Greene moves Quat from slot position WR

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
ESPN's John Clayton has reported that Dennis Greene has moved Quan from the slot WR polition to an end-position receiver. Clayton said that Greene believes that Quan can be just as productive or even betten with the change.

Does anyone know what the techinical difference is, and who might be the Cards slot receiver for the 2004 season?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
WOW! This is actually very huge. That means he has taken the 'burner' spot in the offense...the position generally given to the speed receiver that stretches the field. This could very easily lead to us drafting Fitz. Hmm, how very intriguing. He could be doing this to open up the slot for Fitz. OR, he could be doing it as a draft smokescreen to make people THINK we're drafting Fitz. Cool news.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
The end rec is usualy he best rec in most systems. He is always on the field and runs the main routes. If you look at someone like Eric Moulds, that is what Quan will be doing. Always the #1 option and always running the big routes.

Someone like To or Moss are lined up in the slot occasionaly. They run the short quick routes or motion into a mismatch. If you ever watch the 49ers, they liked to run To in motion and send him across the middle and let him run with the ball. Moss also did this alot when he was a rookie.

I think Quan will be even better as the split end rec, because he runs such good routes. If a cb doesnt play him 100 % he is going to seperate easily just because of his route running.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's starting already folks... can you feel it?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
This also means a starting CB will be on him instead of a LB or nickle CB.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I didn't watch many Cards games last year (okay I watched 1), but I highly doubt defensive coordinators covered Boldin with a nickle cb or lb AFTER that first game he had last season. In every game after that if those defensive co-ordinators did that they should be fired.

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by vikesfan
I didn't watch many Cards games last year (okay I watched 1), but I highly doubt defensive coordinators covered Boldin with a nickle cb or lb AFTER that first game he had last season. In every game after that if those defensive co-ordinators did that they should be fired.

Strange you have taken such an interest in the Cardinals. Is it solely because of the hiring of Dennis Green? I'm not familiar with a fan whose allegiance is dictated by who is coaching a team. Not complaining. Glad to have you aboard for whatever reason you may have chosen, but I do find it strange, espescially since we are the team that eliminated your #1 team from the playoffs.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Redmark
Strange you have taken such an interest in the Cardinals. Is it solely because of the hiring of Dennis Green? I'm not familiar with a fan whose allegiance is dictated by who is coaching a team. Not complaining. Glad to have you aboard for whatever reason you may have chosen, but I do find it strange, espescially since we are the team that eliminated your #1 team from the playoffs.

Thanks for the welcome. I had no plan to stay here but it is the friendliest place I have come across on the internet and I do find watching what happens interesting. Wouldn't it be fascinating to watch a guy take over the worst team in the NFL and take it to the SB. Okay maybe I love football a bit too much. I do the same thing with Madden myself. Who will he draft what changes will he make etc... maybe it is more like an experiment then anything else.

In another post I explained about Green and the Vikings. I forget what the thread was called where I posted it. To sum up: DG was treated unfairly in Minnesota by much of the media and fans (some of it was racial); and for reasons of poetic justice I want to see him stick it to the DG-haters out there once and for all.

I am a hardcore Vikes fan - I believe a person should only follow 1 team and "hate" all others since any team could be the 1 that stops you from winning the SB. But in the interests of justice IF the Vikes can't win the SB I wouldn't mind if the Cards did. It is strange I agree, but I do want as much justice to exist in the world as possible anyway this is just 1 small thing. If I had a favourite player and he got traded to another team I would still want him to do well especially if the trade was unfair.

