Grimm Has Simple Approach

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
I haven't seen it posted yet. Good read.

Grimm has simple approach

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 7, 2007 07:12 PM
FLAGSTAFF - There is a day's growth of whiskers on the face, sweat stains on the cap, and the gray pullover athletic shirt has seen better days. It's Week 2 of training camp, and Cardinals assistant head coach Russ Grimm doesn't much care how he looks.

What he really cares about is how the offensive linemen he's coaching look.

No off-season move was more important to the Cardinals and coach Ken Whisenhunt than the hiring of Grimm, once among the game's better offensive linemen and now regarded as one of the NFL's leading teachers of offensive-line play.
You must be registered for see images
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1')

The dog days of training camp - this where Grimm is in his element, working on the field with players during the day and instructing them in the classroom at night. He has definite ideas about how to coach and how to teach, a philosophy gleaned from guys he played for, such as Joe Moore at Pittsburgh and Joe Bugel and Jim Hanifan with the Redskins.

If he had to describe it in one sentence, it's this: "I want to coach it the way I wanted to be coached."

He's not a yeller or a screamer, although Grimm will raise his voice. "You have to take him to the extreme to get him to yell," says Cardinals right tackle Oliver Ross, who played for Grimm with the Steelers.

What's the extreme? Committing the same mistake again and again.

"I always say, 'Hey, the first time you make a mistake, that's my fault because I didn't get the point across,' " Grimm says. "The second time you make it, we're going to have a problem."

Grimm begins the teaching process long before his players put on pads. It starts in the classroom, with one play on the board and blank sheets of paper in front of the players.

Effective simplicity

Some coaches like to hand out playbooks containing intricately designed plays, complete with footnotes that explain how assignments can change depending on the defensive look.

When Grimm is teaching, each player

.... continued

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0807cards0808.html

outoftheashes

Registered
Reaction score
I hope to see a few more articles that use a play on words with the name Grimm. :sarcasm:

EDIT: To clarify , on AZCENTRAL the link to the article is labeled "Grimm approach with Cardinals"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gambit

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
I hope to see a few more articles that use a play on words with the name Grimm. :sarcasm:

EDIT: To clarify , on AZCENTRAL the link to the article is labeled "Grimm approach with Cardinals"

To quote Sideshow Mel, I take it you would like to see the bad pun artists suffer the infernal machinations of Hell's Grimm Tyrant?

:D

Tim

Reaction score
The jump in quality of line coach from Everett Lindsay of a few years ago to Russ Grimm of today may be one of the largest upgrades in position coach history. There's no doubt in my mind that this team will be improved at running the ball. I still worry about protecting the QB. Our tackles could leave us longing for Leanard Davis and his false starts this year.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I always say, 'Hey, the first time you make a mistake, that's my fault because I didn't get the point across,' " Grimm says. "The second time you make it, we're going to have a problem."

I like that mentality.