a race to save the kingdom from destruction.

The film is directed by Chris Buck ("Tarzan," "Surf’s Up") and Jennifer Lee (screenwriter, "Wreck-It Ralph"), and produced by Peter Del Vecho ("Winnie the Pooh," "The Princess and the Frog"). Featuring music from Tony®-winner Robert Lopez ("The Book of Mormon," "Avenue Q") and Kristen Anderson-Lopez ("In Transit"), "Frozen" journeys into theaters November 27, 2013, in Disney Digital 3DTM in select theaters.

You must be registered for see images attach

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
On the suddenly existing scale of quality throwback Disney Princess movies this one sits comfortably between Brave (which I liked) and Tangled (which I loved). It contains a classic Disney setup and quality songs made even better by Kristen Bell and some Broadway veterans. It's fun all the way through...though the resolution is a bit too tidy...even for a story this brazenly old fashioned. OK, here's my Man card.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
On the suddenly existing scale of quality throwback Disney Princess movies this one sits comfortably between Brave (which I liked) and Tangled (which I loved). It contains a classic Disney setup and quality songs made even better by Kristen Bell and some Broadway veterans. It's fun all the way through...though the resolution is a bit too tidy...even for a story this brazenly old fashioned. OK, here's my Man card.

As long as you went with a child your man card is safe.

No child....

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I took my daughter to this yesterday. She loved it and I found it interesting enough to keep my attention, which says a lot for an animated movie. Songs were good and the reindeer and snowman were funny.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

good to hear they are pumping out memorable movies though vs the Disney films I have seen lately.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My kids loved it. Although they are touting a review that says it's better than Tangled. It's not. However, I have hope for Disney yet. People said that Disney would turn PIXAR into a churn and burn internal division. The exact opposite has happened. Some of PIXAR's methods have actually bled into Disney's Animation Studio division thanks to John L.

There might be hope for the Star Wars franchise yet.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My kids loved it. Although they are touting a review that says it's better than Tangled. It's not. However, I have hope for Disney yet. People said that Disney would turn PIXAR into a churn and burn internal division. The exact opposite has happened. Some of PIXAR's methods have actually bled into Disney's Animation Studio division thanks to John L.

There might be hope for the Star Wars franchise yet.

Except the Pixar product since the change has been mediocre at best.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except the Pixar product since the change has been mediocre at best.

Agree to disagree but JL has had an impact running the animation division. How can that be disputed?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Agree to disagree but JL has had an impact running the animation division. How can that be disputed?

What do you mean? Regardless of Lasseter or not, the last 3 Disney Studios product has been superior as a whole than the last 3 Pixar products. Do you disagree?

Tangled
Wreck-It-Ralph
Frozen

vs.

Cars 2
Monsters University
Brave
(I don't include Planes because that was originally envisioned as a Direct-To-DVD release--and it wouldn't help the argument anyway)

I'd say that even if you liked Brave, Disney animation has blown away Pixar in recent history.

If you want to consider it all the same company, feel free, but then you can't turn around and single out Pixar when they do something spectacular. The Pixar brand has not done too well since the merger.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard brave was good and havent seens monsters univ but monsters inc was good. I hated cars one so w/e on cars, planes, trains, automobiles, turbo, etc.

yet to see tangled, wreck or frozen. Wreck looks fun though.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean? Regardless of Lasseter or not, the last 3 Disney Studios product has been superior as a whole than the last 3 Pixar products. Do you disagree?

Tangled
Wreck-It-Ralph
Frozen

vs.

Cars 2
Monsters University
Brave
(I don't include Planes because that was originally envisioned as a Direct-To-DVD release--and it wouldn't help the argument anyway)

I'd say that even if you liked Brave, Disney animation has blown away Pixar in recent history.

If you want to consider it all the same company, feel free, but then you can't turn around and single out Pixar when they do something spectacular. The Pixar brand has not done too well since the merger.

I thought Brave was fantastic, Monsters was good and Cars 2 was well...not that good. Tangled was great, Wreck it Ralph good and Frozen was good. However, "recent" must include Toy Story 3 and Up which were fantastic.

Having said that what I meant was that I read an article that JL would be making changes on the Disney side to adopt PIXAR practices for developing stories. In addition, he slowed down the churn and burn of cheap Disney straight to video releases.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I thought Brave was fantastic, Monsters was good and Cars 2 was well...not that good. Tangled was great, Wreck it Ralph good and Frozen was good. However, "recent" must include Toy Story 3 and Up which were fantastic.

Having said that what I meant was that I read an article that JL would be making changes on the Disney side to adopt PIXAR practices for developing stories. In addition, he slowed down the churn and burn of cheap Disney straight to video releases.

Those were the last 3 of each studio. Why do you have to add older ones to bolster your argument? The point is that the last year to two years Disney Animation has done better than Pixar. IMO.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those were the last 3 of each studio. Why do you have to add older ones to bolster your argument? The point is that the last year to two years Disney Animation has done better than Pixar. IMO.