As for costing us a spot in the playoffs. Well I respect the fact that you tried to win as opposed to the Broncos who tanked it in GB.
I don't really blame you. I blame Red for getting in cheap players and coaches... coaches who go for it on 4th down instead of kicking the FG... who hire ST coaches who can't teach players how to cover onside kicks and defensive coordinators who don't know how to teach those cheap players how to cover a long Hail Mary pass... and the NFL whose ref system is a joke continually producing bad calls like the one on Poole. I said we would miss the playoffs if DG left and I have been proven right. Not that any of that makes me feel better. Knowing that the oncoming train will hit you doesn't lessen the pain when it does hit you.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
To me this is huge news, this means we ar defininately looking at Fits not Williams. It means we are in a market for a possesion WR. Owens, Fits Keyshawn, there is a lot more than this than meets the eye, mark this thread.Green already has his plan and is starting to implement it!!!!! this is GREAT!!!:thumbup: This will be a fun off season

cardsfan473

In memory of a REAL Hero
Reaction score
Come into the light, vikesfan.... You are welcome to come on board! :)

I too, hope Denny Green can turn it arround. There is no doubt the man is a good judge of talent. Hopefully, he will be allowed to have significant input, and get his type of players in here.

I'm just sick of loosing, and watching terrible football. I want to be entertained when I'm watching the game, not praying that it ends.

I'm of the mindset that our players are not that bad, but were not developed properly. I think the fact that we have had many players leave, and become successfull elsewhere is indicative of this. Hopefully, Green will be able to TEACH the core players, and build arround them.

I'm realistic, and not looking for miracles. I think with all the holes we need to fill, that 8-8 would be tremendous next season. I'm looking for playoffs in '05, and to be real contenders when the new building opens in '06. I want to see the new digs packed with Cards fans!

cardsfan473

In memory of a REAL Hero
Reaction score
And another thing,

If they move Q outside, then won't that mean that a safety will have to roll coverage to his side, thus opening the field down the middle - for say a one Mr. Freddy Jones? Hmmmm .... :)

I hope to see many points scored by this team next season!

If we are going to loose, then I want to loose 38-34.. etc....

BigRed

Cardinals for Life
Reaction score
two good posts Cardsfan473. I'm at the point where I at least want to see a good game and not see a blow out. Unless it's the Cards blowing out some other team which we haven't seen in awhile.

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score
Originally posted by CaliCards

and who might be the Cards slot receiver for the 2004 season?

Nathan Poole or Kevin Kasper.

:D

I'm kidding.

Well, maybe not...

Yeah, yeah, I'm kidding.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting indeed. The mental aspect of the game was an area where Coach Mac & Graves just weren't up to par with the rest of the league.

This is truly an aggressive move and shows Oakland that they can't trade down if they really want Fitz.

This may seem like such minutia to almost anyone, but it really does speak volumes to the draft positioning.

LET'S GET IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: It's nice to have someone in this organization to be a good "poker player" in situations like these.

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Until it happens...remember all the one-gap aggressive defense talk last year...this is a smoke screen. Not saying Quan couldn't (or shouldn't) make the move, it's just that I will believe it when I see it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the bigger question to me is, does this really make sense for Quan?

He's a great player and will be regardless of where he lines up, but an awful lot of his success last year came over the middle from the slot. My suspicion is Green watched a lot of game film and saw how ridiculously compressed the field was over the middle in Sullivan's offense last year and decided the smartest thing to do is move Quan outside to reduce the traffic and help Jones and the run game?

What struck me from Clayton's comments is he said Green wanted to do with our WR's what Walsh did with his original WCO, does this mean we're officially a WCO team again?

I don't dislike or like the move yet because I don't really know how it's going to change things on the field yet. If it reduces the amount of times the safety is sitting in the middle waiting to knock a WR out, or come up and stuff the run, that's a good thing. But if it puts Quan out of his best position, it could backfire.

I do think there's a clear message here about Fitzgerald being sent to the Raiders and other teams though, whether we really want him or not, I think we're clearly trying to send a message that we MIGHT want him.

spanky1

Reaction score
Russ,

The telegraphing of disinformation is underway......this is what is going to make our discussions between now and the draft so much more fun. Trying to separate fact from fiction....aaahhhh! MacInnes never played the disinformation game very much. Having Green's experience in this regard is cool.

I've been hearing "scuttlebutt" from teams attending the Super Bowl concerning Ben Roesthlisberger versus Manning. It appears that Ben R. is being rated much higher than Manning as the weeks move on. There is real talk that Ben R. may go #1.......and that SD will take him. This wouldn't surprise me at all.

