Gandhi's mock draft 1.0

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
About two weeks ago, I began a mock draft with some other danish NFL-fans. I obviously volunteered to be the general manager of the Cardinals. I thought I would pass on the result along with some thoughts throughout the mock draft to this board.

Here is a link to the entire mock draft: http://americanfootball.freeforums.org/gm-mock-i-2015-drafttraden-t223.html

First a few quick notes:

Overall, my philosophy towards the draft has changed a bit in recent years. I used to be all about getting the best value with each pick but I think rookies have become so important nowadays that I think you have to look at drafting for needs to some extent. With that in mind, I had my overall rankings, and then I had specific needs and fits to the Cardinals on another (imaginary) board. I guess it is pretty much what the Cardinals has in the real draft. It meant that I might choose to select a player that I did not think had the value in general at the spot but had the right value specific to the Cardinals.

I started the mock draft with the thinking that I would strengthen the run game and the linebacking corps. To me, that was the two biggest issues last season, and I think the Cardinals would at least be able to compete with the Panthers if those two elements had been better.

Not once, at any time, did I think about drafting a quarterback. I think Palmer will be back, I think Stanton is a good backup, and I think it is way too soon to give up on Logan Thomas. Maybe he will be good, maybe he will stay as he is right now, but he is Arians’ project, and I am willing to give it some time.

Nor did I think about drafting Melvin Gordon. As I said, I wanted to upgrade the run game but I don’t think Gordon is that special. I have seen my share of Wisconsin-games from last season, and I’m still not sure he broke a single tackle or at least got touch in any of them. Just kidding, but he DID have some huge holes to run through.

Now, on to the draft:

#24 – Traded with the Packers for their #30, #94 (third round) and #190 (sixth round). They got my #24 and #182 (sixth round)

My thinking:

When I was on the clock, I had three players I strongly considered (Paul Dawson, inside linebacker, TCU. Owamagbe Odighizuwa, outside linebacker, UCLA. Ereck Flowers, offensive tackle, Miami), and I thought at least one of them were likely to slide far enough that I would still get my shot at him. Yes, I also considered Todd Gurley, runningback, Georgia. I don’t like to draft runningbacks in the first round, and especially runningbacks coming off ACL-surgery, but I just think Gurley could maybe be a home run-pick. I really think he could potentially takes this offense to a new level.

If I could do it all over, I would probably have selected Odighizuwa right away. That’s basically because I am buying what Chopper has been selling for months, and especially since we now know that the defensive philosophy will not change. The outside linebackers are not the primary pass rushers to the Cardinals. They are run stoppers first with a very big responsible at setting the edge. I think Odhigizuwa are the best in the draft at doing that, and he can still really get after the quarterback. When I made this trade I was still worried (and I still am) about him only being a little more than a year removed from two major hip surgeries but that’s not really an excuse as I think his potential and upside will still make him a first round pick.

#30 – Paul Dawson, inside linebacker, TCU

My thinking:

Paul Dawson was the one out of the three that fell far enough for me to select him, and even though I kind of regret not drafting Odighizuwa I would be happy with this pick in real life.

Again, this is mostly because Chopper has me convinced that the primary pass rush comes from the inside linebackers, and I think Dawson is probably the best, most complete linebacker in this draft. His playing style reminds me some of Karlos Dansby because Dawson as well is very instinctive, yet is good enough, patient enough and has the football-intelligence to stay home, read the play and then make his move. He is great at blitzing the A-gap, he closes very fast, he can run from sideline-to-sideline, and he is very skilled at dropping in to coverage. I honestly think it’s hard to find holes in his game.

Obviously, I have no idea what happens to Daryl Washington, and this pick was not made because of him, but having Dawson would seriously diminish the need for having Washington back at full speed.

#55 – Alex Carter, cornerback, Stanford

My thinking:

I had not envisioned drafting a cornerback this early, if at all, but I thought the value was too great to pass up. I guess you could say that this was where my overall board ‘won’ over my Cardinals-board.

When the pick came up, I considered Arie Kouandjio, offensive guard, Alabama, and Preston Smith, defensive end, Mississippi State. I tried to trade back as well but didn’t get any offers that were good enough.

Alex Carter is a very skilled cornerback who has played in both zone- and man-coverage, and has excelled in both. For the last two season of his career at Stanford, Carter blanketed the opponents’ best receiver, and more often than not helped with the run defense as well.

