Reaction score
Green: A man with a plan

Kent Somers

The Arizona Republic

Jun. 28, 2004 12:00 AM

Green speaking
A sampling of Dennis Green's favorite sayings:

• Philosophy of the three D's:

Desire: How badly do you want something?

Dedication: What price will you pay to earn it?

Determination: If you fail once, will you keep trying?

• SMART assessment:

Are the goals:

Specific?

Measurable?

Attainable?

Realistic?

Timely?

• Three ways

to evaluate a player:

Does he play hard?

Does he play smart?

Does he play physical?

One of Dennis Green's favorite sayings is that if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. And he takes that to extremes.

Green is always making lists, charts and schedules. If he's going fishing, he has a schedule and a strategy: the time he's going to leave home, what part of the lake he's going to fish first and a backup plan in case that doesn't work.

That planning, that preparation is part of what makes Green good at his job. He turned around college programs at Northwestern and Stanford and went to the playoffs eight of his 10 seasons with the Minnesota Vikings.

And those who have coached with Green believe he'll have the same success as coach of the Cardinals.

"I'm as biased as anyone because of what he's done for me," said Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick, a former assistant of Green's at Stanford and with the Vikings. "He's just an outstanding coach, and he will put together a winner there."

Green is brash, opinionated and tends to search for the positive in most situations. When he evaluated the Cardinals job, he looked for reasons to take the job, not to turn it down.

There was a young roster, an excellent salary-cap situation and a new stadium due to open in two years. He didn't look for explanations why the team hasn't won consistently since the mid-1970s.

"I don't really dig into how things work," he said. "I never have, because I think that every coach has a right to run a program exactly the way he wants to."

Billick equates that quality to Green's philosophy in preparing for the draft.

"He'd tell us, 'Don't tell me what this kid can't do. Tell me what he can do, and then we'll decide if what he can do is going to help us,' " Billick said. "I think a job situation is similar. Tell me what the good things are."

While Green loves to plan, he's not afraid to go with his gut, either. Those who have worked with him tell stories of changing lineups, shifting players to different positions and seeing a big picture that assistant coaches often miss.

"Denny could recognize what guys could do in his system," Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy said.

Green likes to say there is more room for thinking outside the box than in it, so he's not afraid to take chances.

"When Denny saw a certain ability in a player, he wasn't afraid to pull the trigger," Billick said. "Assistant coaches tend to be very conservative. They'll lean toward the veteran, because the veteran won't make a mistake. Denny's mind-set was that it was your job as an assistant to coach them up."

Not all of his former assistants are fans of his, however. After the team went 10-6 in 1999 and lost in the playoffs to St. Louis, Green fired two assistants, allegedly after telling his coaches they would return.

Green has denied saying that.

Four other coaches resigned, some after refusing to accept demotions.

But even some of those coaches praise Green's abilities.

"The thing he did probably better than most coaches is he got the most out of the players," said New Orleans assistant Dave Atkins, who was fired by Green after the 1999 season. "There are so many positives I've learned from him, from the structure of staff meetings to preparing for an opponent; how he talked to the team on a Wednesday, Friday and the night before a game."

Green credits former San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh for mentoring him and helping him get hired as a head coach. When Green was being considered for the Cardinals job, Walsh called team Vice President Michael Bidwill on Green's behalf. That call played a large role in the Cardinals' hiring of Green.

Walsh hired Green when Green was in his 20s and became almost like an older brother to him.

Walsh had been an assistant to the legendary Paul Brown and felt Brown hadn't done enough to help his assistants advance. Walsh was determined to be different, and he found a willing student in Green.

"He had a tremendous drive to succeed," Walsh said. "So whatever opportunity there was that made sense to him, he took and went for it."

The first coach to influence Green was George Hoensheldt, who coached Green in junior high in Harrisburg, Pa.

For practice, players had to run almost a mile to the high school, where there was a grass field. Hoensheldt followed them in his car and noted the numbers of the players who walked.

Players who were caught took a couple of swats on the rear after practice.

"He was very big on proving that you really should be on this football team," Green said. "You had to feel that you've earned the right to play."

While Green hasn't paddled anyone, he isn't afraid to do the unconventional. On most football teams, it's the lowest-level assistant coach who runs the scout teams. But Green does it himself for several reasons.

His interest makes the scout players feel important and do a better job in giving the starters an accurate look at what they might see on Sunday. It also gives Green a sense of the opponents' tendencies, and it helps him evaluate his team's younger players.

Green knew, for instance, when Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper was ready to start, or when guard David Dixon, a converted defensive lineman, was ready to play.

It's something Dungy and Billick learned from Green and do with their own teams.

"He has some unique things that he does to foster team chemistry, to keep those young guys going," Dungy said.

It might not seem like it at the time, but Green always has a plan, say those close to him.

