How do you stop Ben's playmaking?

Reaction score
Ok, thought I'd kick off a discussion thread here for you guys. I'd like to know how you guys plan on stopping Big Ben. The man doesn't put up great stats, but he can extend a play and make something out of nothing - or as he likes to call it "playing backyard football". He seems to be pretty healthy and scrambling well... How do you think you should attack him?

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ok, thought I'd kick off a discussion thread here for you guys. I'd like to know how you guys plan on stopping Big Ben. The man doesn't put up great stats, but he can extend a play and make something out of nothing - or as he likes to call it "playing backyard football". He seems to be pretty healthy and scrambling well... How do you think you should attack him?

He has a huge arm which is worrisome. Adub is a great SS but coverage isn't his strong suit. I think it's key for the Cards to stop Parker early to neutralize the playaction with the big pass which is where I see trouble for the Cards D. If they can stop Parker I think the front seven could make life uncomfortable for Ben. Should be fun..

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I got a feeling Whiz will have some input into something like that.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Whisenhunt and Grimm know a lot about Big Ben.

Enough to fear what he can do, but they probably know his short comings too.
In Whis' first year the Cards played the Steelers and Ben had a pretty special game.
His most memorable turnover was from a INT by Wilson on a ill-advised pass to Heath. Even when the down and distance seemed impossible Ben converted, keeping the play alive with his legs and a big arm.

I think the Cards can get the ball from Ben a time or two, but I don't think that'll be the game by any means.

I'd bet the defense will play a modified version of the one they just played against McNabb. Keep him (in this case Ben) in the pocket and make him throw into coverage.

The question is, which defensive front will the Cards use?
They didn't fear the Eagle rushing game so there were a lot of 3 down-line sets.

The Steelers can run though, so you'll probably see heavier 4 man sets (ex. Smith/Watson/Robinson/Dockett) with the ends tasked on keeping Ben inside and taking up blockers vs the rush.

I wonder if Ben faces the zone blitz often? I know his D plays one, but scout D usually plays a mock of that week's opponents...

Dropping Docket/Berry/Okeafor into coverage from a 3-point may mess with his mind.

The defense needs to be ready to play to the whistle though, because some of Ben's plays will be a lot longer then 5-6 seconds.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Bring the gas!!! The Steelers Oline allows alot of hits to the QB. Blitz, blitz and blitz some more.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A week of Whis talking about how he was so important to Ben's development should be enough to get Ben's mind off the game plan. Ben might even launch into a tizzy during regular interviews. Ben will then throw three interceptions in the first quarter trying to force the issue.

That's my game plan. What's yours?

FYI, in general, the more you let Ben play "backyard football," the looser he becomes managing the game. That's when things break down for the Steelers' offense. For every big play he makes, coaches have to reign him in that much more.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know how you stop the Cardinals. All you have to do is cover Fitz and pressure Warner because we can't run the ball.

There's no way we can stop your ground game or Big Ben. We're doomed.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Roethlisberger is basically god like. The man has two sandwiches named after him, we can't even get What-a-burger to name a sandwich after Warner. It's pathetic

OP
OP
N
Reaction score
A week of Whis talking about how he was so important to Ben's development should be enough to get Ben's mind off the game plan. Ben might even launch into a tizzy during regular interviews. Ben will then throw three interceptions in the first quarter trying to force the issue.

That's my game plan. What's yours?

FYI, in general, the more you let Ben play "backyard football," the looser he becomes managing the game. That's when things break down for the Steelers' offense. For every big play he makes, coaches have to reign him in that much more.

Everyone has some pretty good ideas to discuss, but I think you'll find a lot of us actually prefer the game in Ben's hands as opposed to our OC calling plays. Ben has been under quite a bit of pressure each week, and yes sometimes he does get caught with his pants down and throws a few INT's but he's actually been pretty patient in the playoffs. I can see him throwing one INT possibly.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
This is where O needs to post his: "Meet my little friend" video clip of A-Dub taking out Trent Edwards!

;)

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Can Ben get rattled? We know Kurt can't, but can Ben? Keep in mind I mean get to him without the use of late hits.

OP
OP
N
Reaction score
Can Ben get rattled? We know Kurt can't, but can Ben? Keep in mind I mean get to him without the use of late hits.

I don't think Ben can get rattled, after the Ravens, Titans, Patriots, Cowboys, Colts, Eagles, Giants, Redskins blitz attacks I think he'll feel pretty comfortable out there (especially when you don't have Ratbirds and Eagles taking cheap shots after the whistle)

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Like we did last year...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone has some pretty good ideas to discuss, but I think you'll find a lot of us actually prefer the game in Ben's hands as opposed to our OC calling plays. Ben has been under quite a bit of pressure each week, and yes sometimes he does get caught with his pants down and throws a few INT's but he's actually been pretty patient in the playoffs. I can see him throwing one INT possibly.

I was being silly of course, but it was funny to see Whis get in Ben's head through the media when Pitt came here last year -- and it seemed to work.

Probably not something that will work twice. I admit that.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
The Cards defense needs to stop the Steelers running game and play the receivers close. We led the league in takeaways and need to continue causing fumbles and interceptions. The Steelers will have problems covering all of our receivers and people coming out of the backfield. However, but if the Steelers can sustain a pass rush on Kurt throughout the game it will negate a lot of our offense. but that goes for both teams. Should be a great game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05