I didn’t really think about Cromartie maybe leaving since I can’t predict the future but I don’t think that would have anything to do with this pick anyway. As I wrote at the start this was a value-pick, and since they often uses many defensive backs in nickel-packages there should be plenty of playing time to Carter. Besides, I think Powers is much better off staying where he is as the nickel-back.

#86 – Traded with the Saints for their #75, #109 (fourth round), and #205 (seventh round). They got my pick #86, #94 (third round) and #216 (seventh round)

My thinking:

After my previous pick a run on offensive linemen suddenly started. I wanted to upgrade the run game, and I think blocking is more important than the runningback, so I decided to pull the trigger, and move up to secure the last offensive lineman I had ranked in the first three rounds.

This was a hard trade to make. A very good friend of mine were in charge of the Saints, and he definitely knows what he is doing as it relates to the draft. So even though I didn’t really wanted to flee him, I wouldn’t have been able to even if I had tried. At the end of the day, I knew we would end up with a trade that both of us felt comfortable with but it took a long time to get there.

#75 – Daryl Williams, offensive tackle, Oklahoma

My thinking:

I think you could move Williams to right guard, and he will be a monster in the run game for years. Oklahoma had a very good offensive line this past season, and in run blocking no-one came even close to matching Williams.

He actually reminds me some of D.J. Fluker coming out of Alabama, and just like Fluker, I believe Williams could play some offensive tackle if needed.

I really think Williams could be drafted even higher, and I think if he were to be picked by the Cardinals they could have found their two starting offensive guard (if Cooper pans out) for a very long time.

#109 – Taiwan Jones, inside linebacker, Michigan State

My thinking:

More pass rush from the inside. At this pick, I was also considering Nick O’Leary, tight end, Florida State, and Henry Anderson, defensive end, Stanford. I just think they will be as patient with Troy Niklas as they were with Okafor, and that Fells looks like a keeper, and I didn’t select Anderson because I think the defensive line is stacked – maybe outside of a true nose guard.

I get that Jones has looked somewhat like a classic thumper this season, and that’s probably why a lot of people questions his coverage-ability. I just think you have to factor in that prior to this season he got moved to middle linebacker to replace Max Bullough, who was drafted last year, and that Michigan State does not ask their middle linebacker to do much else besides staying in the box. Taiwan Jones played outside linebacker for two full season, with many coverage-assignments, and he didn’t look lost at all.

Even if he should turn out to be the second coming of Kevin Minter (but probably better on special teams), I think that’s decent value in the fourth round.

#120 – Malcolm Brown, runningback, Texas

My thinking:

I didn’t think about selecting anyone else at this spot. I had it circled for a long time as the perfect spot to target Brown.

He is the runningback I would like the team to draft. Outside of Todd Gurley I don’t think there is a better fit. I think Brown has suffered from several things at Texas, including a big rotation of runningbacks, a bad offensive line, and a very unstable quarterback-situation. Obviously, at the end of the day, Brown has simply not been good enough but I really believe he will be a better pro- than college-player.

Brown runs hard, can make some nifty moves and though he is no speedster, he’s not slow either.

#151 – Chris Hackett, safety, TCU

My thinking:

Here, I thought about Deion Barnes, rush linebacker, Penn State. Nose guard, Xavier Williams, Northern Iowa. Offensive guard, Robert Myers, Tennessee State.

In the end I decided that the value was too good with Hackett, and even though I think players such as Rashad Johnson or Tony Jefferson are good enough, I also think they are replaceable. Like I wrote about Alex Carter, I am almost certain there would be plenty of playing time for Hackett in different packages.

Actually, I think he will get drafted a lot higher than this. I think he was available because he is not the fastest player, and his tackling-skills are not that good.

#190 – Max Garcia, center, Florida

My thinking:

I also thought about Chris Harper, wide receiver, California.

It’s high praise to call a sixth round-pick a potential starter but I really think that could be the case with Garcia. Besides, I think you got to have the mindset that you are looking for starters with each pick. He’s not a great athlete (though he has seen playing time at offensive tackle with Florida) but he’s so football-intelligent, strong in run blocking and at the point of attack, and plays with very good technique. I think he could at least challenge Sendlein, and maybe the loser of the battle could play guard if needed.

#205 – Bryan Thomas, rush linebacker, Bowling Green

My thinking:

I thought about Matthew Wells, hybrid safety-linebacker, Mississippi State, but not really anyone else.