Why do you get to pick and choose what is "recent" to bolster yours? Add the two previous Disney efforts and it starts to look lopsided. Besides, aside from Tangled I probably have a slightly lesser opinion of the other two.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why do you get to pick and choose what is "recent" to bolster yours? Add the two previous Disney efforts and it starts to look lopsided. Besides, aside from Tangled I probably have a slightly lesser opinion of the other two.

Um, what? The argument is that since the merger with Disney, Disney product has been better than Pixar product. Am I missing something here?

Historically, there's no question that over the past 15 years Pixar has been much better--but that's not what we are talking about.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, what? The argument is that since the merger with Disney, Disney product has been better than Pixar product. Am I missing something here?

Historically, there's no question that over the past 15 years Pixar has been much better--but that's not what we are talking about.

Actually we are talking about two different points here. One is JL overall impact on Disney and the other is Pixar versus Disney releases. The acquisition was completed in May of 2006. My original point still is that JL has had an impact on Disney's recent hits (Tangled, Wreck-it Ralph, Frozen) introducing PIXAR methods of producing films. WDS has implemented the PIXAR "BrainTrust" method at the direction of JL. WDS has a version of it called "StoryTrust". It's no coincidence that the quality of WDS has changed much since it's implementation.

On your point, since the merger that would include Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up, Toy Story 3, Cars 2, Brave, and Monsters University. Only one of those suck and the PIXAR division is not watered down by churn and burn releases a la the Disney side of things. None of the Disney releases even approach Toy Story 3 or Wall-e or Up. Tangled and Frozen come the closest IMO. The rest? Nope.

The Disney side has released in that same time frame Meet the Robinson's, Tinker Bell, Bolt, Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure, A Christmas Carol, The Princess and the Frog, Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue, Tangled, Mars Needs Moms, Winnie the Pooh, Secret of the Wings, Wreck-It Ralph, Planes and Frozen. Aside from Tangled and Frozen none of those other movies were great. That doesn't mean I didn't love some of them like Wreck-It Ralph but that had to do more with my nostalgia for old video games. Planes was horrid and Frozen was not as good as Tangled but was still very good. Some people feel Frozen is Oscar worthy but maybe that's because of the competition in that category?! I simply did not think it was that level of good. Not disputing those 3 films were not good films one bit.

Maybe just maybe if The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory and Dia de los Muertos turn into mediocre films you might have a case IMO. The delay of TGD does not bode well for that one but we shall see. It's hard to compare the two simply because the Disney side of things is not above burn and churn. However, I did read that JL cancelled a ton of straight to video projects on the Disney side because he didn't want to dilute other properties. That's why we are not on Lion King 10 (straight to video).

I think Lasseter has a hard job. He wants both studios to do their own thing. Simply saying that I think Lasseter has had a huge influence on Disney since 2006 (even on the Disney Animation side of things) which was my original point if you go back to my first post. Even if you think that Disney has done a better job since the merger (IMO they have not) that doesn't change the fact JL has changed the Disney side of things for the better which would be bolstered by your praise of the last 3 movies.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Forget it, you've obviously missed the entire point and have decided to make this more complicated than it is.

How about this: The last 3 Disney Animation theatrical products have been better than the last 3 Pixar theatrical products. That's the whole crux of what I've said. I do not count Planes because that was a straight-to-DVD release put out in theaters to see if it would make money.

Instead, you've turned this into some massive Pixar fanboy argument. It's one thing to say, "I disagree, I think Brave, Cars 2 and Monsters U as a whole is better than Frozen, Wreck and Tangled," but it's completely another to ignore that and start the discussion over how Pixar is better historically over the past 15 years. Funny thing is, you won't get an argument against that, because it's true.

I don't think it's unreasonable to believe the Pixar has to step up its game because right now, Disney-branded product is better than Pixar-branded product. Pixar is falling into the Disney habit of releasing unnecessary sequels. Disney has done that for years, just not theatrically.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chap what the hell are you talking about? YOU are the one that turned this into a Disney versus Pixar..OFF. I was never going down that path at all. That was all you. I was just responding with the facts about movies since the merger and what JL has done.

I said "People said that Disney would turn PIXAR into a churn and burn internal division. The exact opposite has happened.".

PIXAR has not turned into burn and churn copycat of Disney's old practices of turning out a ton of release both at the theater and video with no thought to story. Which part of that original point was wrong? THAT was the start of the discussion. At no time did I start a compare off like you did.

You then said "What do you mean? Regardless of Lasseter or not".

I am saying it's not regardless. If it was regardless, why did Disney make him head of all animation and implement "StoryTrust" to mimic Pixar's methods? Why did they turn the keys over to him? Because Disney Animation was dying on the vine. You can't deny that. You also can't dispute since JL has taken over the keys, implemented Pixar methods that things have improved on the Disney side.

That's the crux of what I said.