My guess is that Oakland ultimately takes Fitzgerald #2, in which case Boldin will stay put and Roy Williams may be our pick and used at the WR end position.

In many respects, in the #3 slot, we have the pick that could affect how this draft unfolds for the whole of round #1.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by spanky1
Russ,

The telegraphing of disinformation is underway......this is what is going to make our discussions between now and the draft so much more fun. Trying to separate fact from fiction....aaahhhh! MacInnes never played the disinformation game very much. Having Green's experience in this regard is cool.

I've been hearing "scuttlebutt" from teams attending the Super Bowl concerning Ben Roesthlisberger versus Manning. It appears that Ben R. is being rated much higher than Manning as the weeks move on. There is real talk that Ben R. may go #1.......and that SD will take him. This wouldn't surprise me at all.

My guess is that Oakland ultimately takes Fitzgerald #2, in which case Boldin will stay put and Roy Williams may be our pick and used at the WR end position.

In many respects, in the #3 slot, we have the pick that could affect how this draft unfolds for the whole of round #1.

In that scenario don't you think we'd take Eli though?

I'm pretty sure I would and remember I'm one of the "skeptics" on Eli on the board. I do have Ben rated ahead of him, but with Ben and Fitz off the board I gotta think we'd take Eli over a WR or Taylor, unless Green really likes Josh and I just don't know if he does or not.

In that scenario it'd be awfully tempting to use Manning as trade bait too.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
In that scenario don't you think we'd take Eli though?

If that scenario played out, I think the Cards would almost be FORCED to take Manning as strange as that sounds. I think the hyoe surrounding Ben R is nice but I gotta believe most teams have Manning rated higher on alot of different levels. If Manning is gone, I think the Cards could...and likely would...fall back on the "Well, we had targeted and hoped Manning would fall to us but since he didn't, we chose..." plan.

If Manning is there though, I think they would be hard pressed to convince people that Manning wasn't rated higher. JMHO.

The wild card in this, as you point out, is if Green feels like McCown is a viable alternative for his team and he can convince Graves to go a different direction in drafting round 1.

spanky1

Reaction score
Russ,

If Ben R. were to fall to us at #3 my guess is that Green might be more tempted to go that route.....taking a QB that is. But I'm not so sure he'd feel that same with Manning. For me, I'm not interested in either of them.

I want to trade down with Cleveland but I don't think they will trade up unless Roesthlisberger is available and as I've said, he might be gone #1.

I agree with Skkorp that taking Taylor at #3 is flawed and won't happen but my reasoning is perhaps different in that I'm not a BPA thinker......and in this case, I really think Wilson will come into his own next year.

I think Henson is a lock for the Steelers and therefore I don't think they will be a trade down candidate either....they will want their #11 for a RB and Steven Jackson will be avaialable with this pick.

My guess is that if we don't do anything in FA with a DE, we'll take Udeze. If we do, then my guess is that we'll take Roy Williams.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I think it is pretty obvious that what Green sees in Quan is just an updated version of Jerry Rice.

I think Rice played the same spot in the offense and I would expect Quan to run a lot of the same type routes as Walsh used to do with Rice.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Until it happens...remember all the one-gap aggressive defense talk last year.
I'll drink to that.

Not meaning to nitpick but were those Clayton's exact words? (Sometimes a changed word or two can affect the entire meaning of a comment).

If What Denny actually said is that they're considering moving Q to #1WR, will try Q at #1WR or will move Q to #1WR for the time being - that would be a bit different from "I'm definitely moving him."

I also love the idea of a disinformation conspiracy theory re our draft plans (whether or not it turns out to be the case).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Until it happens...remember all the one-gap aggressive defense talk last year.
I'll drink to that.

Not meaning to nitpick but were those Clayton's exact words? (Sometimes a changed word or two can affect the entire meaning of a comment).

If What Denny actually said is that they're considering moving Q to #1WR, will try Q at #1WR or will move Q to #1WR for the time being - that would be a bit different from "I'm definitely moving him."

I also love the idea of a disinformation conspiracy theory re our draft plans (whether or not it turns out to be the case).

Nope he said the first move Green made in Arizona was moving Quan from Slot to SE.