Honestly, I don’t think Bryan Thomas will get drafted. I just like him, and think he could be a good fit or maybe just a good special teams-player.

He’s actually a somewhat complete player but unfortunately he doesn’t do anything particularly well. He’s best a setting the edge (against Wisconsin, Melvin Gordon ran 13 times for 253 yards, and the rest of the team ran 47 times for 391 yards. Not one time did a play bounce to the outside of Bryan Thomas) but in their bowl-game against South Alabama he almost lived in the backfield so he has some pass rush-moves as well. He has a very big motor, can get around the corner or rush inside, and his hustle-skills are what made me a fan.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Paul Dawson, inside linebacker, TCU
2. Alex Carter, cornerback, Stanford
3. Daryl Williams, offensive tackle, Oklahoma
4. Taiwan Jones, inside linebacker, Michigan State
4. Malcolm Brown, runningback, Texas
5. Chris Hackett, safety, TCU
6. Max Garcia, center, Florida
7. Bryan Thomas, rush linebacker, Bowling Green

I think I manage to achieve my goals. I think Daryl Williams would be a very good guard, and that Malcolm Brown could thrive in a rotation with Ellington and Taylor, and behind a much better offensive line than at Texas. I also think both Paul Dawson and Taiwan Jones would have a chance to earn a starting-spot – Dawson probably pretty quick, - and if Daryl Washington comes back, and maybe if Kevin Minter wakes up, the inside linebacking corps could develop into something special. I would have liked to add an outside linebacker earlier than I did but I simply didn’t think the value was right. You could argue that at least one of the defensive back-picks were sort of overkill but I thought the value was to get to resist, and you can never have enough talent on your roster.

We will probably do another mock draft again in a month or two, and obviously, I will pass along the result.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You had me a Paul Dawson. The fact that we could get him WHILE adding a pick?

You must be registered for see images attach

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
like your pick
dawson is not underrated anymore
the guy has great instict ,can read plays quickly , can cover and he is fast
the only thing it concern me from the tape. he missed some tackles,guess he should work better on his tackling skills

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Actually I really like it all-in-all. You hit a couple guys who are definitely interesting.

Carter, Williams and Hackett are all dudes Id be excited for.

Speaking on Dawson, word is he was a major issue at TCU. Hes by far the best player on the team, gamebreaker, stud. and they couldnt be happier hes gone.

I feel like 1st rounders should be safer in terms of character. If he makes it to us in the 2nd (and he might), then snap him up

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If Keim waits until the 7th round to address the pass rush, he should be fired. We simply cannot ignore this absolute glaring deficiency any longer. Like you said, drafting for need is no longer reaching, but necessary. I'll break the TV if we don't address this need AGAIN.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Interesting that you found a bunch of your fellow Dutch that much into the NFL draft especially at this stage.

You have some real good takes on your picks. I have to review some of the games I saw as well. Didn't really see much of Dawson or TCU this past season.

Dawson projects as a 2nd Rd. prospect and a fit for a 4-3 weak side LB.

TCU's beloved 4-2-5 scheme puts Dawson in position to pad his statistics. His instinct and agility project very well to a more traditional 4-3 alignment, especially at weakside linebacker. If he performs well in the workouts and interviews at the Combine, Dawson could earn top 50 consideration.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Keim waits until the 7th round to address the pass rush, he should be fired. We simply cannot ignore this absolute glaring deficiency any longer. Like you said, drafting for need is no longer reaching, but necessary. I'll break the TV if we don't address this need AGAIN.

Do you mean edge rusher, Stout? Because I made it a premise that the primary pass rush comes from the inside. It’s something Chopper has convinced me about the last couple of months, and I think I manage to address it fairly well.

By the way, I think it’s interesting that if you take the top ten productive edge rushers in terms of sacks from the past five seasons (32 players), only seven of them got drafted between the bottom half of the first round and start of the third round. That’s obviously nowhere near a thorough analysis, and you can definitely get good edge rushers between those two marks, but I think it might say something about the importance of edge rushers. Either they get drafted very early or teams are good at drafting later on and developing those players.

Interesting that you found a bunch of your fellow Dutch that much into the NFL draft especially at this stage.

Denmark, WildBB. :) Not Holland.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Very good draft! I think Dawson is an awesome fit. Also like the Carter and Garcia picks. Keeping with the same positions in the fourth I like RB David Johnson and ILB Stephone Anthony a little better, but good job!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Do you mean edge rusher, Stout? Because I made it a premise that the primary pass rush comes from the inside. It’s something Chopper has convinced me about the last couple of months, and I think I manage to address it fairly well.

