Irish

Registered
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-hayesnets071008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Reserve forward Hayes to sign with Nets

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 11 hours, 51 minutes ago

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Free agent forward Jarvis Hayes plans to sign a two-year contract with the New Jersey Nets, a league source with knowledge of the negotiations said.

Hayes met with New Jersey management in Orlando, Fla., on Thursday and left confident that he’ll sign for the bi-annual exception that would pay him $4 million over two seasons. Once the San Antonio Spurs agreed to terms with Roger Mason Jr., on Wednesday, the Nets became a logical destination for Hayes, who is leaving the Detroit Pistons.

Hayes’ agent, Dan Fegan, has a strong relationship with new Nets GM Kiki Vandeweghe. They got together on several players, including Kenyon Martin and Nene, with the Nuggets. Fegan also represents new Net Yi Jianlian. The Nets had a meeting later on Thursday night with another Fegan client, Denver free agent forward Eduardo Najera.

The Nets could use part of their mid-level exception to sign Najera, who is believed to be seeking a three-year contract.

As the Nets begin rebuilding with a core of young players, Hayes, 26, gives New Jersey’s bench some veteran scoring pop and athleticism. After spending four years with the Washington Wizards, where Hayes had been a lottery pick in 2003, he played the past season with the Pistons.

Hayes, who is 6-foot-8, averaged a career-low 6.7 points in the regular season, and played a diminished role in the playoffs. He played once in the Pistons’ six-game Eastern Conference finals loss to the Boston Celtics.
Still, Hayes has a three-point touch and the ability to defend the perimeter that intrigued several contenders, including the Spurs and Phoenix Suns.

Hayes was mentioned as being a possible for the Suns. I'm not disappointed in that he's not viewed as much of a defender. If we wanted a shooter who can't defend, Alan Houston would be cheaper.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Well he might have been a nice pickup for us. And at 4 mil over two seasons, thats not too bad. But, we've already used our bi-annual exception so, whatever.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Nets also grab Najera:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-najeranets071108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Nets to sign veteran forward Najera

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 32 minutes ago

Free-agent forward Eduardo Najera will sign a four-year, $12 million contract with the New Jersey Nets, a league source with knowledge of the negotiations said.
Najera’s agreement comes one day after the Nets reached agreement with free-agent swingman Jarvis Hayes on a two-year, $4 million deal.
Najera and Hayes are both represented by Dan Fegan, who has a strong relationship with Nets GM Kiki Vandeweghe. They got together on several players, including Kenyon Martin and Nene, when Vandeweghe helped run the Denver Nuggets. Fegan also represents new Net Yi Jianlian.
Najera, who turned 32 on Friday, is an eight-year veteran who spent the past 3½ seasons in Denver. The physical forward also developed into a three-point threat last season, making 36.1 percent of his attempts.

As the Nets begin rebuilding with a core of young players, Najera and Hayes should help strengthen the team’s bench. The Nets valued Hayes’ scoring potential and athleticism.
Hayes, 26, played for the Detroit Pistons last season after spending four years with the Washington Wizards, where he had been a lottery pick in 2003. He averaged a career-low 6.7 points in the regular season, and played a diminished role in the playoffs, appearing just once in the Pistons’ six-game Eastern Conference finals loss to the Boston Celtics.
Still, Hayes has a three-point touch and the ability to defend the perimeter that intrigued several contenders, including the San Antonio Spurs and Phoenix Suns.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Wow. Two solid pickups for the nets. They get an outside shooter and an energy bruiser kind of guy. I would say the Nets have started on a solid offseason.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wow. Two solid pickups for the nets. They get an outside shooter and an energy bruiser kind of guy. I would say the Nets have started on a solid offseason.

except for that whole Jefferson for Yi trade. oops.

nowagimp

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-hayesnets071008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Hayes was mentioned as being a possible for the Suns. I'm not disappointed in that he's not viewed as much of a defender. If we wanted a shooter who can't defend, Alan Houston would be cheaper.

not much of a defender? how do you get that from this:

"Still, Hayes has a three-point touch and the ability to defend the perimeter that intrigued several contenders, including the Spurs and Phoenix Suns.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hayes’ agent, Dan Fegan, has a strong relationship with new Nets GM Kiki Vandeweghe.
This, aside from money, appears to be a factor in swaying free agents to sign with a particular team. Does Kerr, going into his second year as GM, have that kind of pull?

But, we've already used our bi-annual exception so, whatever.
I keep hearing this but I don't understand why is this a factor. Can we not in theory use a part of our MLE in the same amount as the bi-annual exception if we wanted to?

Sunsman43

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I keep hearing this but I don't understand why is this a factor. Can we not in theory use a part of our MLE in the same amount as the bi-annual exception if we wanted to?

Yeah I don't get it either. Most players are shying away from signing with Suns because they already have 5 to 6 wings and are only offering the minimum contract with questionable playing time. If they can somehow offer more - but less than MLE - then they could land someone.

As for Hayes - the Pistons forum is glad he is going. And three Pistons fans that I know say they hate his game. Didn't get much playing time with the Pistons, but appears he is inconsistent with his shot. No big loss for the Suns.

Now Suns must might want to focus on Devan George. Probably the only thing I can think of - unless as the Easy Valley article mentioned - they look at Miles or Devin Brown.

Either way - I am assuming Alando Tucker is going to be first crack at the rotation while this supposed wing Kerr wants has to wait to see if the 2nd year Alando has developed or not.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wow two good signings for the Nets they could be a real scary team next year if Devin Harris playes like he is capable of playing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
wow two good signings for the Nets they could be a real scary team next year if Devin Harris playes like he is capable of playing.

How do you figure? Richard Jefferson by himself is better than all four of the guys they've gotten in exchange.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
For one reason or another, Hayes was not much of a contributor on the Pistons. In the playoffs he averaged 5.5 minutes a game, 2.1 ppg on 30% shooting and 35.7% for three.

His regular season stats were better, but I kept hearing he was not able to make up for inconsistent shooting with strong defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan