Good of the ref to yell don't hold don't hold and not call it

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unreal, the guy had his arm around Haggans neck, the ref saw it, and didn't call it.

long_season

Veteran
Reaction score
i hope that gets some replay time on nfl network

or at least or local coverage airs it - that is CRAP.....

trying to calm down - wife already asked me to leave.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Pathetic no call. By all means lets throw out the rules on the game winning play because it would hamper the offensive team. This is the problem with the officiating in the NFL, there isn't any consistency on calls that effect the offense. Holding, pass interference, and roughing the passer all should not be subjective but are, and the resulting calls are generally in favor of the offense.

long_season

Veteran
Reaction score
can someone email the local news sites - unfortunatly I didn't record this game....I am so pissed right now.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Call me cynical, call me crazy but some things in my opinion are definitely not right.

I've gotten the feeling some things in my opinion are scripted in a lot of pro sports.... hey it's big business right?

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The holding on the last play was just ridiculous but you can't expect to get that call after letting them march all the way down the field from the 1 geesh unbelievable in many ways

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We had 99 yards, 2 minutes and 3 4th downs in which to stop the Titans.... We failed. Losers blames people like the refs. Winners face reality and try to get better... I hope this team is the latter!

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Was the guy yelling don't hold a ref or a coach on the sideline? The hold doesn't look as blatant to me on repeated viewings; lets see if this issue is raised somewhere other than these boards. Defense could have gotten off the field and our offense into victory formation and they couldn't do it.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's just bothersome because they screwed our final drive with a holding call.
That hold in the end zone when the Titans were backed up really screwed the Cards, but just like the Super Bowl that is no excuse. You have the lead with 2 minutes left, there is no way in hell that D should allow the offense to march 99 yards down the field for the W

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had 99 yards, 2 minutes and 3 4th downs in which to stop the Titans.... We failed. Losers blames people like the refs. Winners face reality and try to get better... I hope this team is the latter!

Oh I agree the defense couldn't stop Vince when they had to, but my point is if they call that hold, the game is over because they will take the time off the clock.

Really the play that killed me was the tipped pass by Campbell that could have gone to any of 5 Cards but went straight to the TE for a first down. Sometimes you're just not meant to win.

I'm assuming that was the ref because you could hear him throughout the game.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The holding on the last play was just ridiculous but you can't expect to get that call after letting them march all the way down the field from the 1 geesh unbelievable in many ways

Sure, but if they hadn't called the hold on us, Titans might not have gotten the ball back in the first place.

It's a great play and the defense didn't stop them, but in the end, if the ref sees it clear enough to yell it out twice, not calling it is hard to defend.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
That hold in the end zone when the Titans were backed up really screwed the Cards, but just like the Super Bowl that is no excuse. You have the lead with 2 minutes left, there is no way in hell that D should allow the offense to march 99 yards down the field for the W
Especially a guy like Vince Young who is a mediocre passer at best. But, we again sucked ass on defense on the last drive. Period.

That was a classic CP defensive series.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

82 I've had that feeling in more than one pro sports and sometimes it's even benefited my team, ala our run to the SB and the Cardinals winning the world series.

It's just my opinion but I get this very script like feeling in sports of all kinds.

It's not just about us losing one game, I've had that feeling in other games as well that had nothing to do with the Cardinals or a team I cared about.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would say that it was a classic lack of talent on the defense drive. We showed that we lack OLB that can both drop into coverage and rush the passer. We showed that our SS belongs blitzing the QB rather than covering at the end of the game. We showed that we lack true 3rd and 4th corners who can cover consistently. We shoed that our linebackers are below average athletically without Dansby in the game.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I would say that it was a classic lack of talent on the defense drive. We showed that we lack OLB that can both drop into coverage and rush the passer. We showed that our SS belongs blitzing the QB rather than covering at the end of the game. We showed that we lack true 3rd and 4th corners who can cover consistently. We shoed that our linebackers are below average athletically without Dansby in the game.

one of these days, we are going to get smart and add some talent at the OLB position to play right now. The window is closing for the team now as we now it.

We need to add 4 LB'ers thru the draft & free agency that can play

Reaction score
Seeing that replay pisses me off more, Dockett was held big time (jersey grabbing and pulling, as well as the hold on Haggans.
Sure, but if they hadn't called the hold on us, Titans might not have gotten the ball back in the first place.
Yes, that's what makes it worse, the hold that was called on Reggie Wells when the Cards would have had an additional first down on their last offensive possession.

But ultimately the defense didnt make a play when the needed one. They missed Dansby on the Titans last drive; Titans recognized it and attacked the open space Dansby would have been defending. :(

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Call me cynical, call me crazy but some things in my opinion are definitely not right.

I've gotten the feeling some things in my opinion are scripted in a lot of pro sports.... hey it's big business right?

Like the Super Bowl where the Steelers were killing us and suddenly they get a holding call in the endzone for a safety and Palamalu who had been helping blanket Fitz all night suddenly runs off to the sideline to cover air and Larry goes 60+ and then after the idiot Pitt receiver drops the scripted TD pass they have to run it again to the other side? OK Steeler winning TD take two.

:D

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Like the Super Bowl where the Steelers were killing us and suddenly they get a holding call in the endzone for a safety and Palamalu who had been helping blanket Fitz all night suddenly runs off to the sideline to cover air and Larry goes 60+ and then after the idiot Pitt receiver drops the scripted TD pass they have to run it again to the other side? OK Steeler winning TD take two.

Tim

Reaction score

I can't believe people aren't more upset about this. During the games deciding play, you can hear the audible from the ref saying, "Don't hold, don't hold."

Clark Haggans is the guy getting held by the right tackle as he is closing in on Vince Young. Without the hold, he would've hit VY before he threw the ball. That is clear. It's one thing to lose on a perceived hold, it's quite another when the ref is looking at the hold and acknowledging it during the play! That leaves a terrible taste in my mouth.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't believe people aren't more upset about this. During the games deciding play, you can hear the audible from the ref saying, "Don't hold, don't hold."

Clark Haggans is the guy getting held by the right tackle as he is closing in on Vince Young. Without the hold, he would've hit VY before he threw the ball. That is clear. It's one thing to lose on a perceived hold, it's quite another when the ref is looking at the hold and acknowledging it during the play! That leaves a terrible taste in my mouth.

Would have been a sack/fumble. VY had the ball hanging out about a half a yard to a yard from Haggin with no one in between except the tackles hands grabbing haggins jersey.

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Again, there was 59+ minutes of football played that could have made a difference in this game. It was a blatant hold and I saw it live in a bar without the sound. Don't know who was shouting don't hold but it should have been seen and called. No TD and back them up. They had timeouts left didn't they? They may get one more shot and who is to say VY doesn't throw a 20 yard TD pass, but that was a missed penalty.