By the way, I think it’s interesting that if you take the top ten productive edge rushers in terms of sacks from the past five seasons (32 players), only seven of them got drafted between the bottom half of the first round and start of the third round. That’s obviously nowhere near a thorough analysis, and you can definitely get good edge rushers between those two marks, but I think it might say something about the importance of edge rushers. Either they get drafted very early or teams are good at drafting later on and developing those players.

Denmark, WildBB. :) Not Holland.

I understand your premise, but it is crystal clear that we as a team have been lacking in edge rushing in particular. We MUST get pressure off the edge and haven't gotten it. I'm also not buying into the statistics of the draft and the last five seasons. We've criminally neglected the position for so, so long that I'll be extremely upset if we don't address it in a significant way, either in FA, the draft, or both.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Very good draft! I think Dawson is an awesome fit. Also like the Carter and Garcia picks. Keeping with the same positions in the fourth I like RB David Johnson and ILB Stephone Anthony a little better, but good job!

Great choices, OC75!

How sweet would it be to get a player out of Northern Iowa again? Turned out pretty well with Kurt Warner. My biggest issue with David Johnson is that I don’t think he plays with a very low center of gravity. I like that in a runningback because it usually gives him much better balance, and makes him very difficult to tackle.

I really like Stephone Anthony, and had I not picked Dawson for whatever reason, I would probably have selected Anthony in the second or third round. I’m kind of bugged that he got benched his junior-season apparently because he wasn’t able to learn the playbook. Obviously, he’s older now, has started a lot of games in a row, and maybe it’s not a problem anymore. I just think the Cardinals has to go after players that can make a different from day one. By the way, one of the thing Anthony did well last season in the games I have seen was covering tight ends. That’s should be a good selling point to Arians and Keim.

Another linebacker I like is Kwon Alexander out of LSU. He definitely has to gain some pounds, and I think it’s a fair question if he can maintain his athleticism and speed if he does add weight. However, if he stays at his current playing weight I think he could step directly in to the role Deone Bucannon played last season.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I understand your premise, but it is crystal clear that we as a team have been lacking in edge rushing in particular. We MUST get pressure off the edge and haven't gotten it. I'm also not buying into the statistics of the draft and the last five seasons. We've criminally neglected the position for so, so long that I'll be extremely upset if we don't address it in a significant way, either in FA, the draft, or both.

I agree, Stout, but I’m not so sure the coaches does. I could see them going after Jabaal Sheard or Derrick Morgan in free agency, and none of them are edge rushing-monsters. They do have the skillset required by an outside linebacker in the Cardinals’ scheme, however. It’s also been reported that they really wanted to draft Anthony Barr out of UCLA or Ryan Shazier out of Ohio State last year, and I don’t know that any of them would have played on the edge in Bowles’ scheme.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've criminally neglected the position for so, so long that I'll be extremely upset if we don't address it in a significant way, either in FA, the draft, or both.
Agree

We need to have some kind of consistent push from the outside. It would help this D tremendously. FA or draft it has to be addressed.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Reading up on the scouting reports on all the ILB prospects Dawson is the only one who can cover and also blitz well enough to be a real factor.He does havbe MAJOR CHARACTER ISSUES and work ethic issues.That right there drops him off my list for any consideration in ROUND 1.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Cards need QB pressure from outside also.There are more outside pass rushers this year.BASK can find a couple in the first few rounds.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Looking at reports on these ILBs
Kendricks UCLA-okay coverage,no blitzer
McKinney, Miss-ST-no coverage,can blitz
Perryman, Miami-no coverage,no blitz
Anthony , Clemson-can cover,flashes blitz skill at times
Tiawan Jones, Mich st-no coverage,can blitz
Ramik Wilson,Georgia-no coverage,no blitz
Hayes Pullard USC-,can cover,no blitz (no sacks in 2 years)
pretty underwhelming bunch for what Cards need

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

perryman is short but he has everything,his legs are phenomenal and is just underrated cause of his size
he can cover ,he can blitz and he is the best tackler coming out of college since ray lewis
but i doubt he will be selected by cardinals

Last edited:

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
perryman is short but he has everything,his legs are phenomenal and is just underrated cause of his size
he can cover ,he can blitz and he is the best tackler coming out of college since ray lewis
but i doubt he will be selected by cardinals