I then responded to this statement "The argument is that since the merger with Disney", which was one of your key arguments. Again, I responded by pointing out that since the merger, overall, they have had some of the strongest movies in their releases.

You are the one that cherry picked and tried to steer the conversation in a direction I was never going. It's also total B.S because of Tangled, Wreck-it Ralph and Frozen that all of the sudden the brand is better. You can't erase the last 15, all the Oscars let alone the releases since the merger. However, I acknowledge that the next 3 releases and the quality of those films could definitely turn the tide.

If I had started a comment about lately or the last 3 that would be one thing but that was not the discussion one bit. Besides my praise is not as much about PIXAR as it is about JL. I have no doubt that probably sometime in the near future the name PIXAR could possibly disappear and both divisions eventually merging. Why has it not happened? Because the PIXAR brand is not as valuable?! Come on.

I think I posted that Planes was an attempt at testing the waters and blurring those lines to see if they could survive without PIXAR branding. That is the end game IMO for DISNEY. Guess what? That is OK.

I don't really care about the PIXAR versus Disney divisions as much as I care about JL continuing to guide the direction. As long as his vision and methods continue to improve the Disney brand overall, I could care less what division gets the most praise. Maybe you do.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If I had started a comment about lately or the last 3 that would be one thing but that was not the discussion one bit. Besides my praise is not as much about PIXAR as it is about JL. I have no doubt that probably sometime in the near future the name PIXAR could possibly disappear and both divisions eventually merging. Why has it not happened? Because the PIXAR brand is not as valuable?! Come on.

That WAS the discussion! I posted the comparison of the last 3 films on each brand--you disagreed by bringing up earlier films, which was completely beyond my original point. I never said Pixar wasn't valuable! I sure as hell never said that that the name Pixar would disappear. I simply said that the last 3 films from Disney Animation were better as a whole than the last 3 Pixar films. That's it! You had to drag this out into a bigger discussion, and I don't know why you felt you had to do that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chap....go back and read. You responded to my original post that had NOTHING to do with comparing the last 3 films. If you think that was the discussion I suggest you review the thread and my original point. You spun the conversation into another direction....not me. I simply responded to an inaccurate comment about films since the merger after the fact. My comments was specifically around churn and burn and Disney running ramshot over PIXAR and changing everything they do.

If you don't understand that......I simply can't help you.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap....go back and read. You responded to my original post that had NOTHING to do with comparing the last 3 films. If you think that was the discussion I suggest you review the thread and my original point. You spun the conversation into another direction....not me. I simply responded to an inaccurate comment about films since the merger after the fact. My comments was specifically around churn and burn and Disney running ramshot over PIXAR and changing everything they do.

If you don't understand that......I simply can't help you.

Right now, Pixar is looking weaker than they used to be. I don't know if you agree with that--and it could be that what you are afraid of might be happening--Disney Animation is cannibalizing the Pixar brand. My original comment was probably too general, which I apologize for, I should have said, "Except the last 3 Pixar products since the change have been mediocre at best." In the scheme of things, 3 movies might not seem like much, but it is alarming that the next Pixar movie doesn't come out for another year and a half. That means their last "masterpiece" (Toy Story 3) would have been 5 years earlier. Almost feels like they are scrambling in the face of increased competition within their own company.

Funny considering NOBODY, not Dreamworks and not Fox, can even come close to the quality Pixar, and now Disney animation, is known for.

I'm done talking down to you, as I hope you are tired of it as well. I respect you and your opinion too much to drag this out in this increasingly negative way.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I pretty much stated that I personally don't care which division does what as long as the talent stays in house and Disney continues down the path they are on with JL at the helm. So, in short I am not afraid of anything. If they keep Pixar separate or merge the two divisions is inconsequential to me.

What I really care about is the medium and the talent that is in house at Disney under the direction of JL. I agree with you none of the other studios even comes close although there has been some very good movies outside of the Disney/PIXAR umbrella (How to Train Your Dragon & Rango).

It's funny you said they are scrambling because I just read an article where both divisions of Disney (Pixar and Disney Animation) have both been complaining JL has not been spending enough time with each of them as he splits time between the two.

By the way Chap....5 minutes after I post I am good. We don't always agree but we both are passionate about the subject. Have a great Christmas or if you prefer Holiday!

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked this one a lot. It was cute and nice to see "true love" handled in a different way.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet, going tomorrow with my daughters.

But here is everything parents need to know about this film. This will be my daughters FOURTH time seeing it. They absolutely love it, run around singing the songs, listening to the songs, playing Frozen.

this has never happened before. Even kids movies in general we go as much because I wanna see the movies, I usually have to talk my kids into it, they'd rather be at home playing with their own stuff.

Whatever Disney did it struck the right chord with girls 7-10. I'm excited to see it with them.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This movie was amazing. That's all. It's nice going to these movies with my daughters because I can play off how much I enjoyed it by pretending I am only there for my kids. :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22