Greetings from a newbie

Rohinic

Reaction score
Hey there guys, long time "lurker" on this frankly brilliant site who decided to start posting - hope you don't mind too much!

I've been a fan for around 20 years now - when I started following the team (which in Scotland is pretty tough to do), the depth chart listed Novo Bojevic (sp) and Carl Birdsong, amongst others! I think that was the year they drafted Anthony Bell in the 1st.

Anyway, I've got a few queries for the more enlightened amongst you:
  • The Offensive Coaches being interviewed seem to be from a more run-oriented background (Pitt, SD, GB), with the exception of Norm Chow. Do you think this is a deliberate move or merely coincidence?
  • Does Clancy P stand a real chance of returning as DC under a new coach, and if so, how much of our shortcomings were due to Coach Green's failure to move forward with the times (i.e Sherman, under tackles, etc)?; and
  • Whilst drafting Ted Ginn Jr would be sick, what do you guys think of adding Jamaal Anderson in the 1st Round to give us a better rotation (especially since Berry can't complete a full schedule)?
Personally, I'm glad the team are taking so long over appointing a new HC and don't quite understand why the Dolphins and the Steelers arranging 2nd Interviews is common sense, whilst the Cardinals is same old, same old. Maybe I'll feel that this time they actually thought about the decision, instead of giving it to the first person to wear the right coloured tie to the interview!

R.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. We have a couple of other UK posters, too. At least one...as many as three?

freebyrd

Reaction score
welcome, gimme' a starbucks and a cream cheese bagel
freebyrd

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  • The Offensive Coaches being interviewed seem to be from a more run-oriented background (Pitt, SD, GB), with the exception of Norm Chow. Do you think this is a deliberate move or merely coincidence?
Personally, I think it's probably coincidence. Of all the coaching candidates out there, there aren't many passing-oriented guys. Who else could we have talked to? That might tell you something about passing-oriented head coaches.
  • Does Clancy P stand a real chance of returning as DC under a new coach, and if so, how much of our shortcomings were due to Coach Green's failure to move forward with the times (i.e Sherman, under tackles, etc)?;
Again, JMHO, but I think it's probably 50/50. One, who else is out there for this position? We can't get a guy that's already DC somewhere because they're under contract. If we promote a guy form a position coaching role, it's a big gamble. Two, I think there's probably significant pressure to retain him from the ownership and part of the weeding-out process probably has to do with plans for assistants. And, (as a bonus reason), I think net-net there's more to be excited about Pendergast than there is to be down on him about.
  • Whilst drafting Ted Ginn Jr would be sick, what do you guys think of adding Jamaal Anderson in the 1st Round to give us a better rotation (especially since Berry can't complete a full schedule)?
I'm okay with that, depending on who else is still on the board. I think Peterson would be a better selection, and while I'm not in love with him, Thomas might be too (and Thomas is an absolute must if Davis is allowed to leave).

JMHO

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Welcome, Rohinic. Follow my commands, and Protect yourself at all times.

As for pendy, I bet it's less than 50% that he comes back.

Oh, and I'll take large papa johns pizza with the works and a coke.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welcome to the board this is a great place to talk cardinal football with real fans :) by the way ill take two large cheese pizzas from pizza hut and a liter of pepsi :)

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Maybe it is just me but I think it is just too cool that we have fans overseas.

There are sick people everywhere.

Starbucks does sound good, with the bananna muffin.

Welcome English!

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty insightful first post. I wouldn't mind Anderson in the first round at all. Welcome!

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
EUREKA! There is another sadist out there!

I think it's very clear that the Cards want to get this talented offense in gear. If they do hire an offense minded coach, then it'll be someone that is capable of running any type of offense and can adapt to defenses instead of relying on past success' like Green did. My gut feeling is Chow.

As far as Pendy staying, I don't think it's a loch, er I mean lock, but I too feel he was constrained playing within Greens system. I would like to see what he can do with more freedom. If the Cards do bring in an offensive guru, Pendy might get that freedom.

As far as the draft, I think they'll follow what they learned under Green and draft the best player available. You don't draft for need. The Cards always had the worst drafts before Green arrived. We were very lucky to get Boldin. Prior to that, Eric Swann was the best 1st round pick the Cards made after moving to Arizona. Even then we might have got him in a later round because everyone else doubted him. The Cards promised him they would take him in the first and honored that.

I won't ask you to buy anything since you guys took Madonna off our hands.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

I'll have my usual...reuben & fries, iced tea, no lemon.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can understand a long time Cardinal fan "who can't break the habit" becoming a regular on this board along with the rest of us nutso's, but a newbie!!!!???? Voluntarily?

What were you thinking?

Anyway, welcome aboard The Oblivion Express. I'd like some Laphroaig neat, and some scottish salmon.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Very insightful point about run oriented coaches. I would like to think our choices are based on the entire package and not just 1 phase of the game, but with this organization, one never knows.

I'll have a plate of corned beef and cabbage with a diet Pepsi.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Jamaal Anderson or Joe Thomas at 5 and you can't go wrong.Both are top notch players that fill a need. If the draft get's into the 20's, and Ted Ginn is still there, i make a trade and snag him also.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jamaal Anderson or Joe Thomas at 5 and you can't go wrong.Both are top notch players that fill a need. If the draft get's into the 20's, and Ted Ginn is still there, i make a trade and snag him also.

I'll second that motion and call for the vote.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05