When he and his family - wife, Marie, and children, Vanessa and Zachary - plan a driving trip from Phoenix to their home in the Del Mar, Calif., area, he sets the schedule.

"My wife (Marie) laughs about it," he said. "I'm going to lay out the plan. We're going to leave at this particular time, we're going to take these things."

He realizes, though, that some things are beyond his control.

"No," he said, laughing, when asked if he scheduled pit stops, too. "We have too many people who have to make bathroom runs."

Green's Clark Griswold routine doesn't bother Marie, who is also a list-maker.

"Do you know how fun it is at the end of the day to look and see everything crossed off?" she said.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
I really like the fact that Green likes having a plan.

Not trying to bang on Mac, but so many times last year it seemed we seemed to be without one besides "playing with our heart" and the same basic approaches to offense and defense. Maybe it just seemed that way because the results were usually the same; not pretty.

I am curious to see if Green will scheme for each opponent uniquely, to attack their perceived weakness, or will we attack every team the same trying to use our pereceived strength.

The other thing I am really curious about will be Green's ability to adapt the plan as the game goes on. I wonder if he has the ability to do this or if it is a reason why he has never won the "big one". Not to bang on Mac (again), but I never got the feeling he was a good side-lines coach and got schooled time and time again.

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
"The thing he did probably better than most coaches is he got the most out of the pla

That is gunna be the biggest improvment this year for us... IMO

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redheart said:
I really like the fact that Green likes having a plan.

Not trying to bang on Mac, but so many times last year it seemed we seemed to be without one besides "playing with our heart" and the same basic approaches to offense and defense. Maybe it just seemed that way because the results were usually the same; not pretty.

No we had a plan, the problem was the opponent always knew the plan too or so it seemed sometimes.

Completely agree, even though DG seems big on cliches, he also seems big on accountability and following through, I'm not sure Mac ever was.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tired of heaing about playoff record? I am.

Ten years from now, if Dennis Green is still the head coach, if we've made the playoffs 8 times and have yet to make it to the super bowl, it will still be better than the last 20 years of following this team.

I know most of you know this but it bears repeating. The Vikings missed a Super Bowl birth because of a missed field goal, by a guy who hadn't missed a field goal all year, from the middle of the hash marks, indoors with no wind. Sometimes theres no overcoming fate. Maybe , as it turns out, fate sent Dennis Green here. Maybe , if Gary Anderson makes that field goal, the Vikings go on to be Super Bowl Champs and Dennis Green is still the head coach in Minnesota.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump.

This is for Russ, and others. It's got guys like Dungy and Billick talking about how Green runs things and does personnel moves no one else would do.

Seems to be a very timely article that we all should've paid more attention to.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the particularly pertinent part:

While Green loves to plan, he's not afraid to go with his gut, either. Those who have worked with him tell stories of changing lineups, shifting players to different positions and seeing a big picture that assistant coaches often miss.

"Denny could recognize what guys could do in his system," Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy said.

Green likes to say there is more room for thinking outside the box than in it, so he's not afraid to take chances.

"When Denny saw a certain ability in a player, he wasn't afraid to pull the trigger," Billick said. "Assistant coaches tend to be very conservative. They'll lean toward the veteran, because the veteran won't make a mistake. Denny's mind-set was that it was your job as an assistant to coach them up."

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Bump.

This is for Russ, and others. It's got guys like Dungy and Billick talking about how Green runs things and does personnel moves no one else would do.

Seems to be a very timely article that we all should've paid more attention to.

agreed, very timely. Although I hate the SMART thing, we use that at work and it's the epitome of HR silly talk. Our review process is nonsense, it's so complicated we're outsourcing key things like benefits administration so HR has more time to "counsel" managers on how to do reviews and write SMART goals.

But that's absolutely a Walsh influence, he has a way of doing everything that he considers to be efficient.

Walsh always had the belief that it was better to replace a guy too soon, than too late.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:

Maybe this provides insight into the cutting of Pete Kendall.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Denny's Plan......

excerpt no. 69....

Things to do List for tomorrow......

1. pare down the list of office girls to have extramarital sex with.

:D

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
Denny's Plan......

excerpt no. 69....

Things to do List for tomorrow......

1. pare down the list of office girls to have extramarital sex with.

:D
Were you not just complaining that Green was Classless? You are being kind of hypocritical don't you think?

Tangodnzr said:
Sorry, we can no longer, as Card fans, "play the game for pete's sake". He was classlessly sent hiking by an ego maniac coach.

Last edited:

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hey....I'm not the adulterer.

Don't shoot the messenger. :wave: :thumbup:

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I'll keep this thread handy next time Tango launches into some ridiculous defense of Michael Pittman with his, "misunderstood..., second chance..., needs help..." crap.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just out of curioisity - and because no one ever responds when I ask this - where the hell have you been Tango for like the last month? Leave of absence or enforced leave of absence? Just curious (honestly - not trying to be a jerk or anything - but I can never get a straight answer about this).