Scouting report
short levers hurt him in pass rush
heavy legged
not quick twitch athlete
lacks coverage traits
liability in man coverage
big hitter in area
old school type

the guy sounds like a very solid run stuffer to me.Louisville played Miami this past season 2014 and in a bowl game 2013 season.I don`t recall Perryman being outstanding or Louisville running for big yards.Bridgewater killed Miami with the passing game in the Bowl game and Cards won pretty easy this past season also.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scouting report
short levers hurt him in pass rush
heavy legged
not quick twitch athlete
lacks coverage traits
liability in man coverage
big hitter in area
old school type

the guy sounds like a very solid run stuffer to me.Louisville played Miami this past season 2014 and in a bowl game 2013 season.I don`t recall Perryman being outstanding or Louisville running for big yards.Bridgewater killed Miami with the passing game in the Bowl game and Cards won pretty easy this past season also.

another scouting report
Skill-Set Summary: There is a lot to like about Perryman. He is a very instinctive linebacker who is strong in run defense and operates well in pass coverage. The senior is a balanced player and a unit leader.

Perryman is a tough run-defender who can get off blocks and make tackles. He does a nice job of reading his keys and flowing to the ball. That allows Perryman to get in on a lot of tackles. He also attacks in the tackle box and is not making tackles downfield. Perryman does a nice job of snuffing out runs to help his defense with down-and-distance situations. While he isn't a burner linebacker, he is quick and plays fast via his instincts.

NFL defenses want inside linebackers who can contribute to pass coverage, and Perryman is very good in this phase, especially for a college player. He covers a lot of ground and does a nice job of covering receivers who came into his zone. Perryman has some ability to defend backs coming out of the backfield and tight ends running down the middle seam. If the senior continues to show pass-coverage skills in 2014, it could help his draft stock.

As a pro, Perryman looks like an every-down player who can be an inside linebacker in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense. With two seasons of experience, he could be poised for a big senior season.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
another scouting report
Skill-Set Summary: There is a lot to like about Perryman. He is a very instinctive linebacker who is strong in run defense and operates well in pass coverage. The senior is a balanced player and a unit leader.

Perryman is a tough run-defender who can get off blocks and make tackles. He does a nice job of reading his keys and flowing to the ball. That allows Perryman to get in on a lot of tackles. He also attacks in the tackle box and is not making tackles downfield. Perryman does a nice job of snuffing out runs to help his defense with down-and-distance situations. While he isn't a burner linebacker, he is quick and plays fast via his instincts.

NFL defenses want inside linebackers who can contribute to pass coverage, and Perryman is very good in this phase, especially for a college player. He covers a lot of ground and does a nice job of covering receivers who came into his zone. Perryman has some ability to defend backs coming out of the backfield and tight ends running down the middle seam. If the senior continues to show pass-coverage skills in 2014, it could help his draft stock.

As a pro, Perryman looks like an every-down player who can be an inside linebacker in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense. With two seasons of experience, he could be poised for a big senior season.

Now this is funny.Scouting report I read was from NFL.com.Who wrote your report?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
CBS sports rating Perryman agrees with your report.I wonder why there is such a big difference?CBS has Perryman #2 rated ILB and a Round 2 prospect.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CBS sports rating Perryman agrees with your report.I wonder why there is such a big difference?CBS has Perryman #2 rated ILB and a Round 2 prospect.

its walter football,but i saw other reports saying the same.
dont know why nfl.com scouting is so different
could u watch some video in you tube too, but i suggest u to watch highlights from single matches,so u can see the negativies and positive stuff

Last edited:

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

This is awful, whered you find this trash?

Kendricks is a lights out play maker in all phases of the game. His only knock is size

McKinney is fine in coverage

Perryman is fine in coverage and can blitz, he just wasnt asked to at Miami

Anthony is a fantastic athlete, one of my favorites

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
this is awful, whered you find this trash?

Kendricks is a lights out play maker in all phases of the game. His only knock is size

mckinney is fine in coverage

perryman is fine in coverage and can blitz, he just wasnt asked to at miami

anthony is a fantastic athlete, one of my favorites

nfl.com draft

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
nfl.com draft

The problem with nfl.com is that most of their evals are more than one year old and are based on what players did in 2013 and earlier.

You will see them modify the evals as certain players' stock starts rising...esp. after the combine when players turn heads.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05