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
I'll keep this thread handy next time Tango launches into some ridiculous defense of Michael Pittman with his, "misunderstood..., second chance..., needs help..." crap.

Doh.....was Michael Pittman an adulterer? Seems like he was more the "adulteed". Better luck next time with your baiting 10.5. :rolleyes:

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
just out of curioisity - and because no one ever responds when I ask this - where the hell have you been Tango for like the last month? Leave of absence or enforced leave of absence? Just curious (honestly - not trying to be a jerk or anything - but I can never get a straight answer about this).
Tango was banned for a week for being a turd. Again.
Ironically enough it was yours truly that lobbied for his reinstatement.
I missed arguing with them.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
Ten years from now, if Dennis Green is still the head coach, if we've made the playoffs 8 times and have yet to make it to the super bowl, it will still be better than the last 20 years of following this team.

I know most of you know this but it bears repeating. The Vikings missed a Super Bowl birth because of a missed field goal, by a guy who hadn't missed a field goal all year, from the middle of the hash marks, indoors with no wind. Sometimes theres no overcoming fate. Maybe , as it turns out, fate sent Dennis Green here. Maybe , if Gary Anderson makes that field goal, the Vikings go on to be Super Bowl Champs and Dennis Green is still the head coach in Minnesota.

This is really the problem in the big picture though. Green is not a closer. He does well in regular season but he still has a poor record and he never made it to a Super Bowl let alone win one as HC.

To say it all came down to that one missed kick is pretty lame. There are, what, 150 plays per game that effect the outcome. What you are saying is, Green and his coaches were perfect all game long and it was out of their hands. To that I say, there were probably 5-10 crap plays that were called by the coaches that led to them needing that FG (happens every game). Sorry but to blame Anderson is typical blindness to the entire game and giving Green further height on his pedestal he does not deserve. The Vikings were infinitely better than ATL but their coaches and players fell short all game long.

Cards fans are so starved for wins (I am too) that we will willing accept wins and playoff appearances without every really making continued progress once we get there.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
Doh.....was Michael Pittman an adulterer? Seems like he was more the "adulteed". Better luck next time with your baiting 10.5. :rolleyes:
The LAST thing you need to get into a pissing contest is bait.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

A little of both Cheesy.

I was sucker punched by Chandler Mike. Banned without even so much as an explanation at the time. I talked to Skkorp about it. I think he's pretty much aware of what went down. I felt the ban was very unjustified, but that's my personal opinion. I still support Jim and what he has tried to accomplish here. I have never had any problem with him, even when he, himslef, has given me "leave of absence".

After about 3 weeks I was reinstated. After that I simply chose to only lurk occasionally as I didn't really see much compellling to enter into discussion about.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Tango was banned for a week for being a turd. Again.Wrongo, actually, it was more like 3 weeks, maybe more,...Mr. expert on turdism.

Ironically enough it was yours truly that lobbied for his reinstatement. Thank you so much. Ironically it was a combination of my responding to some of your never ending baiting that was eventually used as a reason, once I was granted access again, in a PM by Mike. And again, ironically at least you weren't CS enough to ban me even though it was reputedly for my "counter-attack" on that thread.
I missed arguing with them.
Be afraid, 11, be REAL afraid.
WE are all every where, each and every one of us. :wave: :biglaugh:

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
You were banned for a week. That's why I lobbied for you... because it had turned into "indefinately" (instead of just a week). Comprende?

Look, you get banned for being an ass to people. It's that simple. Quit being an ass, and you won't get banned.

You're on what, five times and counting? At some point you should probably take some responsibility for yourself instead of blaming everyone else.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
You were banned for a week. That's why I lobbied for you... because it had turned into "indefinately" (instead of just a week). Comprende?

Look, you get banned for being an ass to people. It's that simple. Quit being an ass, and you won't get banned.

You're on what, five times and counting? At some point you should probably take some responsibility for yourself instead of blaming everyone else.

Banned for a week? by whom?
All I know is that it was Mike who did the banning. And there's more to the story than just being an "ass" in a few groupies eyes here. And some of the ramifications of Mike's actions, I say, go back to long before this board ever came into existance.

If it turned into being "indefinite" ...then that was done by whom?

Betcha it wasn't Skkorp.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:

I agree 11. But you have to keep in mind there is a good ole boy network for some of the people that know each other more personally than just via pc.

For instance a thread was closed when I was told I made a racial comment when it wasnt me but a member of the good ole boy network. But blame was put on me to make me look even worse to other posters here.

Sometimes its the indiviual, sometimes its the person who feels like secluding people they dont agree with. But I think you did an admirable thing by lobbying for tango. For better or worse he is a part of the board. I disagree with him often as well but enjoy it when we banter back and forth or he yells at me than ignores me for a time lol

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think you hit the proverbial "nail on the head" there SWD. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22